Some interesting/horrific facts about the Nazi party to impress my Father over dinner?

Permabanned
Hugo Boss the designer suit maker beloved of modern yuppies manufactured many of the SS uniforms, (God help them if they used fur...) although they were actually penned by Karl Diebitsch and Walter Heck. Although putting both US and British army uniforms to shame, style and fit wise, they were not the the "winning" design ;) Does this give you any ammo for over breakfast debate? The sad fact is history is being castrated for political correctness in some educational establishments, so your father's interest will soon become sub judice ;)

Soldato
A rather fetching picture of Hitler leaning on a tree in lederhosen (Google it) featured on the front cover of the June 1940 German edition of Gay Times.

Permabanned
You want to check out Nazi propaganda history, how they fooled the nation and political tactics they used......how they brainwashed the German people under the guise of nationalism.

Very interesting to read and more relevant to today than you might think.

With the "Internet" and its widely disseminated information (or misinformation), readily available to the "ill educated working man" it would be be naive to think similar propaganda might not be more successful in current times... Nationalism seems to be on the rise across Europe, so technology, so beloved of the modern youth, is a double edged sword. Probably, without the Internet, mass European migration and current nationalism, would not be anything like so prevalent. Without the mobile phone and the Internet, sub Saharan men would be unlikely to even be able to pinpoint the UK or Germany on a map, let alone to think them so desirous.

Soldato
I just googled this.

London’s Richmond Golf Club didn’t stop play when the Nazis were bombing them in 1940. They just adjusted their rules. “A player whose stroke is affected by the simultaneous explosion of a bomb may play another ball from the same place. Penalty one stroke.”

Soldato
OP invite mags round for dinner, surely that would be far more entertaining, albeit may scar your father for life

Permabanned
Adolf apparently knew how to serve Eva a nice cup of tea?

eva.jpg

Soldato
The most sobering bits for me, and why I wouldn't have a GD post about idle Nazi chit-chat:

It was Dr Mengele:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josef_Mengele

Who was the most hands-on sadistic Nazi.

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonderkommando

The sickening idea that to survive as a Jew, you had to process your own ready for the gas chamber only for you to be disposed of as and when they felt like it.

The only fact from me is that:
Joy Division, the band were named after term for the brothels at Nazi concentration camps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Dolls

Soldato
I kind of get that the op wanted to put the title "My families appreciation of that splendid Mr Hitler" but instead came up with an equally dodgy title lol

Anyway, IBM helped facilitate the holocaust as they had a contract with the nazis for hole punch machines (very basic computers) at main railway junctions and concentration camps and serviced the machines at the camps on a regular basis. The machines were used to create and read prisoner information cards which had all manner of details about the prisoner including their fate. IBM i believe have always claimed ignorance and that they didnt know what the machines were used for despite engineers going to the camps to install and service the machines frequently.

The nazis needed the machines to help track and move such a mass of prisoners for death camps in an efficient and orderly manner.

Man of Honour
They discovered the Ark of the Covenant in 1936, but rather than study it in a controlled environment, they allowed a crazed French archeologist to open it. This resulted in the deaths of several high ranking Nazi officials, a member of the Gestapo and over a dozen troops. Thankfully, a man by the name of Jones was able to recover it. Its present location is unknown, but it is apparently being looked after by "top...men..."
:D

Soldato
They discovered the Ark of the Covenant in 1936, but rather than study it in a controlled environment, they allowed a crazed French archeologist to open it. This resulted in the deaths of several high ranking Nazi officials, a member of the Gestapo and over a dozen troops. Thankfully, a man by the name of Jones was able to recover it. Its present location is unknown, but it is apparently being looked after by "top...men..."

You may laugh,

But Himmler was obsessed with the supernatural.

Even Hitler thought Himmlers tree didnt go to the top branch. But since he performed his varuious "Duties" with a sufficient degree of enthuiasim and effectiveness, his more bizarre behaviour was tolerated.

The underlying narrative behind "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and the Castle Wolfenstien game franchinse are actually a lot closer to the truth than most people might realise.

Caporegime
The Nazi's exploited environmentalism to help brainwash generations of youth into some of the worst parts of Nazism:

One of the most striking aspects of this history is the role that young, ecologically minded Germans played in the success of the Nazi Party. As Staudenmaier writes, the German youth movement in this period was the key cultural force that popularized volkisch ideas amongst the general public. The youth culture rejected civic engagement outright and embraced a communal, back-to-the-land lifestyle instead. They perceived the social and ecological challenges of the day as too great to be resolved through the political process. As Staudenmaier points out, however, this passive attitude predisposed them to fascist zealotry and the youth movement was “actively realigned” when many thousands of them later joined the Nazi Party. Staudenmaier suggests that this mass transition from political passivity to Nazism is unsurprising, however. The youth movement’s total rejection of the emerging social landscape did not accompany a willingness to examine it critically or transform it through the political process. And as a result, Nazi propaganda and promises of irrational “quick fixes” to social problems struck a deafening chord.

This story offers us a cautionary tale for the contemporary moment—a tale that speaks to the importance of forging learning environments for young people in which feelings of powerlessness and hopelessness about the state of society can be met with empathy; transformed through critical thinking and dialogue; and channeled through civic engagement. It is also a tale about the importance of examining the motivations of some parties calling for ecological sustainability today, as well as who is included in the sustainable worlds they envision.

G0G

G0G

Associate
I was going to tell you how long it would take for 6,000,000 people to walk past you if you were just standing still, to get a perspective of the horror of the Nazi regime into some manifestable notion - but sorry to say I couldn’t find it.

If any mathematicians can help?? :D

Back
Top Bottom