Some life advice appreciated

Soldato
Depends what you're looking to do tbh... in theory you can even work at google without a degree, in reality it would be much harder to land the initial interview let along get though it all. You'd have to have acquired the same sort of knowledge required of their other candidates regardless so why not get a degree.

I would second this. I've managed so far without a degree, but I was lucky in that I made a sideways move into an entry level role that didn't need a degree and have worked my way up from there. I can now usually get by with having 15+ years of experience in my chosen field in lieu of a degree. This is the public sector though, I understand the private sector can be a bit harsher. If you don't mind being saddled with student debt, then I'd seriously consider a degree.

Associate
OP
Just wanted to come back to thank you all for your inputs, I did read through them all but spent a week or so having a proper think of where I want to go and want to do.
Everything got a bit on top of me and I felt like something had to be done this second or the world was gonna end haha.

Whilst I do really want to do something in computers, there is no need to make any rash decisions or movements, I'm staying where I am for the time being. But, and forgive me for addressing it like this @BUDFORCE , if I can help it before its too late I don't want to be in that situation in 10yrs. Like you have said, it is borderline a corrupt industry and I can't help but think it will eventually have another downfall on the country...

But anyways, started studying for the CompTIA A+ cert on the side of work, and would need to make sure the degree route would be a sensible choice - whilst it seems a great option and the debt wouldn't bother me at all, I'm not 100% certain I'd be cut out for it.
But the A+ could possibly get me an entry role somewhere and at worst it will brush my knowledge up on the beginner/basic stuff. It's not even expensive either.

I will be talking this out with my uncle as well like a few have suggested. Not just yet, he came back from a 2-week holiday this weekend and has a lot on at the moment. So I'll likely bring it up sometime in the new year.

Thanks again :) Back to embracing the things I do enjoy!

Soldato
. But, and forgive me for addressing it like this @BUDFORCE , if I can help it before its too late I don't want to be in that situation in 10yrs. Like you have said, it is borderline a corrupt industry and I can't help but think it will eventually have another downfall on the country...

!

Hah no your fine mate, I made my bed.

Turns out since this topic I got a new job start in a month, same thing but working from home and a fair bit more money.

God damn capitalists...

Soldato
Mortgage's are a tough game to make any long term money at unless your doing volume business.

What about branching out to Financial advisor (pensions/investments etc) along with mortgages. Cross sales etc are fairly easy from one to the other.

Doesn't take long to get qualified - has your uncle considered that part of his business?

Associate
OP
@BUDFORCE Congrats! At least there is some pro's to that job move, all the best.
Nice to have the option to work on the couch in ya pants! :p

@booyaka it is certainly possible to get into the 6-figure bracket though. It's just taken some of the guys I know as long as 15+ years to get their client bank. Just don't think I'd look back and be happy about what I'd put myself through.

That is a good suggestion, I've met past employees who have gone on to become IFAs from the position I'm in. But I know it's just not something my uncle wishes to delve into. He's always been clear about keeping it to just mortgages and the associated insurances.
Plus with the recent influx of "complaints" from people trying their luck for interest-only compensation, I couldn't imagine him wanting to change either.
It's a small business and he's getting on for 60 now.

I believe it's the whole financial services industry, it's not for me. Working with banks and solicitors. I'm not a seller.

Associate
OP
Then now is the time for you to look into management training so you can take over when he retires. And even if you move elsewhere or choose another career, management training is highly transferable.

This is something we have touched on before. He mentioned getting me to understand the business and compliance side of things, so that if he wasn't around (his son lives in US and there's always been talks of him and my aunt re-locating for parts of the year) that I would be able to run the business.

I suppose some management training on the side wouldn't be a disadvantage. I'll certainly have a look into this.

It's just difficult to feel motivated for an industry you have no vague interest in.

Man of Honour
IT is a mug's game right now. Technology is still changing at a rapid pace and you will have to reinvent yourself every few years

To counter this point, the type of industry you describe where things are changing at a rapid place is arguably the type of environment where mugs will struggle, because they will not be able to adapt to the change. For some people an environment where you can succeed by reinventing yourself and applying general principles, soft skills, innovative thinking, rapidly adopting new technology etc is actually quite appealing because it opens up many opportunities for them rather than being a closed shop. It's one reason why tech has a number of relatively successful young entrepreneurs, because they have a platform now to disrupt the market.

Yes, if you train exclusively in some specific technology, and refuse to branch out from that as things move on, then it may not be a long-term career path compared to I don't know, farming perhaps. But I don't think that makes the industry a mug's game, I think it means people who are highly inflexible in their approach and put all their eggs in one basket are potential mugs, unless they've chosen a very good basket.

Caporegime
^^^ this

Way too many people out there who take a paint by numbers approach and expect almost everything they do to be spoon fed to them on a training course.

As far as IT careers are concerned I don't think technology is increasing particularly quickly... the core knowledge/skill set people develop over their careers is still generally useful

Someone who was a java developer back when I was just a school kid could well still be a java developer today, they need to keep up to date with various changes but their core skill set, the way they think etc.. is still there. Perhaps they change how they work a bit when scrum is introduced on a new project, they're still relevant.

Someone who has been a linux/unix sys admin type for a decade or two could well still be one today, they've kept up to date with changes but their core skills/knowledge is still relevant... maybe someone in their company decided to introduce "devops", so they perhaps change how they work slightly, they're still relevant.

Someone who works in application support for a decade or two, still knows SQL, still has some basic unix/linx knowledge, can search log files etc.. has a general understanding/experience of how software goes wrong etc.. they probably have some specific domain knowledge. All that isn't going to change too drastically.

Associate
If the market you are in right now doesn't interest you at all, take a step back and think if it could interest you at all in the future.

Sometimes being stuck in the same old daily routine can turn tasks into a bore. Have a think if there are any aspects of the job you do enjoy and if you can do them more and the parts you don't like less.

I moved from IT to an industry which I never saw myself in, however, the future potentials of growing into management is what encourages me to stay and learn more.

You should definitely have a sit-down and talk with your uncle, he may not know necessarily what you are doing or may have ideas for something else he wants to try :)

Also, try something in your spare time, whether it's learning something new (studying wise) or if it's simply something to fill your time (get into golf, fitness etc).

Caporegime
There is value in all work, a nation of scholars would soon starve.

The trick is to find what works for you, not for what you percieve others to think of you or your job. If you’re the CEO of Megacorp, great, if you’re the bloke who washes Megacorp’s bins, great. For both examples, somebody has to do it.

Don’t fall into the classic pointy-shoe trap of trying to out-do each other through status or titles or cars or whatever. That is exactly what employers and big business want - you and I at each other’s throats, fighting like cats in a bag for newer, bigger, better, shinier, faster etc etc. That’s how they make money and keep you in hock to them. For life.

Be your own person and to blazes with the rest. If you don’t like it, walk.

Soldato
@gingergamer The A+ is a great place to start and once completed I would also look at the other CompTIA packages, Security+ and Network+ as you may find that either of those really suits you, the IT Security sector is on a bit of a boom at the moment and I know of a couple of businesses who are struggling to fill roles, sadly I cannot afford to take an entry level position otherwise I'd be in there like a shot.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Do you want to work in IT or financial services? You need to answer that question before anything else.

If you choose IT then apply on a distance learning degree whilst you're working full time and get a qualification in that. Once you're qualified find a low-level position and build some experience. 24 means you're only 3 years behind someone who has already graduated, so in reality it's nothing to re-train at this stage. There's going to be a pay drop but that's inevitable when you re-train.. you may find that your uncle would let you earn some extra money on the side with weekend work or contracting?

Don't go too far down the road where you are now because in 10 years time you'll regret not taking the risk and the pay drop may be too much to realistically consider once you've got a mortgage and children to support.

Soldato
My first job out of uni was as a "financial adviser", though back then I was basically collecting weekly premiums off old people for small life and savings policies for 2 days a week and the other 3 trying to get new business.

Although I strolled through the qualifications and was able to sell pretty much any financial product, I was 21 and didn't really believe in what I was selling, I was living for the moment and if found it hard to be credible or believe what I was saying.

I left the industry as a couldn't sell, I don't know you can be successful if you're not a natural salesman or truly believe in your product.

Soldato
Work for yourself? Find something you enjoy doing and make a business out of it on the side, until it's decent enough to go full time. That's where I'm at just now. Librarian (which is a nice number) but wanting to own my own business.

Soldato
Can I firstly stress that I really do hate to be making this kind of topic. I apologise for the rant and lengthy post, as there’s XXXX number of people in an identical situation and not for a second do I consider myself a special *********.

But with no objective opinion to turn to in real life at the moment and a lot of the members here straight talking, wiser and more experienced than myself, I thought I might as well get some food for thought.

I’m 24 now, being quite the computer geek growing up and always interested in tech, I studied computing back in college. After deferring studying networking at uni to work for a bit, I got involved in recreational drug use for a couple years which led to a ‘living for the now mentality’ stuck in a catering job to pay for my weekend nightlife (I’d like to point out that is all behind me and has been for some years now, and I have been through MH therapy which finished earlier this year).

This lifestyle, and somewhat downward spiral, was likely recognised by my family, as 5 years ago this January I was offered a role by my uncle at his small, independent (however most successful in our town) financial services, starting as a mortgage administrator and going on to get the necessary qualification to become a mortgage adviser myself March 2017, as well as basically the office manager at present. And the job role really is comfortable. Pay is good, office location brilliant, I can have time off where needed - he even said I could have a month off to go travelling next year if I wanted when the topic came up.

I can’t explain the gratitude I have for his support over the years, he’s always been someone I can go to for advice in general life and has done masses for me in this job.

However, even working with very successful self-employed mortgage advisers showcasing the career potential possible, I can’t help but feel so incredibly lost in life right now. It’s probably accurate to assume that there is not one broker in my office that loves mortgages, and it actually saddens me to think about my future unfolding as quickly as it seems to be currently, to then look back and wonder why I stayed where I was all that time.

I don’t have any get up and go about my current role. Despite being qualified for over 18 months now building up a client bank has been very slow/non-existent, and I can’t ignore a large part of that fact being my lack of motivation for the industry. There is very little I am in fact motivated for. It’s spells of intense passion and motivation that seem to die off after a few months at most, and then back to existing the day in-day out cycle of life.

But I feel like I am at such an impasse with no options. The thought of staying where I am, doing what I do for the rest of it pains me every single day, with this voice in the back of my mind telling me I got to be cut out for more than this surely.

With no family or emotional connection to you guys I suppose I’m after some sort of raw, unsweetened, truthful guidance and advice which I would usually get from my uncle. I apologise if this is a bit much for a Monday, but I had to get something out somewhere!
I hate to be the one to say this but welcome to the world. There isnt a person that know that doesnt feel an element of this whilst also being in a "stable" job. Suck it up, you are one of the lucky ones, a lot of people would kill for the opportunity and life fulfilment that you experience.

On the other hand dont suck it up and make the best of it, get out there and do what you want to do and fulfil your every desire and want in life.

My wife often has these moments and i also do, be it a little less often. Ill tell you what i tell her regularly. Take a step back, look at what you have, what you have achieved and how you got to where you are today. Get some perspective in someway or another. If you can do all this and not feel any sense of pride or achievement then maybe it really is time to do something drastic. Im 36 and only a little older than you but i know for a fact that in my parents time you worked and provided for your family and if you were able to achieve this then you were a winner and didnt need to even know what was over the next hill. A dare say that they were extremely happy doing so as well.

Im sorry if this sounds a little harsh and im not saying that what works for me or them should work for you. I just think that the expectation that the young people are encouraged/pressured to expect these days can be a little unrealistic and has the danger of leaving some a little empty. Maybe its time to lower some expectations?

Just remember that happiness and fulfilment can be found right at your own front door, not just at the summit of Everest. If i feel a little lost i personally travel to my old mans place in the middle of the countryside and wander around the fields for a bit. When i have experienced the "simple" life for a bit it gives me a humbling boost for the future. Do you not have some "fields" that you can go wandering around in?

I wish you all the very best buddy in whatever you decide to do going forward.

Back
Top Bottom