Sony HT-G700

Associate
OP
Is HT bypass where it will allow the hi-fi amp and stereo speakers will basically act like the front left and right speakers in an AVR setup?

I'm not sure I follow the optical DAC thing, I thought optical was just optical?

Soldato
Is HT bypass where it will allow the hi-fi amp and stereo speakers will basically act like the front left and right speakers in an AVR setup?

I'm not sure I follow the optical DAC thing, I thought optical was just optical?

Correct HT bypass changes the amp into a stereo power amplifier.

DAC is a Digital to Analogue converter. Typically stereo integrated amplifiers have analogue inputs only (unless you get a stereo amp with built in DAC) so you would need an external DAC, which'll have

Optical inputs
Coaxial inputs
HDMI input
BNC - electrical input
USB input

You'll need optical/HDMI ARC input, so any video device that goes into the TV will go from the TV to the amp. Unless your sources have multiple outputs, ie dual HDMI out, or HDMI + optical.

You'll only get two channel PCM from TV to a stereo amp, so you'll lose any discrete subwoofer channel .1 LFE

Soldato
wiim amp could be enough for TV two channel. streamer, dac, room eq, dac, bass management. lacks ht bypass input though

Associate
OP
Ah I see, re. optical. It's starting to sound like a stereo amp with the required features is going to cost more than a reasonable AVR! lol

I'll keep researching away, I've a little more time now as I've noticed if I reduce the volume of the subwoofer to 3 (out of 12) it barely sends any of the dialogue to the sub, so they are a little more clear. But obviously I'm losing a lot of bass and perhaps depth. Very frustrating.

Soldato
A soundbar subwoofer probably has the subwoofer play quite high up, say 160hz-200hz or so you're hearing these higher frequencies. A dedicated subwoofer will be crossed 80-120hz.

Soldato

Not much in it.

The Yamaha will be more flexible, multiple HDMI inputs, surround decoding, can expand to 5.1

Associate
OP
Yeah, I'm a little torn between what to do.

I popped into Richer Sounds where the idea of a stereo amp was put to me. He said that a stereo amp with two good speakers could be a better option as there is less compromising compared to a more complex AVR system at a similar budget. It does make sense.

However, I probably would not listen to music in that room, so it's really just for TV and films, but I'm also not massively bothered about having rear speakers and they would be sited low down by the sides of the couch, so I'm not sure just how effective they'd be anyway.

Dialogue is the key thing for me and whilst I was reassured that it would be crystal with a stereo setup, I can't seem to shake the need for a centre speaker. But of course headphones are only stereo and dialogue is perfect with them, so perhaps good stereo speakers will be fine?

From an aesthetic point of view, I would prefer just two speakers at the front, even if they are larger, rather than sides, centre, sub and potentially rears. I just need to know for sure that the dialogue quality will be there.

As for AVR, this seems like a decent package and the subwoofer has crossover adjustment, volume control etc.

I'm still looking at stereo stuff.

Soldato
With quality enough speakers you can get a decent image without need for a center, but with a center all speech comes from that, so it's central to the image. Stereo amps don't have dialogue enhance feature.

For movies you really need at least 2.1, low bass gets directed to the sub

I sometimes do watch TV shows in stereo with my av pre, just press stereo mode and it's fine.

With that denon 660 system it doesn't matter the crossover function on the subwoofer, as you will use the denons own filtering, so as long as you can bypasss the subs own crossover it's fine.

On a lower budget I'd recommend going stereo speakers- rather than getting cheap 5.1, whether that's with a AVR or Wiim amp or similar is up to you

Back
Top Bottom