Spec me a CCTV System

Associate
I just got the Reolink junction box that matched the cameras I was installing.Think it was the B10. £28.00 but they were for a customer.

Didn't want to risk the bloody things not screwing in tight.
Thanks - I don't mind the cost, they just seem overly large for the turret cams. I think they're made to accommodate larger cameras. For example, the junction box for the 820A is the D20. The D20 is 145.5mm in diameter. The 820A is only 100mm diameter, but the D20 also supports the 843A, which is 130mm diameter. The B10 would be a better for for the 820A (at 122mm) but it doesn't support the 820A, it seems.

Soldato
What's the go to camera system for people? I have always installed Unifi (WiFi and CCTV) but I've just realised you can no longer save data from Unifi to a NAS and have to use their DVR so that's out of the question.

I've run Cat6 as part of our new extension and need 2x bullet style cameras and 2x dome style cameras, all outside and all to be powered via PoE, work in the dark (without attached lights) and save to my NAS.

What do people recommend?

Soldato
What's the go to camera system for people? I have always installed Unifi (WiFi and CCTV) but I've just realised you can no longer save data from Unifi to a NAS and have to use their DVR so that's out of the question.

I've run Cat6 as part of our new extension and need 2x bullet style cameras and 2x dome style cameras, all outside and all to be powered via PoE, work in the dark (without attached lights) and save to my NAS.

Not sure if it can be saved to Nas but I got a Reolink POE kit a few months back and have been pretty happy with it all. I'd certainly recommend them.

Soldato

Reolink is often recommended on here, so I'd suggest looking at their range, they have the type of cameras you're looking for, but I'm not sure if they can be used with a NAS rather than an NVR.

Soldato
I've got a mostly Reolink system (mix of turret, bullet & PTZ cameras) with a Uniview NVR501-08B-P8 (8Tb drive).

Power/network is managed by a Yuanley 11 port gigabit switch (8x POE, max 120W), currently £49 on Amazon - incredible value and has been rock solid in the two years I've owned it.

I put micro SD cards in each camera (128Gb in each, except the PTZ which has a 512Gb), so I can quickly view & snip compressed footage on my phone via the Reolink app, then if I need to access the full resolution recordings or search specifics using AI, I can use the NVR; it displays on the TV in my study, or I can access it via my PC/Tablet.

Really happy with the system - the cameras are great quality and Reolink's warranty is first class (they've replaced two cameras that developed condensation with the next models up, no quibble).

The Uniview NVR was a bit of a steep learning curve to set up (Onvif/Static IP issues), but I paid £150 with a 4Tb drive on an eBay deal (about 70% under RRP) and although it's not quite as user friendly as the Reolink option, it has a lot more features and headroom for more (higher res) cameras in the future.

Soldato
Which NAS?
If Synology why not use Surveillance Station and any compatible Poe camera? Hikvision still seem well recommended.

It's a Synology DiskStation DS423 so comes with SS, I've got plenty of disk space available so wanted to use this if possible. Any particular Hikvision cameras to recommend (or other brands to look at)?

Ah, just realised it's a paid license to add enough cameras to SS, I'm looking to find a solution that doesn't require a subscription.

Ah2, looks to be a one off cost which is fine. Reolink cameras seem compatible as well so I may try out 1 of those to check out the quality.

Ah3, ordered 2x Reolink RLC-820A as they were less than £60 each and seemed to be the right sort of spec and review. They can save to a NAS via FTP or using Synology SS so I'll check both options out.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's a Synology DiskStation DS423 so comes with SS, I've got plenty of disk space available so wanted to use this if possible. Any particular Hikvision cameras to recommend (or other brands to look at)?

Ah, just realised it's a paid license to add enough cameras to SS, I'm looking to find a solution that doesn't require a subscription.

Ah2, looks to be a one off cost which is fine. Reolink cameras seem compatible as well so I may try out 1 of those to check out the quality.
I've used and tested all of the following Reolink cameras and confirm they work using Onvif/3rd party software/NVR.

RLC-810-A: 8MP/4K Bullet (I currently have 2)
RLC-811A: 8MP/4K Bullet with spotlights
RLC-833A: 8MP/4K Turret with spotlights
RLC-820A: 8MP/4K Turret (I currently have 2)
RLC-823A: 8MP/4K PTZ with spotlights (I have 1)

I've also tried the 12MP range and whilst they're noticeably higher definition at a distance, the size of files they generate are ridiculous, for no real benefit (for my usage).

If you want to keep costs down, the 5MP range (RLC-510/520) are perfectly decent and 5 cameras recording 24/7 to an 8Tb drive gives approx 6 weeks of footage before writing over.
You can usually pick up a pair of 5MP turrets for under £70.

Soldato
I've used and tested all of the following Reolink cameras and confirm they work using Onvif/3rd party software/NVR.

RLC-810-A: 8MP/4K Bullet (I currently have 2)
RLC-811A: 8MP/4K Bullet with spotlights
RLC-833A: 8MP/4K Turret with spotlights
RLC-820A: 8MP/4K Turret (I currently have 2)
RLC-823A: 8MP/4K PTZ with spotlights (I have 1)

I've also tried the 12MP range and whilst they're noticeably higher definition at a distance, the size of files they generate are ridiculous, for no real benefit (for my usage).

If you want to keep costs down, the 5MP range (RLC-510/520) are perfectly decent and 5 cameras recording 24/7 to an 8Tb drive gives approx 6 weeks of footage before writing over.
You can usually pick up a pair of 5MP turrets for under £70.
The Reolink 510A and 520A are great for the price.

Thanks both, that's very helpful. I've managed to get 2x RLC-820A for £60 each which seemed like good value. I'll test them out and then see if they are suitable and then buy a couple of bullet ones if they are.

Associate
Can anyone explain to me the relevant merits of recording footage on SD cards vs SSD/NVR?
sd card would be in the camera which if outside, is not secure. You can back it up but I wouldn't store on sd card. NVR will be inside and can be hidden away. Also an sd card would not last as long with all the writing to it.

Last edited:
Soldato
sd card would be in the camera which if outside, is not secure. You can back it up but I wouldn't store on sd card. NVR will be inside and can be hidden away. Also an sd card would not last as long with all the writing to it

I put SD cards in each of mine, as it's handy to use the Reolink app to watch stuff in real-time, or quickly grab snippets of footage whilst out & about on your phone.

NVR storage is definitely better quality (and with a 4Tb+ drive, can store much more), but unless you can remote-in to the NVR, it can be a bit of a faff to quickly pull footage off of it.

Sd Card + NVR/NAS gives you the best of both worlds (and dual redundancy if either camera or NVR gets knicked).

Back
Top Bottom