• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

SOME RYZEN 7 1700 OVERCLOCKING!

Associate
Could indeed be the case, will know more tomorrow after testing 1800X. :)

This is why you buy from OcUK because not one other reseller does this level of testing, but then more importantly shares those results with its customers.
We sell them all but if I truly believe the £330 CPU can do everything the £500 one does, then I will recommend the £330 one. :)

Of course 1700X and 1800X will hold the advantage with XFR working within a 95W thermal, so those will boost much higher out the box and a lot of our customers do want the fastest out the box solution which of course the 1800X offers.
It is exactly as you've been hinting all along. So refreshing to see a retailer acting like this and ultimately good for business keeping us loyal!

Associate
Yes in the Asus Crosshair!

B350 motherboards seem to be very weak for overclocking at present, so avoid those if OC.
Tried MSI 370 SLI board, CPU overclocked OK, but refused to run beyond 2400MHz RAM, clearly BIOS bug.

So in short Crosshair is the only board I can recommend.
We should get the Taichi tested tomorrow which should be a good one hopefully.

Keep us posted on your findings with the Taichi, very interested by your feedback (it's the one I'm after) ;)

Soldato
I'm interested in 1700 and ASUS x370 prime.

4ghz on this combo and I'm in....will make a fantastic DAW running Reaper :cool:

So far my experience with the x370 prime was on a ES 1700x it did 4GHz after a lot of faff, there's since been a new bios out and actual retail chips. It ran fine in most things it was keeping it stable in handbrake that was the issue as that uses all 16 threads. The vrms were getting a tad hot. Again ES sample chip pre-release bios so it's very hard to 100% say but we did eventually get it stable. now the boards have launched i can put a better bios on it so when i get a chance. (need more testing bays) :D 1700x did XFR to 3.9 on its own though and really 100 mhz vs better memory clocks i'd say you'd get more from the memory clock.

Ryzen master actually reads temps so this will make it much easier to work on than i have been doing blind.

Soldato
I'm interested in 1700 and ASUS x370 prime.

4ghz on this combo and I'm in....will make a fantastic DAW running Reaper :cool:

I think TTL's review on the 1800X was done on the Prime (he mentions at the start), and he put in a stable 4GHz. Hopefully with retail chips, and updated bios, similar boards will work fine with a 4 GHz OC.

As impatient as I am to get building, I find out later today if I am going away tonight or tomorrow for a couple weeks for work, so I have time to wait for some mobo reviews.

@~11.30m

Soldato
Other places are recommending ambient voltage do not exceed 1.45v (vcore), I'd imagine in Handbrake 1.55v would pull a fair amount of current so possibly too high if you're looking to do that

Associate
Is it actually possible with the current motherboard BIOS to overclock and still have power saving, so like clock an 1800x to 1700 and have it ramp up to its top xfr on single and all cores?

Is that even possible because from what I'm reading all the power saving is basically turned off.

Associate
Have the Gigabyte Aorus 5/7 had testing yet? Those are the boards I'm looking into. Looks like 1700 would be the way to go though.

OcUK Staff
OP
We tested SMT in benchmarks, in games disabling it improves performance slightly, though I believe this has already being discovered by some reviewers also. :)

Associate
I got my 1700, I'm going to spend the extra on a premium motherboard. Just waiting to find out which is best to get. Then if a revision comes later down the line I can replace the chip.

Associate
So far my experience with the x370 prime was on a ES 1700x it did 4GHz after a lot of faff, there's since been a new bios out and actual retail chips. It ran fine in most things it was keeping it stable in handbrake that was the issue as that uses all 16 threads. The vrms were getting a tad hot. Again ES sample chip pre-release bios so it's very hard to 100% say but we did eventually get it stable. now the boards have launched i can put a better bios on it so when i get a chance. (need more testing bays) :D 1700x did XFR to 3.9 on its own though and really 100 mhz vs better memory clocks i'd say you'd get more from the memory clock.

Ryzen master actually reads temps so this will make it much easier to work on than i have been doing blind.
Sounds pretty decent for the money; just need to wait for stock now. Which seems to be the plan no matter what I do.

Soldato
@Gibbo
you able to try Gaming 7k ?

saw 4.1Ghz on Gaming 5 but your views and personally testing carry a lot more weight then most review sites

Interesting to see how Titanium fairs over the Hero as NB voltage can be controlled

saw 4.1Ghz but your views and person test carry a lo

Soldato
Im interested to see how the Asrock Taichi shapes up also, although i need to probably wait til memory timings get sorted out, got 3400mhz C16 Ripjaws to put in and i know for sure they are probably going to be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom