• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Something super is coming...

Soldato
So selling more expensive GPU's works?

Up to a point, apple did the same thing and over the years its products are getting more and more expensive to compensate falling sales
but I really believe this is bad market practice, eventually it gets so expensive that many will find alternative brands. The loss of market share can be difficult to gain back even if prices are dropped. Well that's the theory.

Soldato
Up to a point, apple did the same thing and over the years its products are getting more and more expensive to compensate falling sales
but I really believe this is bad market practice, eventually it gets so expensive that many will find alternative brands. The loss of market share can be difficult to gain back even if prices are dropped. Well that's the theory.
To be fair it ain't just apple. Top of the range android phones are £700-£1000 now . Apple tax is surely a thing but in terms of phones they are far from alone. At least though with android you can choose a phone for every wallet . Take my new Nokia 7.1. For what I need it is every bit as good as a £800 phone but cost £165. ****

*** Actually no WiFi calling is a massive bummer but the carrier's are to blame there. The hardware supports it

GPUs are similar you can by decent cards for a few £100

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Agree @bigmike20vt , other thing I realised though was if you identify all the tech and parts crammed into a smartphone you get quite a lot for your money. This doesnt apply so much in the last couple of years once you go above £200, but for a while the cost was reasonable. Nowadays a contract phone seems to start at £40, once upon a time Im sure it was half this figure; the networks are sneaking in something for that outlay for sure.

Soldato
To be fair it ain't just apple. Top of the range android phones are £700-£1000 now . Apple tax is surely a thing but in terms of phones they are far from alone. At least though with android you can choose a phone for every wallet . Take my new Nokia 7.1. For what I need it is every bit as good as a £800 phone but cost £165. ****

*** Actually no WiFi calling is a massive bummer but the carrier's are to blame there. The hardware supports it

GPUs are similar you can by decent cards for a few £100

That looks great for the money. (Nokia 7.1) Ram wise almost the same as my Pixel 3. (massive disappoint of a phone)

Soldato
That looks great for the money. (Nokia 7.1) Ram wise almost the same as my Pixel 3. (massive disappoint of a phone)
It is mostly.
I got it for the camera...... which is probably the most important thing for me on a phone (because they all make calls and support whatsapp).
I must admit i would not buy it again, purely because no one in uk supports wifi calling on it, the 1st carrier which does i am moving to!

the battery is not that hot either..... but other than those 2 things for the money it is an outstanding phone. build quality is great too.

i really miss the shake to turn on torch and twist to activate camera - even when locked - feature that my motoG5 had however.

(sorry massive segue there)

Soldato
So selling more expensive GPU's works?

It does for Nvidia.

Eliminate the competition, push up prices accordingly and milk the cash cow until it hurts. Pretty clear business model.

Except there are no alternative brands, at least none to speak of, and even when there is history dictates that people will still buy green because of mindshare. Nvidia have all the angles covered.

Last edited:
Permabanned
8% is garbage i will not buy a 2080 super and i have no gpu currently. The 2080ti is even a pretty lacklustre card in 4k too. It is only a high cost gpu because Nvidia artifically bloated the price. They forced Raytracing and Tensor cores on everyone i bet you that trashy little thing put at least £100 on the end cost. And no one wants it?!

I wanted 4k 144hz really maybe some HDR this is incredibly demanding and there is no room on the die for Raytracing and DLSS cores period. What you end up with is a crippled overpriced gpu. But hey things are so bad not even AMD can catch up with the fat bloated Nvidia weighed down by all the burden of extra cores.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
They forced Raytracing and Tensor cores on everyone...And no one wants it?!

You would be surprised there are some guys on here that defend it to the hilt even though we all know it was a premature gimmick that cannot run live properly as intended. It may be nice in years to come but right now only gimps so a damp squib. The main annoyance is if AMD were to pull this stunt it would be retorted for years..

Permabanned
You would be surprised there are some guys on here that defend it to the hilt even though we all know it was a premature gimmick that cannot run live properly as intended. It may be nice in years to come but right now only gimps so a damp squib. The main annoyance is if AMD were to pull this stunt it would be retorted for years..

It is not even full RT, Nvidia just wanted to be first to the table with something to make thier brand special. Wake me up when its full RT and my fps is above 7.

Meanwhile over at 4k HQ...

Associate
RT is a future technology, and not really ready for today's systems. It will be something that will make sense a few years from now, if and when the hardware to drive it has caught up.

Soldato
Soldato
No surprise. Wrote that last week when specs came out. Nvidia site has the card 5% faster, and even Gibbo said that fully overclocked, would be close to 10% faster.
The gap to 2080Ti is still vast.

Yet I got pelted with tomatoes when made my post last week, even if the Nvidia numbers were out, by those believing that the 2080S would deliver 2080Ti performance.

That was some AMD hype level of denial. It's missing like 1,300 Cuda cores compared to the 2080ti - how on earth was it going to catch up without running on fairy dust

Soldato
I don't get it to be honest. (The hate that is).
Am I right in saying that RRP is the same as the 2080? And that there is no binning of the chips?

Assuming that is true then once the price gouging stops and demand settles we will have a faster GPU for the same price and without that low grade hi grade chip nonsense.

Seems a positive step to me.... And why on earth would NV want to pull the rug from their 2080ti?. This is a mid series refresh nothing more. Looking at it like that it is not the 2080 super which is poor but the 2060 and 2070 super which is really really good (probably thanks to AMD forcing the issue

Permabanned
Am I right in saying that RRP is the same as the 2080? And that there is no binning of the chips?

Assuming that is true then once the price gouging stops and demand settles we will have a faster GPU for the same price and without that low grade hi grade chip nonsense.

Seems a positive step to me.... And why on earth would NV want to pull the rug from their 2080ti?. This is a mid series refresh nothing more. Looking at it like that it is not the 2080 super which is poor but the 2060 and 2070 super which is really really good (probably thanks to AMD forcing the issue

Well a refresh used to mean a good boost 8% is the worst yet you think people want to wait a year for 8% at the same RRP? Madness! Or two years for 38% no way the 2080 launched in August 2018 for 8%? Get out of town lol you would be a fool not to be as mad as hornets.

I think it will be more than 8% though, It is a yearly refresh after all at the same price.

Soldato

Back
Top Bottom