Sony Bravia KDL 50 W829

Soldato
I'm looking for a new smart TV for my new home.

Is the w829 a good model for gaming and HD movies. Not too bothered about SD TV.

I know I can look up reviews, but im more interested if people here have any opinions :)

Associate
I just recently bought one of these sets. I have only ever owned plasma sets and all of them from Panny.

The reason I went for this is for my PS4.

If you looking for a mid range TV which tick most of the TV pre-requisites then I do belive you will be happy with it. There are some strange but not unfixable niggles with it. The TV start up time I find very annoying 30 seconds before you can start using it.

Also I am not a fan of the netflix and football buttons. As for Picture quality for the most part it seems decent enough and like I said before this is the first time I have owned a LED set. There are times when I am blown away by it and at other times felt left wanting.

My primary usage at the moment is playing my PS4 on it. And in this respect it seems perfectly fine for it. I don't actually watch TV so have no idea how it would suit that role but for the most part movies and gaming seems fine enough.

Having said that I will be returning my set and going back to my original choice. It not that the Sony 829 is bad, far from it. But years of using only panny plasmas make it hard for me to satisified with the w829 picture quality in the context of what I am use to. For other people it will be perfectly fine and I'll bet most would be happy with the choice.

Soldato
OP
I have got a price match on a Sony Bravia KDL 46 W905 for £799.

Is that worth it over the 50 W829, its a saving of £100.

Soldato
any chance you could put a picture up if you get chance? This is the tele that I'm swaying towards when I make a purchase in a couple of months, however thats just going on reviews as opposed to seeing it in the flesh yet :)

Associate
I ended up going for the 50W829, and didn't win PS4 :(

Out of interest the Amazon Instant does not work for me, it says coming soon. Is this the case for everyone who has this TV?

Soldato
Could somebody who bought one of the new Sony TV's (50W829, W905, etc.) please tell me if it is capable of doing Dolby Digital pass-through on the optical?

Setup would be; Device (Console/Bluray/etc.) connected to TV via HDMI. Optical link connected to AV receiver.

I'm keen use a Sonos soundbar with this TV but want to make sure I can get dolby digital through the optical cable as it has no HDMI.

Associate
Hi all,

Just received my 50w829 this morning and wondering if someone can advise on whether I need to perform any sort of calibrating once I get home later and get it set up.

If someone can point me to a source of good information on this or a tutorial on what to do that would be fantastic.

Also, how do I go about entering this PS4 competition then?

Back
Top Bottom