Sonos play:1

Associate
Yesssssss! Was waiting for them to release something micro like this. I'll wait a little longer for some reviews and if positive I'll be having a pair. For people in small terraced houses like mine these are prefect. I have a play:3 already but these 2 will go perfectly in my kitchen :-)

Have they built AirPlay into these things yet or do they still want you to go out and plug an AirPort Express into the line in?

I'm quite interested in some Sonos. My only question that im finding it so hard to come across the internt is. If i connect a bridge to my router, How wireless is the speakers? i take it just a power cable is needed? The wireless bit is built in?

I'm quite interested in some Sonos. My only question that im finding it so hard to come across the internt is. If i connect a bridge to my router, How wireless is the speakers? i take it just a power cable is needed? The wireless bit is built in?

Yes, wireless is built in. With Sonos any one, and only one part of the system has to be hard wired (ethernet cable) to your router, then everything else can be / is wireless. So you can plug the free bridge that comes with the play 1 into your router then the play 1 and any other sonos stuff you add later will be wirless (you still have to use a mains lead Sonos don't do batteries).

I am serioulsy considering 2x play 1 as a stereo pair instead to the play 3 I was going to put in the kitchen, its not to different in price if I flog off one or both the free bridges.

Last edited:
Gets a good review in Whathifi for what that's worth. Harsh treble but otherwise sounds good. I have a Sonos Connect and a Play5 so far. Two of these would make a lot of sense as an alternative to a Play 5 as you would get decent stereo seperation in comparison.

Anyone know if you can use a pair of these as surround speakers with the playbar? makes for a much cheaper 5.1(ish) system...

Ok, just to answer my own questions you can, thats very cool and makes much more sence for a surround system than the play:3s

Last edited:
Anyone know if you can use a pair of these as surround speakers with the playbar? makes for a much cheaper 5.1(ish) system...

Ok, just to answer my own questions you can, thats very cool and makes much more sence for a surround system than the play:3s
A few promotional videos on Youtube of such setups. The Play Bar really could do with a couple more inputs but I was very impressed with the one I setup for a customer.

Quite interested in Sonos, as above the Play:1 looks like a cheap way to test them out.

With AirPlay, say there's an Airport Express plugged in to one Sonos (say a Play:5 in the lounge) would that AirPlay input be streamable to other zones in the house? Ideal flexibility I guess would be the device/zone the AirPlay is hooked up to playing something entirely different, yet the AirPlay stream be playable on zones elsewhere in the house.

Just thinking that I play Podcasts occasionally and once iTunes radio is out here properly I might want to use that some too. I couldn't figure out from the Sonos site exactly how much flexibility there was or whether AirPlay speakers might work better for that. The Sonos kit does look great.

Last edited:
The line input on one Sonos can stream to other Sonos zones in your house. However, only certain Sonos devices have a line input socket. In the Play speaker series you need the Play:5 speaker. The smaller units are wireless only.

So, if you had an Airport Express connected to the line input of a Play:5 speaker, then you could stream that feed to any/some/or all other Sonos zones in your system. Here's a link to the Sonos support site that details all the steps involved in setting this up.

I'm up for one if we are group buying? What price would we be talking?

Flubit offered me one for £159 and they claimed it included the free bridge so I guess that's my upper limit :)

Back
Top Bottom