Sold a bike on ebay but having problems :(

Soldato
Guys the buyer has already paid as it was on a “buy it now“ but eBay is holding the money, I have the collection code but yes I know I’ve been stupid and can’t think why for the life of me I let it go. But I need advice not ridicule!

I wonder if I could click on “Mark order as not dispatched“ it would allow me to use the QR code which is proof of collection?
Give it a go, although the item is dispatched so maybe better to wait for ebay to release the money. Not sure how this would work as a scam if payment made and you have evidence of him taking the bike?

Soldato
OP
You know the classic scam here.
You'll know you're screwed if you get a "item not received" resolution case notification.

The buyer will have to wait for the "estimated delivery window" to expire to initiate this.

Do you have this on the listing?
Has it passed yet?
There’s no estimated delivery time has it was for collection only.

Soldato
OP
Buyer clicked posted on your phone?

Also you can always mark as not dispatched afterwards. Although don't know if that allows you to use QR code.

Also I hope all this messaging is through the ebay messaging system.

I would have phoned ebay a long time ago. If you are going to let someone collect something expensive, I would always ID them. Treat it like you would sell a car.
Yeah I was trying to find a way to enter the code and was a bit flustered because I’ve never encountered this code thing before, not sold on eBay for a while and the buyer said let me show you and just lent over and pressed “posted”, i wasn’t happy and told him he shouldn’t have done that but he just said don’t worry you’ll get your money I sell bikes on eBay why would I risk my reputation.

All messaging was through ebay and I did try to call ebay but they were closed.

Soldato
@pumaz Get 6 digit code off him?

Proof of collection

Proof of collection is required to protect you against item not received cases.

For proof of collection you can:

Use the eBay app to scan the QR code the buyer received through email
*Use the eBay app to manually enter the 6-digit code the buyer received through email

Last edited:
Soldato
Hope it all works out.

If he has good rep and sells a lot of stuff youll likely be fine.

I guess he could have the wrong code with him, but very strange for him to click posted.

Unless that is somehow the scam...

Can he then say, not received.

Soldato
OP
Give it a go, although the item is dispatched so maybe better to wait for ebay to release the money. Not sure how this would work as a scam if payment made and you have evidence of him taking the bike?

My worry is if I click the unmark as despatched button it will somehow make things worse, yeah I have him making payment to eBay, arranging to collect and talking about already having the bike through eBay messenger and photo evidence of him with my bike in my home and he is also in photos of his own current eBay listings. He as been on eBay since 2015 and has quite A few listings for expensive bikes and parts on eBay but I’m a natural worrier!

Soldato
My worry is if I click the unmark as despatched button it will somehow make things worse, yeah I have him making payment to eBay, arranging to collect and talking about already having the bike through eBay messenger and photo evidence of him with my bike in my home and he is also in photos of his own current eBay listings. He as been on eBay since 2015 and has quite A few listings for expensive bikes and parts on eBay but I’m a natural worrier!

Good luck with it chief!

Associate
If it's been over 90 days since your last sale, even if you're an old member with thousands of feedback, Ebay holds your money. Especially with such a large amount.

For £1200, and a large item you can't post, ebay is too dangerous. I wouldn't mark as not dispatched. Let the hold finish, and contact ebay to find out when your money's free.

Now, the real threat is the 180 days for a refund if he paid via PayPal. Technically he could do a charge back if he paid by credit card, but you should be safe from getting scammed after 6 months.

If it comes down to fighting a case, you have pics to prove he took it. If he sent messages claiming he got it, then he can't claim non-delivery. Only "item not as advertised", and he'll need to return the bike. If he does, make sure it's the same bike.

Associate
I am sure if will be fine, have some faith that there are some decent people left. Ebay can be tricky sometimes, but in this case you have nothing to worry about, you have the messages and proof. You will get your money fine, I would contact Ebay to confirm what has happened and ask them to sort it, but is just their system making it awkward for you. Ignore the peoole trying to tell you the worst.

Soldato
Hang on, you let someone take your bike, and he gave you a QR code in lieu of cash...is that right?

One born every minute... "Here take a £1200 bike, even though the payment has not cleared"

Also would not be scanning some random QR code someone gave me, you might want to do some research into them...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'd want cash or BT for an expensive item, PP is like taking a cheque.
Don't know how he paid into ebay, could be Debit/Credit card for all I know. Ebay just informs me he's paid not how. Also with him inspecting and collecting it, i think he'd have a hard time returning it after a few months.

Back
Top Bottom