Something went wrong, ordered a Mustang, yet ended up in a British hotrod, I blame OcUK!

OcUK Staff
Hi there

So here I was thinking I'd not find an alternative to the expensive but still a relative bargain for what you get the Ford Mustang GT. But then someone mentioned the Jaguar F-type and I remember upon their release thinking what a gorgeous car, but thinking way too expensive. Then I drove a V8S some years ago and decided a convertible was not for me and that it was still just as bad as the XKR for trying to get the power down.

Fast forward and the F-type coupe came out and I was like, oh my stunning car. I then completely forgot about them.

At which point I was well into my second Mustang, sold and a third Mustang on order, but I then kind of got cold feet for a few reasons and started looking elsewhere at which point it was either this forum or the Mustang forum where the F-type was mentioned. All of a sudden an F Type R AWD was just within budget, as in budget I could go and buy, but then someone here mentioned ah man just finance it up, use a PCP with a balloon, an idea I've not considered previously. But in short my 50k budget turned into 80k and tomorrow I shall be collecting a carbon covered SVR very naughty edition F type. :D

IMG_7038.jpg

IMG_7112.jpg

IMG_7039.jpg

IMG_7118.jpg

I lost the first one I viewed, to slow to pull the trigger and someone else took it from under me, it was same colour but was missing some of the options this car has, namely the carbon roof. People here know how I am fond of carbon, having paid to have a carbon roof panel installed in my M3.

As such this was a hit with me, and I am trying to contain the excitement but something tells me tonight might be sleepless.

Oh and a picture of the entire car:

IMG_7111.jpg~original

The plan is to just drive and enjoy this one, in the short term my only plans are:
- Get calipers professionally sprayed yellow with SVR black logos
- A full professional paint restoration and sealant by Autobrite.

That is it, I am still not convinced by gloss black wheels, though in person they were nice and will probably work better once calipers are yellow.

In the long term if the gloss black is still not to my taste I shall have them painted in the Jaguar factory satin grey they also did the SVR wheels in.
As to modifications really nothing planned as the car is pretty sorted out the box, apart from a set of Michelin PS4S all round once the junk Pzero are worn out, which might take a while as they are a pretty fresh set on the car, fitted in February this year, so 7mm front and 6mm rear.

In short the plan is to enjoy and just make a lot of noise and boy does it make noise, it is insanely loud for a stock car and goes very well, but at near 600HP so it damn should. :D

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
I'm claiming this stroke of genius as my input to the car :D

But seriously Gibbo, you know I've been drooling over this. Like you I always loved the f-types and was one of the options when I was shopping before getting the GTR.

You're gonna love it, and can't wait for you to take me out for a drive in it, and see what you can do at the meets!

I had completely forgotten about them, as I never see them, not even the regular ones up here they are a rare site. I am sure once I am in mine I will see at least 10 every day. :D

Yes thank you for that idea.

OcUK Staff
OP
Very nice, blows the Ford away. Hard to believe you would change your mind after the obsessive daily Mustang posts though lol.

True, but the F type was a car I'd just pretty much forgotten about, plus like an AMG GT in normal colours though still lovely things just don't really make me look, until looking recently and seeing they came in orange (ginger) and this blue at which point I was sold. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
The old boss where i work had a F type coupe right when they were launched, it was a V8 but not sure on any other specs. Amazing looking and sounding thing, i'm sure this will be even more so and it's in a far nicer colour (his was in that weird orange so many marques seemed to go mad for in the last few years)

That weird ginger orange was my second favourite colour. :D

OcUK Staff
OP
I just picked it from Chester, took the back roads back but left it in snow mode and automatic and just driving normally, 26mpg, probably the only time it will ever be that high.
The Pzero are not gripping at all even with AWD, but it is 3c, wet/slushy so I'd not expect them to either, though probably fair to say PS4S would be a big improvement on wet grip.

Really just cruised in it and it does it superbly, super comfortable, fantastic sound system once I'd figured out how to turn the bass down from the subwoofers behind the seats, that like I was in a night club at first, turned that down, much nicer. Drives flawless, not really given it beans as such and in snow/auto the car is pretty silent unless you get into it more, but no pops, crackles or bangs or not audible to myself in auto.

Just had a spin round the business park in manual, dynamics, slides and drifts nice lol, more pops and bangs, so those who dislike pops and bangs it does seem you can control their loudness via car settings.

Also the car has a got a track built in. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
80k a bet you had poo coming out but well done none the less.

Yeah it is AWD but on Pzero it literally feels RWD and the throttle feels wired, so snappy and responsive, particular in dynamic. Snow mode in this is the same as dynamic was in the V6S pretty much except it hits way way harder, must be a roots style super charger as the torque from as little as 1500rpm is pretty impressive. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
^This^

The wheels from the ceramic brake package look loads better than those ones, regardless of them being black or anthracite. Still an epic looking and sounding car though :cool:

Depends which ceramic wheels, there is two, one style I hate with a passion and the other I quite like. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Can it be modded it when it PCP finance as you do not own the car..:confused:

Depends what you want to mod, no plans for anything major just maybe brakes/wheels. Plenty of people do far more to PCP cars but technically you should not. Of course you can mod a PCP car on the basis you have informed them and if they so require it back to stock when returned that this can be done. I guess it depends on who your financing with and maybe how much of the car you own, the guys I am with are fine with me adding my own touch if I so wish to do so. I have a lot of money up front in the car and it shall either be paid of before term ends or at the end I shall purchase the car outright, no intentions to hand it back. :)

Great shout, I recall mentioning the f-type in the first post of your other thread.

Looks like you have purchased this with the perfect mindset and best financing approach so depreciation isn't a concern and you can just enjoy it.

This is so much better than your Mustang option and besides not everything is about the numbers on paper.

Plus this will generate more random interest and discussion than the Porsche, Mustang, R8 etc.

Pretty much spot on, yes their are faster cars on paper but this is just a such a passionate car, in that way it is similar to the Mustang it, only difference being not much need to mod, but in fairness if we could buy a GT 350 or new GT 500 in the UK, they would be similar as they are pretty much sorted out the door from the manufacturer.

Everyone who has come to look at the car today are blown away by it because it is very different from your 911's, Porsches etc. and stands out like a sore thumb, people can't get over the noise either, they absolutely love it, seeing grown man just turn into giggling girls, says to me Jaguar got a lot right about this car. :)

Once I get my log book, my plates go on. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Sports cat/decat, pulley and remap for 625hp+ within 6 months I bet ;)

Don't think I want to mess with power/tuning due to warranty, the engine is towards limits stock, hence why SVR have no engine covers to try to keep heat / soak to a minimum as the extra 25PS creates some additional heat. Plus at 576PS it goes quite well, I suspect I'd not notice another 50PS and you have to trust me when I say Jaguar did a fantastic job on the ZF8 and power response, but of course who knows what the future holds.

For me the only real major modifications is:

- A new set of disc all round is under £300 for Jaguar OEM, very cheap but it is because they are solid one piece disc all round, heavy chunks of iron, so I will either fit two-piece in the future for weights/looks or even do the full ceramic conversion, it is possible, cost a fair wedge though, about £8000 as need the ceramic based wheels too to accommodate the larger Alcon calipers.

That is it really as it really is sorted from factory.

OcUK Staff
OP
Yeah you can understand this is a capable R car with then the SVO engineers gets to play with and change with a full development programme - high speed nardo circuit and low temp low friction with CFD and aero tunnel Work. Ian Callum is also involved with the design changes, remember his brother Moray penned the Mustang so you must like the Callum style ;)

Guess that explains why I went Jaaaaaag. :D

OcUK Staff
OP
I guess it could still be on its original tyres, but at 17k with almost 580BHP it may also not be ;)

Had new tyres in February which have covered around a 1000 miles, car predominately done motorway miles and no doubt being loaned on weekends and driven hard.

Gave it some right foot and the kick down is brutal and acceleration savage I really love it and that was in snow mode as it’s frozen still but it got the power down well in straight line. :)

I just love how this auto has absolutely zero lag it almost pulls wheelies ;)

OcUK Staff
OP
Is it comin to Santa Pod?

Yes absolutely. :)

Still need to check the Pzero to see if they are PZ4 version, but today is warmer, well I say warmer, a toasty 5c and wet, but the grip was fine no doubt helped vastly by the AWD system. So I shall certainly keep them until they are worn out, I'd rather learn the car anyway with less grip.

OcUK Staff
OP
Well a bit of slip and drift aint bad eh. Heightens the fun factor.

Yep and is good for learning how the car acts, did same with Mustang, survived a Winter on Pzero and on the Mustang they were pretty lethal in the wet anything under 15c really, when Mustang was on MPSS following Winter they were gripping better than Pzero did in 15c in wet but when it was only 2-3c, Michelin rubber certainly works much better, particular from cold, switches on much easier.

But on the Jaaaaag, they seem fine, its chassis is better and also its DSC systems are much better too, not intrusive which I like and there is even a Track DSC mode too. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Lots lighter too. Those wheels are forged and something like 3.5kg lighter! Rears have a seperate smaller caliper for the handbrake to bare in mind too.

Did you mean the wheels are lighter, or the brakes?

Looking on Ebay, the wheels on my car are supposedly forged:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAGUAR-F-...274795?hash=item3d478aa9ab:g:5qEAAOSwo4pYFQ9S

Here are the wheels that come with ceramics:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-JAGU...F-Type&hash=item3af7f215ba:g:~zYAAOSwEEBaEhZG

No mention of those being forged though, has the seller got it the wrong way round or are both forged and weigh same?

Back
Top Bottom