1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spec me a CCTV System

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by Sirrel Squirrel, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Kill_Phil

Wise Guy

Thanks :) probably best looking at a 2tb disk then to give me 10+ days, although if the motion detection is good that would do me fine

2. Kill_Phil

Wise Guy

Held off pulling the trigger on a colorvu setup in the end as the cost of Christmas started adding up!

Is is worth looking at a cheaper wireless option such as the blink xt2? Appreciate quality between the two will be vast but would just be happy for the motion detection alert and the deterrent factor.

Still leaning towards the colorvu but the price and ease of setup is appealing. Anyone recommend a wireless camera?

3. Dodger

Gangster

I am still tempted by the ColorVu...I keep going back and forwards between Hikvision and Ring Cameras. I think I have again settled on the ColorVu cameras. From a wireless perspective, I believe there’s lots to choose from (Nest, Arlo, Ring) etc...

4. b0rn2sk8

Mobster

Blink are ‘ok’ and very flexible because they are completely wireless but you need to understand how they measure their battery life. For starts they use very expensive lithium non rechargeable batteries to get the maximum capacity.

The two year claim is based upon an average use per day of 8 seconds of Live View, 60 seconds of motion-activated recording and 6 seconds of two-way audio.

Or

Standard use is defined as 8,000 five-second events per year (or 40,000 total seconds of video recording, to include Live View usage).

You also have to use the standard setting of 5 second clips to get this, it’s really not a lot in the grand scheme of things. The video quality also isn’t as good as a nest/ring or a dedicated setup.

The Nests and Rings of this word are more expensive and have a subscription attached but have better quality and recording options. Cost of these are pretty high when you look at the total cost of ownership.

A locally recording setup will likely have the highest upfront but will have the lowest total cost of ownership and the highest quality but are more difficult to set up. You can also better match the camera to the location it’s being placed in.

5. Bald-Eagle22

Wise Guy

5 camera setup with Blink XT2 here

Have 2 running of a solar panel charger and the other three are cabled into the garage, Zero issues after a months use and set on high quality video for all 5 cameras . We’ll see how the battery use wears up into the New Years for the Solars .

£400 all in in a happy bunny so far .

6. Kill_Phil

Wise Guy

@Psycho Sonny now swaying towards a hikvision bullet darkfighter cam. Really only after a single camera setup to cover the rear.

The hikvision cameras seem to come with an in built-sd slot. I'm guessing this is a backup and can't use without an nvr?

7. Psycho Sonny

Caporegime

i use dahua system. so i'm not sure i think the hikvision colorvu are the best cameras.

if you are only using a single camera. i would be tempted to just use a cheap smart cam. NVR and POE and cabling is a lot of hassle for 1 camera. the NVR would be wasted on a single cam.

why not get a ring security light camera? it probably has subscription costs though. if i was going to the effort of buying an NVR I would get at least 4 cameras. 2 front and 2 back.

8. welshdragon

Soldato

Morning All.

I need a new camera for the front of my house to replace my old Hikvision IP that feeds into my nas.

Would the Hikvision DS-2CD2347G1-LU colorvu be the best choice or the Hikvision DS-2CD2385G1-I darkfighter?

Both come out roughly similar price?

9. sja360

Mobster

For those that went with the colourvu, does the white led annoy you or neighbours with constantly being on during the night? Can you get away with utilising Street lighting to produce a decent enough night-time footage?

Similar to the above, looking at either and I originally thought colourvu but I hate the idea of the white led being on all the time making it glaringly obvious that my cctv is there.

10. maschio

Gangster

The light can be switched on or off. I have mine with the light off permanently as i prefer the cams to be discrete. The image is great regardless but i'm hoping that a future firmware release allows the option for the light to be turned on when motion is detected.

11. Thebug

Wise Guy

Mines on but very low around 15, from outside at night it just looks like a spotlight, never noticed anyone look up at it

12. maschio

Gangster

Jump to the 20 min mark.

13. welshdragon

Soldato

Thanks dude

14. Dodger

Gangster

Hi all, which branded cable (cat5e I assume) is recommended for cctv? The cable will be inside and outside so would need a good quality cable to withstand the UK weather :)

Also, are the 2 piece RJ45 connectors the way to go?

Lastly, is it recommended to install a camera mount (deep base) or, its perfectly ok just to screw the cctv camera to the outside wall and then just run a cat5e cable straight into the camera?

15. Scream

Mobster

Cat5e or Cat6 (Excel or Connectix) external grade. EZ-RJ45 pass through connectors with the EZ-RJ45 crimp tool is what I use on a regular basis. Two piece connectors were dumped in the bin.

Only need a deep base mount if you plan to terminate or have the connection outside instead of inside the cavity in the wall or in the soffit of the roof etc.

16. Scream

Mobster

Apparently this can’t be done with a firmware update. They would have to release a new camera model with technical changes.

17. maschio

Gangster

Bit short sighted of HIK tbh. Not sure i would have used it on all the cams if it was possible but would have been a nice feature. Appreciate the heads up.

18. challengedavid

Mobster

been using hikvision ivns-4200 pcnvr for a while now, after upgrading w10 version it does not play live videos properly anymore

so looking at changing to the new version but struggling to set it up, can find the cameras no issue but cannot seem to see anywhere to add the HDD to record to

what am i missing?

19. AlphaMale1

Gangster

Hey all,

I am in the market for a new CCTV system, I am not that in the know regarding CCTV but have a basic idea of what I want.

Ideally:
    High resolution and crystal clear
    Very good night vision
    Wide angle lens if possible
    The abillity to set perimiters via software, for notifications / triggers to my mobile device when this is breached
    Camera total would be 8, cat 5e cable runs are already in place

Edit: I can see HIK Vision do perimeter protection, they also do thermal cameras. Are thermal cameras appropriate for home usage?

All input appreciated

Thanks!

20. JRJ

Hitman