The Sony A73/A7R3/A7S3/A9 Thread

Associate
Have been tempted to pull the trigger on this, but the fisher-price weather sealing has put me off. One of the guys I’ve done a bit of work with has a couple of A9’s - one of them didn’t survive a week in the rainforest and Sony aren’t willing to help much more than invoicing for repairs.

That’s the risk you take I suppose, but I think I’ll stick to my Nikon FF setup coupled with my Panasonic MFT kit as a backup/secondary system. Both have survived a beating.

Soldato
Then suck it up and sell your a6300, keep your a7rii, and buy an a7riii. That way you have two full frames.

Just out of interest, why do you need a backup? Do yo make a living form photography?

I'm still debating whether to wait for grey market prices.

And, no I don't make a living from it. But I don't want to be in Costa Rica /africa /where ever, and have my camera die and be without.

Plus there are times I use two cameras with different lenses to avoid swapping when inconvenient.

Caporegime

And, no I don't make a living from it. But I don't want to be in Costa Rica /africa /where ever, and have my camera die and be without.

Plus there are times I use two cameras with different lenses to avoid swapping when inconvenient.

Just use the a6300 as a cheap backup then. Either way unless you are an enthusiast with lots of disposable cash, or a professional, there is no need for a second expensive camera as a backup just on the off chance your camera dies.

Soldato
Have been tempted to pull the trigger on this, but the fisher-price weather sealing has put me off. One of the guys I’ve done a bit of work with has a couple of A9’s - one of them didn’t survive a week in the rainforest and Sony aren’t willing to help much more than invoicing for repairs.

That’s the risk you take I suppose, but I think I’ll stick to my Nikon FF setup coupled with my Panasonic MFT kit as a backup/secondary system. Both have survived a beating.
My a7r2 survived the rain forest in Peru last year and my a9 in philippines where I am at the moment.

Soldato

I travel light. One camera only and if it dies so be it. I'll still have a great time wherever I am and got a smartphone as a last resort

Caporegime
Yeah he may have just got unlucky - it was more the aftercare (or lack of) that worries me. He's had to claim on his insurance which is alright but you'd think Sony would have sorted it and this was Sony pro support.
Clearly they are not going to fix weather damage for free. They do not market or guarantee their cameras as weather proof, only weather resistant, and it is at the users risk where in the world they take them. Obviously they still have to be trustworthy in most reasonable climates, but high humidity is dangerous for any complex electronics like cameras.

That of course doesn't excuse Sony support from dealing with such things quickly and smoothly, even if it is at the users expense. However, situations like this ares why we should all have insurance.

Associate
Clearly they are not going to fix weather damage for free. They do not market or guarantee their cameras as weather proof, only weather resistant, and it is at the users risk where in the world they take them. Obviously they still have to be trustworthy in most reasonable climates, but high humidity is dangerous for any complex electronics like cameras.

That of course doesn't excuse Sony support from dealing with such things quickly and smoothly, even if it is at the users expense. However, situations like this ares why we should all have insurance.

Yeah I don’t disagree. You would think though that high humidity would be covered by ‘weather resistance’ but I guess it’s far more open to interpretation than ‘weather sealing’.

I’m still tempted by the A7Riii - it ticks an awful lot of boxes for me but then I do think GAS has something to do with the fact that I’m considering it more than I should (or need) to.

Caporegime
You would think though that high humidity would be covered by ‘weather resistance’ but I guess it’s far more open to interpretation than ‘weather sealing’.
Nothnig is covered, it's just resistant. Humidity is basically constant moisture surrounding the camera, it's almost impossible to guarantee no damage unless the camera is completely waterproof.

Permabanned
Does eye auto foucs work with canon lens and metabone if so how do you setup can not seem to get it to work on canon 50mm 1.8 and 70-200 f2.8ii

Caporegime
Does eye auto foucs work with canon lens and metabone if so how do you setup can not seem to get it to work on canon 50mm 1.8 and 70-200 f2.8ii
I can't answer your question but I think if you have the a7rIII then the goal should be to get native sony lenses asap, it's just hamstringing the (very expensive) camera otherwise.

Soldato
o dear

NOOOOOOO! I can't believe they did it again. Got my A7RIII today and tested focusing with my 85mm GM. And even with preview switched off it only focuses using selected aperture instead using open aperture. This extremly slows down the focusing of the camera in dim light conditions and often ends in a missed shot, rendering the camera useless in studio work where closed apertures are necessary.
We fought for months or even years to change this on the A7RII and just after they fixed the issues on the old body they release a new one with exactly the same problem... I can't believe it... Please... admin... please make a post about it to bring attention to this!

Canceling pre order

Back
Top Bottom