Sony Bravia KDL 50 W829

Soldato
Hi all,

Just received my 50w829 this morning and wondering if someone can advise on whether I need to perform any sort of calibrating once I get home later and get it set up.

If someone can point me to a source of good information on this or a tutorial on what to do that would be fantastic.

Also, how do I go about entering this PS4 competition then?

Have a look here: http://www.avforums.com/threads/sony-w829-kdl-50w829-reviewers-recommended-best-settings.1869036/

Soldato
Thanks Jimlad. 1 in 5 chance, eh? I'll give it a whirl when I get in. Bet I don't win though...

I read the t and c of the promo. Apparently every 5th code entered is a winner....

So you could by say 5 TVs from an online trader. Enter the codes if you win return the 4 losing ones. Ha ha

Associate
Jimlad, or anyone else for that matter, are you willing to share your Device ID please?

Just wondering if I can compare it to mine and see what makes these Device IDs valid. Wondering if it is to do with the Hex value of each pair, and their cumulative total.

That way you could reverse engineer it, make up five Device IDs and try them in quick succession and win a PS4.

Worth a shot right? :)

Associate
Agree with GoRedwings1 about the 30sec delay from a cold start, it can be annoying. Picture/sound is fine but you are limited accessing multimedia, bring up the guide etc until it 'starts-up', bit like a PC :p. It's not a big problem, but I hope an update will cure this at some point.

I've being using mine just after it was released back in Feb/Mar and overall i'm very pleased with it.

I ended up getting the 50"W829 from Richer Sounds; price match for £790.

Connected to my Sony AV and Boston Acoustics it's fantastic. Accessing my 3 DNLA devices has no problems with playback.

Clearance with the stand might be a problem if you have a large sound bar or front speaker. Number of the guys on the AVForum have used wooden shelf's to get around the problem, mine just about clears it :cool:.

Photo here, sorry about the quality..... taken with my phone. :rolleyes:

IMAG0469.jpg

Soldato
The 30 second delay is similar on my w905. Turn it on and it takes a short while before I can say change from TV to HDMI.

Had a couple of firmware updates but still nothing changed on that side of things.

Associate
Hi all,

Just received my 50w829 this morning and wondering if someone can advise on whether I need to perform any sort of calibrating once I get home later and get it set up.

If someone can point me to a source of good information on this or a tutorial on what to do that would be fantastic.

Also, how do I go about entering this PS4 competition then?

Do you have some sort of reference movie you watch for sheer picture quality. try adjusting the TV to what you feel seems right to your eyes. I think these days it has come to the point where there are plenty of setting online and even when you input them even though it might be quoted as reference it still might not suit your tastes.

I am sure there are plenty of peeps who have their own fave settings and you can try them out and see which one you would be happy with day in and day out.

I've mounted the W6 50", the stand doubles up as the wall bracket same as certain W8 models. Box contained everything need apart from the drill. :p

Great news, was a bit apprehensive after looking at the stand and then standard mounts but good to hear.

Can't wait to get this ordered. Was gawping at one in Currys on Sunday, and even the Mrs (who is usually isn't fazed by such wonders) commented on how good it looked and how good the picture quality was.

Soldato
Will do when home. It comes off easy enough when mounted too. Just to add the stand doubles as a bracket. But if you wanted another bracket you need to buy a Sony adaptation thingy to make it fit.

Nice one, cheers bud. How sturdy is it? I intend to have a low unit in front of the telly, but it's only a matter of time before our 10 month old goes mountaineering so I'd like to be confident the bracket is up to task. :)

Soldato
Soldato
Just got one of these as a warranty replacement for a panasonic g30 (which was a replacement for a g25).

It is a pretty good tv for an LCD but even my wife has commented that the plasma had a better image. The one benefit is that the 50 inch LCD is only 10cm wider than the 42 inch plasma.

Haven't tried the football mode yet but will check it tonight.

Back
Top Bottom