Spartak Moscow - Racist Tweets

Soldato
I don't think skin colour should be a thing end of story even if its bantz in private or not.

I despise racism of any kind whatever spin people want to put on it - clearly me typing a few sentences isn't go to change your opinion on things so I'll leave it at that.

Don
Whether it should happen or not, you will find groups of friends that will make offensive remarks to each other and no actual offence is caused. There's an interview with the boxer Billy Joe Saunders on YouTube where he, the interviewer (a guy of Sri Lankan descent), a black friend and a mixed race friend of his all discuss racism in which they all openly make offensive jokes to each other but it's clear that no genuine offence was meant or taken by anybody.

This situation is different though. There's no two way interaction with the black players involved, it's a generic term being used to describe 3 people purely because of their skin colour so by default it's fair to assume the person saying this thinks the term applies to all black people and it's been said to the world! Given the scrutiny your club and country are under for issues around racism you'd have to be the thickest person on the planet to use terms like this publicly, which makes you assume that he thought it was a perfectly fair term to use.
You're going to play stupid on this too? Come on Shami, you know what he means.

Caporegime
I'm not playing stupid at all. (Oh look Baz is throwing around insults again when someone disagrees with him, despite me calling you out on it in the past) As I said, is JD calling Turk chocolate bear in Scrubs racist?

I'm entirely in agreement that what Spartak did is wrong.

I'm entirely in disagreement that every single mention of someone's skin colour in any context by any person is automatically racist.

Don
I'm not playing stupid at all. As I said, is JD calling Turk chocolate bear in Scrubs racist?

I'm entirely in agreement that what Spartak did is wrong.

I'm entirely in disagreement that every single mention of someone's skin colour in any context by any person is automatically racist.
I've never watched Scrubs so I can't comment and while I don't disagree that people can reference somebody's skin colour without it being racist, Jim's point was that wouldn't it be nice if we didn't differentiate people by skin colour.

We're going off at a tangent though because what happened in this incident wasn't friendly banter. Had the player called his black teammate his chocolate brother and the black player replied by calling him his white chocolate brother and they laughed about it then, whilst it's still ****ing stupid, you can make a defence for them but as soon as you make a sweeping statement or use a generic term to describe a group of people purely based on their skin colour it's highly offensive.

Back
Top Bottom