Sold expesive board on ebay, seller says its faulty

Man of Honour
Im half expecting him to drop it off at the post office on Saturday, maybe he's just too busy in the week to drop it off, however, if there's no tracking info available from Saturday onwards, then he's pretty screwed as both me and my partner work and have to collect any parcels on a Saturday from the post office, as stated above, he has until Friday to get it in my hands.

That won't make the slightest bit of difference because they will be able to use the tracking info and see when he has posted it off. If you are not in when RM try to deliver it that is hardly his fault is it? Ebay will see that he has posted it so it's in your best interest to pick it up asap otherwise it will probably go against you by default. I fully expect you to recieve a different or trashed board back from him. Something was not right about this from the start.

Soldato
OP
My money is on never hearing from the again.

I don't think i'll ever hear again either, its a loose loose situation for him......see below.

That won't make the slightest bit of difference because they will be able to use the tracking info and see when he has posted it off. If you are not in when RM try to deliver it that is hardly his fault is it? Ebay will see that he has posted it so it's in your best interest to pick it up asap otherwise it will probably go against you by default. I fully expect you to recieve a different or trashed board back from him. Something was not right about this from the start.

as above, its a loose loose situation for him as he's taking so long to send it back, even ebay themselves are getting suspicious now, so far (Friday) still no tracking info, still not sent it, basically, if it comes back to me, working fine the same as I sent it, I can appeal and file a false claim, (he's claiming a defective / non working item) he then has to pay me postage to return it too him, if it comes back as you stated, trashed or even serial numbers not matching my records, serials tampered with, damaged in anyway, missing accessories, or not working, etc, ebay will give me 6 days to investigate whats wrong with it and where to place the blame, day 1 will be my tests, day 2-6 will be sent back to where I brought it from and hopefully they can tell me whats wrong with it, i'll ask for a report and forward that to ebay, its obviously something he's done to it himself as I could have thrown it off a wall and still had it working fine with the amount of packaging around it.

I think he's looked up the return policies and is panicking and just thinking, whats the point in sending it back, strictly has to come back to me in the condition with all packaging as I sent it to him in.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I might be wrong on the amount but I think ya need 1000 posts or more to unlock members market.

Every one expect loads of new posts from Jamin280672 he aint far off LOL :p

LMAO :D:D:D:D:D:D "Thinks he had better getting posting more !!!!!"

Although I don't have anything to sell anymore, just sold 2 960 evo's on ebay, and that MSI X470 board, quite happy with my system now, so got nothing to sell.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Saturday post missed and still not sent it, I think this is probably the end of it now, I don't think i'll ever see the board again, if he truly was complaining that the board wasn't working, when I pointed him to the return policies and stated the board had to come back to me in the same condition as I sent it to him in, I think this is whats turned him, and he's thought "Oh crap"

Soldato
OP
Been tempted to post this for a while, please someone tell me if I was being unreasonable in these messages, this is from the beginning until the last time I head from him. the messages are in revers order:

11 Jul
You sent a message
Have you sent the board back yet ?, both me and ebay are waiting on you, it is required to come back to me in exactly the same condition as I sent it in, I will also be checking serial numbers on the board match with what I have taken note of, make sure the sticker is still on the board and untampered with.

10 Jul
eBay opened a case on your behalf

10 Jul
You provided return information

10 Jul
You approved the request

09 Jul
You sent a message
EBay, also please note that the buyer was very pushy for the original invoice / receipt, evidence of this can been seen in my messages, I was advised by my supplier not to give this to the buyer as it contained personal information

09 Jul
You sent a message
Why are you so scared to send the board back to be tested? Sounds suspicious to me, I've not been unreasonable, just asked you to send it back for testing, I don't do refunds without testing

09 Jul
You sent a message
Didn't sell it cheap, sold it for 30 quid less than I paid for it, if was faulty, I wouldn't have sold it in the first place, I would have just returned it to *** computers for an exchange or refund, packaging was adequate as the board was wrapped and protected with air bags, it was a heavy duty boot box, nothing else in that box requires protection, still waiting for you to send the board back to me for testing, only person wasting time is you, like i said if you've damaged the board, just admit it, I think you've flashed the wrong bios to it, but I'll soon find out,if so, you'll get a nice paper weight back, I've received plenty of boards in my time with less packaging around them, you have my address, send the board, no refund will be issued until I've tested it, the quicker you post it back the quicker you get your money back.

09 Jul
The buyer sent you a message
It may have been working but why did you sell it so cheap, also Ebay the postage of the item was very poor the item was posted in a shoe box. Just authorise my return let me return the item and issue me with a refund so I can buy a new motherboard for my pc build. ASAP or I will just take it up with my credit card company you are wasting my time on purpose.

09 Jul
You sent a message
As can be seen in the pictures, full working order, completely lit up, Ebay, please hold off whilst the board is tested for damage after I've received it back from the buyer

09 Jul
You sent a message
Like I said, return it to me, if it was faulty, I would have returned it to *** myself instead of selling it as it's still under full warranty, I will forward it to them for examination after I receive it back from you

09 Jul
I just want my money back it doesn't work and stop wasting my time. Just let me return this item and be done with this so I can buy a new motherboard. If you are going to waste my time like this I will have to ask ebay to step in and resolve this for me. Thanks

09 Jul
You sent a message
Please send it back to me and I will send it to ***online who I brought it from who will test it and tell me what you did to it, give me a report

09 Jul
I just want to return the item and get my money back I've tried to use it to build my new pc and it does not work .

09 Jul
You sent a message

09 Jul
You sent a message

09 Jul
Selling faulty items, ebay will also be informed

09 Jul
You sent a message
If malicious damage is found ebay will be informed

09 Jul
You sent a message
Tested before sent and was in full working order, please return to be tested again

09 Jul
connected up everything but does not power on. I need to return this item. Thanks

09 Jul
You sent a message

09 Jul
The buyer (louibibi) created a return (**********)
Reason for return
Doesn't work or is defective

Last edited:
Associate
Nah, those messages are reasonable enough. The only iffy one is sending the "if malicious damage is found", I think I would have held off on that one a bit . You haven't been way over the top or anything. He's had time to get it posted back (or get someone else to take to post office). If it was a faulty board, I'd have expected you to have got it straight back, he just sounds like a chancer/

Soldato
I know this does not help right now but do what is needed to get in the Members market (Not sure what the access requirements are).

Amazing people in there, never a duff experience yet, even when things go wrong, there is an explanation and things are sorted out amicably.

Some of the nicest people on the forums are in there. Sure, there maybe the odd "chancer" but they get found out and dealt with. The boys make a visit for a chat and a cup of tea :D OcUK has some of the best stalkers on the planet.

Sure, pricing is more "buyer friendly" but there are no hassles for the seller. Ebay is the wild west of online selling if not buying new and even "New" can be iffy.

Soldato
I know this does not help right now but do what is needed to get in the Members market (Not sure what the access requirements are).

Amazing people in there, never a duff experience yet, even when things go wrong, there is an explanation and things are sorted out amicably.

Some of the nicest people on the forums are in there. Sure, there maybe the odd "chancer" but they get found out and dealt with. The boys make a visit for a chat and a cup of tea :D OcUK has some of the best stalkers on the planet.

Sure, pricing is more "buyer friendly" but there are no hassles for the seller. Ebay is the wild west of online selling if not buying new and even "New" can be iffy.

But if you have a bad exsperience like my son did in members market then you are stuffed as well as the person can only be banned from selling thats all no refund.

Soldato
All that serial number nonsense means nothing.

Can you prove that was the item you sent to the buyer in the first place? Only way I could see you doing this is someone making a non stop video of you packing and delivering to the post office/ courier.

Soldato
OP
All that serial number nonsense means nothing.

Can you prove that was the item you sent to the buyer in the first place? Only way I could see you doing this is someone making a non stop video of you packing and delivering to the post office/ courier.

Well im just an end user seller, just an average Jo, not overclockers UK, its not like I have multiple items of that same board, if he had of received a different board, he wouldn't be claiming a defective item, he be claiming for wrong item received.

Soldato
Well im just an end user seller, just an average Jo, not overclockers UK, its not like I have multiple items of that same board, if he had of received a different board, he wouldn't be claiming a defective item, he be claiming for wrong item received.

I don't think you get what I'm trying to say.

It's a known scam.

Buy a broken item cheap.
Buy another of the same working.
Raise case saying working one is broken.
Return the broken one to the working ones seller.

I'll only sell on MM, AVF or Gumtree face to face.

Soldato
OP
I don't think you get what I'm trying to say.

It's a known scam.

Buy a broken item cheap.
Buy another of the same working.
Raise case saying working one is broken.
Return the broken one to the working ones seller.

I'll only sell on MM, AVF or Gumtree face to face.

oh I see what you're saying, ebay themselves will know what he's up to though, they can see his purchases, they have full access to his account, ebay themselves will be able to see that he's brought a faulty one and a fully working one, lets say £20 for the non working faulty one, and £145 for mine, they will know what his game is from the moment I escalated the claim, they've looked into his account and they've looked into mine.

Soldato
oh I see what you're saying, ebay themselves will know what he's up to though, they can see his purchases, they have full access to his account, ebay themselves will be able to see that he's brought a faulty one and a fully working one, lets say £20 for the non working faulty one, and £145 for mine, they will know what his game is from the moment I escalated the claim, they've looked into his account and they've looked into mine.

You're assuming the scammer will have bought the dodgy item from the same place as the good one.

Unlikely if they have half a brain.

Soldato
OP
You're assuming the scammer will have bought the dodgy item from the same place as the good one.

Unlikely if they have half a brain.

True, well still not sent any boards back to me, looking more and more suspicious everyday, if you had a defective item that you brought from anywhere, how long would it take you to get it back to where you brought it from, weekend is nearly over, I think he was either expecting me to just issue the refund and take his word for it that it was defective, or offer a partial refund, just trying it on.

Soldato
True, well still not sent any boards back to me, looking more and more suspicious everyday, if you had a defective item that you brought from anywhere, how long would it take you to get it back to where you brought it from, weekend is nearly over, I think he was either expecting me to just issue the refund and take his word for it that it was defective, or offer a partial refund, just trying it on.

It'd be in the post as soon as my little legs could get down to the post office!

I had a faulty item from Ebay a couple of years ago, contacted the seller, agreed a return, and I despatched it the same day.

Back
Top Bottom