Solid State Drives (SSD's) explained

One

One

Soldato
I bought this

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-003-SD&groupid=1657&catid=2101&subcat=2103

I read the thread but all the different software and different controllers confused me.

I will be installing Win 7 Ultimate to it and using it as my main C drive. Is there anything I should do to my laptop before it arrives, and do I have to do firmware upgrades or anything like that?

Should I also install programs (i.e. MS Office) on it? Where would music files be better stored as I have the option of either the SSD or HDD?

Associate
You want the SSD to speed up operating system, I'd install all my programs on there, and maybe a couple of games too if you want them to load faster. I wouldn't really download things onto mine personally. They are about speed at the moment, not space.

One

One

Soldato
SSD has lifespan of how many writes it can do. Store music on a mechanical drive. Install programs on it. Put pagefile on mechanical. Disable certain windows tasks that arent needed once you have an SSD.

Take a look at this guide, it says vista but it's basically the same:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?47212-Vista-32-64-SSD-Windows-Registry-tweaks

Thanks for this link, how much of the stuff is relevant to Win7? The OP says stuff about TRIM and Win7 does it, is there other things Win7 has set up to deal with SSDs? According to the spec my SSD can be fully written over 665 times and I don't think I'll ever manage that.

Last edited:
Associate
New to SSD's looking for advice!

Contemplating trying the windows 8 trial download, I thought getting an SSD and installing it on there, whilst keeping my existing and working Windows 7 setup on existing HDD.

I have a Gigabyte GA 965P DS3 with 4GB of DDR2 memory and an intel Core 2 duo E6600 2.4 Ghz.

Would I be able to change the bios to boot from the SSD first to run windows 8, but still run other progs such as Outlook, ITunes etc, without having to re-install all of them on the SSD.

I just wanted to try both windows 8 and an SSD to see whether my printer scanner etc would work or whether I need to replace those as well!

Caporegime
This is with SSD Caching !

BEFORE

f9QAY.jpg

AFTER

BikTD.jpg

hrNI.jpg

Back
Top Bottom