Spec me a CCTV System

Soldato
Turrets are better than domes and the 2342's are always my choice unless you are afraid of someone moving it, then you have go for a dome.

Only problem with the turrets are they are kind of big but as long as you don't use a junction box, you can get away with it. I'm not sure if the 4mp domes from Hikvision are mini and if not, the domes will be just as big.

What do you use covering the front of your house?

Aren't the turrets quite ugly? I'm looking at CCTV and like the dome cameras as they are discrete.

Soldato
Turrets are better than domes and the 2342's are always my choice unless you are afraid of someone moving it, then you have go for a dome.

Only problem with the turrets are they are kind of big but as long as you don't use a junction box, you can get away with it. I'm not sure if the 4mp domes from Hikvision are mini and if not, the domes will be just as big.

What do you use covering the front of your house?

I think the turret cameras are quite ugly, the dome ones seem a bit more discrete.

Right now I have a DS-2CD3132F-I 3MP 4mm covering the front of the house (mainly for the cars) which is positioned right in the middle of the fascia boards. I have a DS-2CD2145F-IS 4mm on the way which will cover the side of the house, both my side entrance and the elderly couple next door.

Yesterday I ordered another DS-2CD2145F-IS but this time a 2.8mm for the front door to capture faces.

This will all be connected to a Dell T20 running xpenology in the loft powered by POE.

Soldato
As they are mini domes, they should look fine. My issue with domes are their poor night vision performance compared to the EXIR of turrets. Different league altogether.

Why did you opt for the Chinese version of the domes? Upgrading the firmware is always a bonus.

Associate
Hi I was hoping for some advise
My neighbour is looking for some CCTV to protect a storage shed of his
Problem is that it is around 300m away from his house and he doesn't want to be going up their to watch footage or anything
We can get line of site so I was thinking a wireless bridge between the two locations such as a Ubiquiti NanoStation
Would I get a standard analogue camera kit and have the DVR in the shed? In which case is the network interface any good on DVRs to access it from the house? Obviously no heating in the shed so that may cause problem for a DVR
Or would I suggest getting network attached cameras and pop a switch in the shed and use an NVR in the house?
We would be looking to connect two or three cameras I expect

Many thanks :)

Soldato
If you think the DVR or NVR would be safe in the shed then have it in the shed.

One way I would do it is have a large weatherproof enclosure in the shed and fit a Poe switch. From there, have three cat cables out to the cameras. Also have the Poe kit for the Ubiquiti Nanostation in the enclosure with one cat cable going out to the Nanostation.

At the house, you can have a NVR connected to you big TV and to your internal Lan. The NVR will remotely connect to your three cameras at the shed.

Soldato
My mum currently has 2 x Hikvision 1080p bullet cameras fitted to their house which is wired back to her Hikvision DVR. They are POE I believe.

What camera would be best to buy that can be wired to same DVR but for internal use only to monitor the inside of the downstairs of their house?

Have seen there are various WiFi ones you can buy off Amazon for internal use but was hoping there would be a Hikvision variant that doesn't cost the Earth and can be wired direct to the DVR.

Last edited:
Associate
my brother is looking to get new cctv cameras installed in his shop. current system is old and pretty useless and resolution is so low and cant view remotely.

Needs approx 10 indoor cameras and 2 outdoors.
Some of the cams need ability to view in the dark so some sort of IR floodlight also.
16 channel dvr/nvr
ability to view from remote locations

Hikvision cams up to the job?

Last edited:
Associate
My mum currently has 2 x Hikvision 1080p bullet cameras fitted to their house which is wired back to her Hikvision DVR. They are POE I believe.

What camera would be best to buy that can be wired to same DVR but for internal use only to monitor the inside of the downstairs of their house?

Have seen there are various WiFi ones you can buy off Amazon for internal use but was hoping there would be a Hikvision variant that doesn't cost the Earth and can be wired direct to the DVR.

DS-2CD2E10F if its going indoors and you dont mind a ceiling fit - would be the most discrete imo

Soldato
I have 3x Hikvision cameras as follows:

- 1 covering the front of the house mounted to the fascia of the roof covering my cars
- 1 covering the porch at just above head level to cover anyone walking up to the front door
- 1 covering both mine and my neighbour's side gates

Although they are quite discreet dome cameras, someone told me that for the footage to be used should anyone attempt to break in, that I need to clearly display signs notifying people that they are being recorded.

Is there any truth in this?

Commissario
I have 3x Hikvision cameras as follows:

- 1 covering the front of the house mounted to the fascia of the roof covering my cars
- 1 covering the porch at just above head level to cover anyone walking up to the front door
- 1 covering both mine and my neighbour's side gates

Although they are quite discreet dome cameras, someone told me that for the footage to be used should anyone attempt to break in, that I need to clearly display signs notifying people that they are being recorded.

Is there any truth in this?

For private property you don't need any signage from memory, it's only if it's in use for business or similar purposes that you need to put up signs and register with the data protection people.

FNG

FNG

Associate
You have to be careful about covering other peoples property. Your neighbour's gate is ok as long as he is aware of it, but none of them can be recording any public right of way, such as a footpath, even incidentally.

Associate
Er that's not how I read it

You can but it will be subject to DPA:

"What if my camera captures footage of individuals beyond the boundaries of my property?

You must consider whether it is necessary for your camera to operate beyond the boundary of your property.

If your camera covers, even partially, any areas beyond the boundaries of your property, such as neighbouring gardens or the street, then it will no longer be exempt from the Data Protection Act (DPA) under the domestic purposes exemption. This does not mean that you are breaching the DPA but it does mean that you might need to take some steps to comply with it."

FNG

FNG

Associate
Yeah sorry. I meant don't point it at your neighbours gate if you don't want to stick CCTV recording signs over your property as required by the DPA!

Back
Top Bottom