• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Something super is coming...

Permabanned
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/graphics-cards/rtx-2080-super/

Go down to the specs and click the link, then look at the numbers and compare them with these.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/graphics-cards/rtx-2080/

It is ~5%-8% faster than the FE "A" chip. (look also at RTX Ops are these are directly related).

Even Gibbo said that both 2080 & 2080S heavily overclocked, the difference will be 10% at best.
The 2080S VRAM also is overclocked to it's limits out of the box.

Google overclockers 2080 super 25%, They said up to 25% but it looks no where near. No reviews and literally two days till launch.

Caporegime
Even though I’ve just built my system, I’m finding my Vega 64 a bit hot and loud. Also, I have a 3900 and a 144Hz 1440p monitor, so want to pump out more FPS.

Would the 2070 super be a worthwhile upgrade, or do I need to be looking at a 2080 super to make it worthwhile?

Man of Honour
2070 super = 1080ti performance level
jump from a tuned vega 64 to oc 2070s/1080ti is in the region of ~20-25%
not worth the time and outlay imo.

it's 2080s/2080ti or next gen.

i personally think it's only worth it when i see a ~75-100% jump
some people settle for 50% - if you want to upgrade at closer intervals.

Soldato
2070 super = 1080ti performance level
jump from a tuned vega 64 to oc 2070s/1080ti is in the region of ~20-25%
not worth the time and outlay imo.

it's 2080s/2080ti or next gen.

i personally think it's only worth it when i see a ~75-100% jump
some people settle for 50% - if you want to upgrade at closer intervals.
Thanks for posting this. I always wondered what the personal experience would be.

Soldato
Even though I’ve just built my system, I’m finding my Vega 64 a bit hot and loud. Also, I have a 3900 and a 144Hz 1440p monitor, so want to pump out more FPS.

Would the 2070 super be a worthwhile upgrade, or do I need to be looking at a 2080 super to make it worthwhile?
You could water cool it :)

Permabanned
Can I just confirm though, G-Sync works on the Gigabyte AD27Q doesn’t it?

Well it is freesync working on a gsync gpu, it is not gsync it is just certified to work with the freesync adaption into software gsync. You would need to report back how it works obviously it will work from 48hz up but does the gsync compatible tick box open up. Or does it just work? VF got the little bro of the monitor he would know.

Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
looking at some numbers over @ https://www.techpowerup.com/257567/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-super-appears-in-ffxv-benchmark-database . It would seem possible for a overclocked 2080 super getting close if not the same FPS has a non overclocked 2080Ti. Not bad if they can keep the entry price point around the £600 mark, Still not worth upgrading this Gen if you have a 1080Ti.

Also
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/geforce-rtx-2080-super-spotted-in-ff-xv-benchmark-8-faster.html

It wouldn't be as low as £600 unfortunately.

A single benchmark is pretty useless.

You need at least a dozen or so that use different game engines and backends cross referenced to draw an overall conclusion.

Hopefully Steve @ Hardware Unboxed will be giving the 2080 super the 30 game benchmark treatment. :)

But I still require a new GFX card in any case.
And the 2080 super will be the most powerful card in the £600 to £800 price range regardless.
So it's just a question of which one to go for.

The pricing on the EVGA range is strange, are those place holder prices subject to change tomorrow OCUK? :confused:

Soldato

Have you undervolted the vega, it's absolutely necessary for quiet and coolness on one. It will boost higher with a little overclock on top of this.

Permabanned

You need at least a dozen or so that use different game engines and backends cross referenced to draw an overall conclusion.

Hopefully Steve @ Hardware Unboxed will be giving the 2080 super the 30 game benchmark treatment. :)

And the 2080 super will be the most powerful card in the £600 to £800 price range regardless.

The pricing on the EVGA range is strange, are those place holder prices subject to change tomorrow OCUK? :confused:

Surprised it has not happened today it is very quiet on the news front. Why not let us see the suite before we get rdy to order. Some folks could need to reserve 2pm as freetime to get the order in.

OcUK Staff

Prices are made up on EVGA, you cannot order, its just about getting parts listed right now, once order buttons appear prices will then be changed/corrected on some parts, namely EVGA.

Back
Top Bottom