1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spare Computer Parts for DC projects

Discussion in 'Team OcUK Distributed Computing Projects' started by Berserker, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Frozennova

Man of Honour

How tall is the Ninja and how do they stack up compared to a freezer 7 pro rev 2 in terms of performance and noise?

2. SiriusB

Capodecina

Scythe: http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/cpu/026/scnj1100p.html

The fan is uber quiet as it is a 120mm and spins at a rather sedate 1800rpm at most. It used to be my main rig and the case fans were usually making more noise than the Scythe fan.

Couldn't really say how it stacks up against the Freezer Pro, never had one for Intel nor a rev 2.

3. Frozennova

Man of Honour

Will have a measure when I get back from work, the CM Hyper 212 is 8mm taller as was too tall so it may just squeeze in

4. danewesley

Mobster

Hi, im starting to build my folding rig, i just bought an MSI-P6N-Diamond mobo, just waiting for more funds to get ram/cpu and gfx, any help from here would be much appreciated. cheers, Dane

5. SiriusB

Capodecina

Frozen, do you still want the Ninja? Someone else has shown an interest and would like to give them an answer :)

6. danewesley

Mobster

Hi, im interested in the ninja, im currently building my first folding rig and specs are as follows.

msi P6n diamond
    e6600
    bfg 8800gts x2
    bequiet pure power 530W
    geil ddr2 800 x4 1Gb
    coolermaster 335

i just need to sort out cooling, cpu cooler and extra fans for the side of the case.

7. Camoe

PermaBanned

if no one elce wants the ninga ill take it

8. Frozennova

Man of Honour

Did you get rid of the Ninja Sirius, Got a new case arriving today so I can go for larger air coolers now.

9. Jokah

Associate

@SiriusB. What do you plan on doing with the thermaltake cooler you mentioned?

10. Makhaira

Mobster

What dark magic have you wielded to bring this thread back from its grave?!

11. Jokah

Associate

What a tool I am!?

Should really check the post date before posting Ehh? Would be a miracle if he still had it.

Sorry about that guys. I'm not having a very good start in this forum.

12. Berserker

Man of Honour

Think most of my old hard disks are flaked out, and if they're not, then I don't have the time to test them right now, sorry. Besides, using old hard disks for data recovery is a bad idea. If the data is that critical, you want a sure-fire reliable hard disk to image onto. If you image a defective disk onto an old disk, there's a chance both could die. You lose everything. Equally, you want to be imaging that disk now, not waiting in the hope someone comes up with the goods later.

And, to be perfectly honest, registering an account to come begging for stuff isn't a great idea. Yes, I did get the email.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  13. namnoc

Hitman

With a brand new drive costing £30, wouldn't that be the safest solution?

14. PGdude

Wise Guy

I'd appreciate if you left that kind of stuff away from my e-mail. I'm not trusting of someone that has just come on the forums asking for my old drives. I have nothing to offer you, either.

15. paradigm

Caporegime

Ditto. I don't appreciate random messages asking for free stuff, especially from 1-post members. I'm perfectly happy to help members out (and have done in the past), but ones that actually offer a value to the forums.

16. datalol-jack

Soldato

In view of this recent development, why don't we update the first page to indicate that a forum member must meet one or all of the conditions below, before requesting kit?

a) Requester must be an active contributor to at least one OCUK distributed computing project, with a verifiable user profile and credit of at least a month.

b) Requester had accumulated at least 150(?) posts prior to asking for kit, or had been a forum member for half a year, whichever is more appropriate.

c) A new member who has both the intention and verifiable means to contribute to at least one project, may put his case in detail in this thread, requesting hardware, but may not spam other members' trust email with additional requests; donors may reserve kit for such an individual, pending the adherence to (a) or (b), or both.

Feel free to add whatever else is necessary, guys. :)

17. namnoc

Hitman

Or insist on getting a new member's home address so he can get a good kicking for sending spam :p

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  18. datalol-jack

Soldato

The Crunching Mafia? Think of the possibilities...:cool:

19. Colasanto

PermaBanned

Anyone have any old hardware knocking about they no longer need?

If so post below what you've got, might be able to knock up something good for a bit of le' crunch

20. dangermouse425

Wise Guy

I have an empty ATX case that's free to a good home if anyone needs it to build a rig for distributed computing?

Am located near Reading.