Sold a bike on ebay but having problems :(

Soldato
I sold a Bike last weekend on eBay for £1200 and the buyer paid straight away but took him till today to collect.

On collection the buyer gave me a QR code but we couldn’t get it to scan and while trying to figure it out “posted” was clicked (by him) now it seems I can’t even enter the 6 digit code because ebay thinks I’ve posted the bike and is holding my money for 10 days.

He convinced me he is genuine and I will get my money, he does have good feedback and sells bikes on eBay. I took a photo of him with the bike in my house with his consent and security cameras would have captured him as well, also all communication was through eBay where he openly says he’s collected it. So with that I let him take it.

what worries me is the buyer will not just mark as received at his end, is first language isn’t English and I’m struggling to get him to understand I need him to confirm he’s received it, instead he just keeps telling me “just wait you will get paid don’t worry I know ebay very well, U new on ebay that‘s why” I’ve been using eBay for over 20 years and have more feedback than him!

Also I can get the QR code to scan now but it just takes me to my listing and still unable to enter the code.

Any advice on what to do next would be appreciated

Soldato
“just wait you will get paid don’t worry I know ebay very well, U new on ebay that‘s why”

Made me chuckle.

If he has good feedback, then benefit of the doubt for now.

Soldato
Yeah, you've been done. Royally stitched up like the proverbial kipper. You can say goodbye to your bike and also to any money you think is coming your way. To be blunt though, it's your own fault. You've let some dodgy foreigner ride off on your bike without getting payment first.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah. You've probably lost the bike and the money.

So many times by so many sources, even adverts and banks now, you're told to receive cash on collection.

No ifs, no buts.

Unfortunately this lesson was an expensive one.

You might be lucky,but you're in the realms of trusting a stranger. You have no recourse to grt money or bike back.

I'm surprised you let this happen if you've been using ebay for 20 years!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Guys the buyer has already paid as it was on a “buy it now“ but eBay is holding the money, I have the collection code but yes I know I’ve been stupid and can’t think why for the life of me I let it go. But I need advice not ridicule!

I wonder if I could click on “Mark order as not dispatched“ it would allow me to use the QR code which is proof of collection?

Soldato
Guys the buyer has already paid as it was on a “buy it now“ but eBay is holding the money, I have the collection code but yes I know I’ve been stupid and can’t think why for the life of me I let it go. But I need advice not ridicule!

I wonder if I could click on “Mark order as not dispatched“ it would allow me to use the QR code which is proof of collection?
Didn't the buyer helpfully click 'posted' though?

Caporegime

Might be best to ring ebay. You may well be fine. Especially if the guy is genuine. If it all goes well you've got away lightly!

I don't think much else you can do.

Caporegime
You know the classic scam here.
You'll know you're screwed if you get a "item not received" resolution case notification.

The buyer will have to wait for the "estimated delivery window" to expire to initiate this.

Do you have this on the listing?
Has it passed yet?

Last edited:
Soldato
Buyer clicked posted on your phone?

Also you can always mark as not dispatched afterwards. Although don't know if that allows you to use QR code.

Also I hope all this messaging is through the ebay messaging system.

I would have phoned ebay a long time ago. If you are going to let someone collect something expensive, I would always ID them. Treat it like you would sell a car.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom