Spark, no oxygen?

Soldato
William said:
http://jchemed.chem.wisc.edu/JCeSoft/CCA/CCA3/MAIN/CLPR/PAGE1.HTM

Granted it needs to be lit in air first, but it is oxidising, read burning/combusting pretty well in chlorine. :)

You are talking about free radical substitution under UV light yes? :)

Edit: Just noticed you are a professional scientist, I am probably just digging myself a big grave here. :D

hmmm, i'm not sure if this could be defined as burning - its certainly oxidising and the chlorine is doing exactly the same job as oxygen - is this 'burning'? - i'm not sure.

i am surprised that methane actually burns in chlorine - chlorine and compounds containing chlorine are pretty good at puting out flames - its the chlorine that quenches and stops the radical processess that occur in burning.
flame retardent materials contain chlorine and similar elements to stop themselves burning.

Man of Honour
aardvark said:
2. A glistening particle, as of metal.

see?

In that case you dont need oxygen, but as you can see 2 over dictionarys deffine it diffrently..
spark (FIRE/ELECTRICITY) Show phonetics
noun [C]
1 a very small bit of fire which flies out from something that is burning or which is made by rubbing two hard things together, or a flash of light made by electricity:
Sparks were flying out of the bonfire and blowing everywhere.
You can start a fire by rubbing two dry pieces of wood together until you produce a spark.

2 spark of anger/inspiration/life, etc. a very small amount of a particular emotion or quality in a person

spark

noun (plural sparks)
Definition:

1. fiery particle: a small piece of a burning substance thrown off in combustion or produced in friction

2. electricity electric discharge: a quick bright discharge of electricity between two conductors

3. something that activates: a factor or device that sets off or acts as a stimulant, inspiration, or catalyst
a spark of interest

4. something capable of development: a latent trace of something capable of development
had a real spark of genius

The problem is what do you deffine as a spark..

Soldato
aardvark said:
I don't know I have always regarded burning as a vigourous reaction that produces light and heat. Mainly because I figured there must be somthing up when you specify enthalpy changes must be complete combustion in oxygen, not just combustion.

Soldato
William said:
I don't know I have always regarded burning as a vigourous reaction that produces light and heat. Mainly because I figured there must be somthing up when you specify enthalpy changes must be complete combustion in oxygen, not just combustion.

but the sun is one massive heat/light producing thing (TM) and i wouldn't describe nuclear fusion as 'burning'

Soldato
William said:
We need a scientific dictionary.

i'm trying to find one - i don't seem to have access to one here (at home)

i did check out what Encarta had to say about 'combustion' but its definition is actually wrong - typical.

Aod

Aod

Soldato
Energize said:
They need to use an engine to get back to earth though. ;)
rocket engines (ones that are used on "spaceships" anyway) are fueled by two things:

Liquid Oxygen
Liquid Hydrogen

Soldato
They also have solid fuel as well, the things that stick on the side are just oxidising agents which go berserk when released. The main engines on the back of the shuttle are liquid and are that derigible shaped tank welded onto the bottom. :)

Back
Top Bottom