The Sony A73/A7R3/A7S3/A9 Thread

Caporegime
My wife's best friend from school has decided to get married in South Africa at New Year's (who does that!?).

Doubtful I'll get another chance like this to go on a safari. I won't be able to afford buying a telephoto lens nor justify it for just that trip, so renting one is the realistic option (providing I'm allowed to take abroad). I'm naturally gravitating towards the Sony GM 70-200 2.8 which I've used once for a wedding and loved it (I believe there's a MKII now). Or as I've just read above, should I consider others like the GM 300 2.8?

Edit - on a A7iii

Last edited:
Soldato
My wife's best friend from school has decided to get married in South Africa at New Year's (who does that!?).

Doubtful I'll get another chance like this to go on a safari. I won't be able to afford buying a telephoto lens nor justify it for just that trip, so renting one is the realistic option (providing I'm allowed to take abroad). I'm naturally gravitating towards the Sony GM 70-200 2.8 which I've used once for a wedding and loved it (I believe there's a MKII now). Or as I've just read above, should I consider others like the GM 300 2.8?

Edit - on a A7iii
Depends how close you’re realistically allowed to get, 200-600 is a good shout too.

Soldato
Depends how close you’re realistically allowed to get, 200-600 is a good shout too.

Edit - on a A7iii
Sigma just announced a 500mm f5.6 lens

Caporegime
Unsure about distances as we have no idea what kind of safari we'll be doing other than the guided ones in an open truck, so assume tens to hundreds of meters. Thanks - will look into the Sigma (gonna be a brute isn't it :p).

Last edited:
Soldato
Unsure about distances as we have no idea what kind of safari we'll be doing other than the guided ones in an open truck, so assume tens to hundreds of meters. Thanks - will look into the Sigma (gonna be a brute isn't it :p).

If you’re only looking at 1 lens then I’d consider a zoom. If you went with the 70-200 then consider taking a teleconverter too that way you could have up to 400mm. Otherwise the Sony 200-600 is a good lens.

Back
Top Bottom