Spec me a CCTV System

Soldato
Looking for a CCTV system for monitoring the street I live on. Neighbours and I have had a few issues with kids from the local school and occasional vandalism so looking for a way to monitor.

Due to the placement of the cameras (150 meters apart) were looking for a wireless solution.

I've seen a few kits around but I have no idea what I'm supposed to be looking for.

Could I get some suggestions please?

Soldato
There's been an increase in anti-social behaviour round here. Shame as traditionally it's always been relatively quiet. Two recent stabbings have also heightened police presence etc. Not caught anything on my CCTV yet, but I did just use it to check my brakelights in advance on MOT test this week :D

Soldato
So the spiders round here are pretty smart. They've decided to set up shop every night and cover my bullet cam with webs to catch bugs no doubt attracted to the IR light.

Anyone have personal experience using any deterrents?
Vaseline on the camera body. Sounds stupid lol, but works until it gets rained off after quite a while

Soldato
Part of me was wondering if that's a prank designed to make me lube up my CCTV, but I guess they can't anchor to a greasy substance? Worth a try.
Lol yeah don't get it on the lens :p

But yeah that's the general idea, they don't like stepping in it so put it on part of the camera body / junction box to prevent them getting near the lens :) Doesn't last forever, but hey, it's cheap and relatively easy

Soldato
Looking at some Hikvision kit to move away from our old system... Previously tried two Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I from Amazon (just as a test, then returned them). One 2.8mm and one 4mm.

Obviously 2.8mm was wider, but the 4mm showed more detail.

Is the above camera still the 'go to' Hikvision at the moment, @Hyburnate? Best place to buy Amazon or not?

What's the best NVR to go with these? I'm struggling to see the main differences between the specifics, and in general between the 7100, 7600, 7700 and 9600 ranges.

Any advice please anyone / @Hyburnate? Would be greatly appreciated :D

Soldato
I have the turret you are mentioning on the front of my house, it's really good, though I'm sure @Hyburnate will be along for some professional opinions.

Only word of warning is I got both my Hikvisions from Amazon and both had to be returned as they were returns themselves and the passwords were locked out. Hikvision doesn't recognise Amazon as an official reseller so apparently if you lock yourself out they won't do a password reset for you. You mileage may vary, I went with Amazon in the end (after they gave me new cameras) as they were the cheapest, and I was in a rush and didn't want to gamble with any companies I haven't used before.

Soldato
I don't actually spec turret cameras that much as I never see a use for them over and above a standard dome. However, that's the one I'd go for.
Amazon is not an authorised distributor of Hikvision as far as I'm aware, I couldn't recommend them as a way to purchase. Regarding the difference between the NVRs, usually, it's bays/SATA Interfaces; however, it they will usually have differences in alarm inputs etc. If you're sticking to the one camera then a 4CH NVR with a single bay will do, such as the DS-7604NI-K1/4P. It should also come with a recent version of the firmware including Hik-Connect.

@azibux1 @SiD the Turtle

Soldato
I have the turret you are mentioning on the front of my house, it's really good, though I'm sure @Hyburnate will be along for some professional opinions.

Only word of warning is I got both my Hikvisions from Amazon and both had to be returned as they were returns themselves and the passwords were locked out. Hikvision doesn't recognise Amazon as an official reseller so apparently if you lock yourself out they won't do a password reset for you. You mileage may vary, I went with Amazon in the end (after they gave me new cameras) as they were the cheapest, and I was in a rush and didn't want to gamble with any companies I haven't used before.
Thanks! It was amazing when I had one temporarily from Amazon
I don't actually spec turret cameras that much as I never see a use for them over and above a standard dome. However, that's the one I'd go for.
Amazon is not an authorised distributor of Hikvision as far as I'm aware, I couldn't recommend them as a way to purchase. Regarding the difference between the NVRs, usually, it's bays/SATA Interfaces; however, it they will usually have differences in alarm inputs etc. If you're sticking to the one camera then a 4CH NVR with a single bay will do, such as the DS-7604NI-K1/4P. It should also come with a recent version of the firmware including Hik-Connect.

@azibux1 @SiD the Turtle
Thanks! :)

Got a list / link to anywhere you'd recommend purchasing from? That the general public can buy from.

Which camera would you go for over the turret? I am only really going for that for the EXIR night vision... The regular domes have inferior night vision in comparison surely?

Will be about 6 cameras, that one was just an example (will probably be a few of them, varying lens sizes)

Soldato
Thanks! It was amazing when I had one temporarily from Amazon

Thanks! :)

Got a list / link to anywhere you'd recommend purchasing from? That the general public can buy from.

Which camera would you go for over the turret? I am only really going for that for the EXIR night vision... The regular domes have inferior night vision in comparison surely?

Will be about 6 cameras, that one was just an example (will probably be a few of them, varying lens sizes)

Use-IP seem a decent company, they've been in the industry for a very long time and they know the product set well. The regular domes do not do quite as well at night, however we find that the turrets struggle from spiders more, and they aren't as vandal resistant and when you look at how well a dome camera performs at night, the trade off isn't worth it. We tend to install the darkfighter domes where decent night vision is required, as good as the turrets may be the camera will still drop to black and white whereas a darkfighter will stay in full colour (providing light levels aren't ridiculously low).

Soldato
Use-IP seem a decent company, they've been in the industry for a very long time and they know the product set well. The regular domes do not do quite as well at night, however we find that the turrets struggle from spiders more, and they aren't as vandal resistant and when you look at how well a dome camera performs at night, the trade off isn't worth it. We tend to install the darkfighter domes where decent night vision is required, as good as the turrets may be the camera will still drop to black and white whereas a darkfighter will stay in full colour (providing light levels aren't ridiculously low).
Thanks @Hyburnate!

Will take a look at all of that soon and maybe / probably consider a more traditional dome then instead! :)

The darkfighter domes also work quite well in the day? Compared to other domes / the EXIR turrets?

Soldato
Thanks @Hyburnate!

Will take a look at all of that soon and maybe / probably consider a more traditional dome then instead! :)

The darkfighter domes also work quite well in the day? Compared to other domes / the EXIR turrets?

Yep, they're very good during the day. Our most popular model is a 2MP varifocal, but it's still an awesome camera. I should be able to get you shots and model numbers on Monday if you give me a nudge.

Soldato
Thanks @Hyburnate!

Yep, they're very good during the day. Our most popular model is a 2MP varifocal, but it's still an awesome camera. I should be able to get you shots and model numbers on Monday if you give me a nudge.
That would be great!

Will drop you a trust Monday!

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom