1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spec me a CCTV System

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by Sirrel Squirrel, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Uther

Capodecina

Thanks, just grabbed an E1 Pro for under £40 on one of the lightning deals.

2. osc89er

Wise Guy

Do these things work wall mounted or do you need to mount them so the base is on top and dome on the bottom?

3. Martini1991

Caporegime

So,

Last night my girlfriend's car window was put through (We believe this is because they thought there was a purse in there).

This has caused us to look at getting some CCTV.

We live in a terrace house, so access to drilling and running cables is limited to the front and back, because of that we were contemplating something like the hive outdoor camera, as this would allow us to simply drill in the cable to the power and then just run it on the wifi easy peasy.

We want something that's running 24/7 and that we can check whenever we want (We're not fussed about retention as such, we'd be happy with a week etc), however it doesn't appear that the Hive outdoor camera can do that, and ends up flaky sometimes because of the motion detection etc.

Anyone got any suggestions? We just want something that we can put up easily even if that means having to plug it into a socket.

Cheers.

4. Psycho Sonny

Caporegime

if you are drilling a hole for power you may as well do POE instead.

get Hikvision or Dahua from a UK supplier. I don't recommend buying chinese stock. It's worth paying the extra £10 for the UK warranty.

You should only neeed 2 cameras covering the front. one low down on one side to get faces and one high up to get an overview.

add a nest hello doorbell into the mix and you are sorted.

i don't see why you need to cover the back but if you do then i'd get 2 low down.

5. maschio

Gangster

They sure do, i have one of mine fixed direct to the wall.

6. Martini1991

Caporegime

I'm not exactly made of money lol.

The Hive outdoor camera seemed great for what it is.

It's easy to plug up and it "just works" for ~£160.
    Although it lacks any local/LAN storage and only seems to upload to cloud, so if we were to set it to 24/7 record it'd be absolutely smashing my upload?

I just want something as simple as that but local storage that can be accessed over WAN.

7. Psycho Sonny

Caporegime

buy cheap and buy twice.

if you want a cheap setup just get 5 yi cameras and stick them in every window with an SD card in each. total cost £150 and it does everything through wifi too.

8. b0rn2sk8

Mobster

Decent 'cloud' (e.g. Nest, Ring etc.) cameras are cheaper to set up because you don't need local storage to record back to but typically have ongoing subscription costs.

Camera's built around local storage are more expensive due to the extra hardware needed but don't have ongoing running costs.

That's your choice.

9. Martini1991

Caporegime

I don't need 5 cameras.

Pretty sure one will cover what we actually require, if that set up proves sufficient I'd then get a second for the back.

The problem would be doing cabling for the one at the back to the NVR for example. It'd be nigh on impossible for us to have it in anyway I'd be comfortable with.

10. agw_01

Capodecina

11. Martini1991

Caporegime

I'd have thought they'd have an SD card slot or something though, rather than needing a full back end.

12. Martini1991

Caporegime

It turns out that I can get a Hive Outdoor camera half price due to being British Gas (Well, my girlfriends Dad has a code) so it suddenly becomes 80 quid, I'm tempted to take a punt at that.

13. Sparx

Mobster

If you can drill a wire e.g. Ethernet and get a PoE adapter, I can recommend the Reolink PoE cameras. I have 2 I installed a few months ago and the quality is fantastic.

I have them connected to my server recording locally. But you can just pop an SD card in and they record straight to that (no NVR needed). The app works great and you can playback through the app if you have the SD card in too.

I was very surprised for the price :) They do have a wireless equivalent but I haven’t used it so can’t comment.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07C75C47B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_TbU7Db11ZPRVG

14. JRJ

Hitman

Sparx just out of curiosity did you fit these yourself? did you drill the cable hole and mount the camera directly over it so no cables are visible, all the pictures I see of the 410 have the cable exiting the side of the mount.

15. Dodger

Gangster

So my Ring Spotlight cameras that I ordered a few weeks ago were delivered yesterday. I have decided to use the ring cameras for the time being until Hikvision release a black model of their ColorVu cameras.

I wanted to get everyone's opinion about where I should install the Ring Spotlight camera to cover the front door. I have a porch, with patio doors, so could either install the camera on the left of door, above the door etc. Ring also recommends installing the camera 3 meters high?

Any assistance is appreciated, thanks in advance.

16. Felix

Mobster

Are Hikvision allowing sales of their kit direct to the public again?

17. Dodger

Gangster

There are quite a few websites still selling Hikvision to the public...

18. Sparx

Mobster

I used a cheap junction box from B&Q on the wall first, then mounted the camera onto it. Works perfectly.

The cables together are quite thick, so you’d need a rather large hole, or just use a junction box and let the cables sit inside it like I have, no cables visible. :)

19. Kill_Phil

Wise Guy

If I was to pick up the colorvu 4mp camera would a 1tb drive be enough? Wouldn't need months of footage, just more like 2 weeks at a time ideally

20. maschio

Gangster

A typical 30 min recording is 3.3GB on the 4mp colorvu. If you have it set to motion control the file sizes will be much smaller.