Sony HT-G700

Associate
OP
Ive seen Evo 4.2 for £300. They'll be better quality speakers

I'd recommend better quality standmount over budget floorstanders.

I'm a little reluctant to get used speakers, I would worry about them being knackered. After watching some videos on the floorstanders and in particular the 12.3, they are deeper than I realised and I'm not sure if such a large footprint will work. So bookshelf speakers may have to be the way forward. Slowly getting there!

Soldato
I'm a little reluctant to get used speakers, I would worry about them being knackered. After watching some videos on the floorstanders and in particular the 12.3, they are deeper than I realised and I'm not sure if such a large footprint will work. So bookshelf speakers may have to be the way forward. Slowly getting there!

I've bought lots of second hand speakers. It's fine. Just buy from avforums someone with decent amount of feedback.

Dominic above bought some Evo standmounts and stands saving several hundred pounds

The savings were absolutely immense, thousands saved. For a couple of pairs 10% of the original price one was £400-600 ISH (American so hard to judge original price) I got them for £40. Another model pair £1000 new I paid £150 . Both mint

Last edited:
Soldato
Not just speakers but remote controls also, £1200 of URC programmable remote controls for £120

Just picked up another , brand new unused one for £30 original price £300

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks, that opens up some options then as I've decided to get a subwoofer and centre speaker as well, so should help keep budget creep to a minimum.

I'll have a look at those Evo 4.2 and take things from there.

Associate
OP
Unfortunately, The Evo 4.2 are going to be too big, which is a pity as they look really good. Because the speakers are now having to go in the bay window either side of the TV (not ideal I know) the footprint will have to be smaller to keep the wife happy. Something more along the lines of the Diamond 12.1. This would also leave more room for a decent sub.

I really like the Monitor Audio Silver 50 (7G) and the footprint is lovely, but they would have to be a good used price as it's too much budget creep if new as I'll need stands.

Associate
OP
They look nice, I did read a review that didn't favour them very much, needed to have high volume to get the most out of them, whereas I need the lower volume quality for films late at night.

Associate
OP
I'm sure I read the Diamond 12.2 are good at low volume, or maybe that was the 12.3 floorstanding ones? Getting dizzy again! lol

Associate
OP
I'm not really sure what would be the best way to know for sure without actually experiencing them? I've started compiling a list of the contenders as I've been getting lost with all the models etc. I've mainly been looking at official reviews, but it would be nice to get user feedback, so I think I'll look at posting a selection in AVF as they seem to have a large active crowd there and hopefully I can get varied feedback.

A few factors I'll presumably need to include will be room size, distance from TV, initial budget (in case centre or subwoofer is required) and size restraints to keep the wife happy!

Hopefully I can get down to a shortlist of three speakers and then see if I can get demos in store. Cheers for all the help, it's been a fast journey so far but I do feel like I'm miles ahead and in a better position from when I initially started.

Soldato
I'm not really sure what would be the best way to know for sure without actually experiencing them? I've started compiling a list of the contenders as I've been getting lost with all the models etc. I've mainly been looking at official reviews, but it would be nice to get user feedback, so I think I'll look at posting a selection in AVF as they seem to have a large active crowd there and hopefully I can get varied feedback.

A few factors I'll presumably need to include will be room size, distance from TV, initial budget (in case centre or subwoofer is required) and size restraints to keep the wife happy!

Hopefully I can get down to a shortlist of three speakers and then see if I can get demos in store. Cheers for all the help, it's been a fast journey so far but I do feel like I'm miles ahead and in a better position from when I initially started.

A few brands, some above your budget

Arendel
B&W
Fyne
M&K
Monitor Audio
Dali
Acoustic Energy
Neat
Rega
Dynaudio
Paradigm