Spec me a CCTV System

Caporegime
Does anyone here have CCTV setup at their home? I need to film my pond in real-time , record the footage and film in pitch black.

Monitoring from an iPad , pc would be desirable...

Is this possible ?

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum but dint know where to post it....

wnb

wnb

Soldato
Were building dog kennels and were wanting the ability for people to be able to check in on their dogs while on holiday via an app. We have 20 kennels but would like to setup a couple of camera's to see what the feed back is from customers, if it goes well the system should be easily scaleable to 20 cameras.

Soldato
Should I avoid the above and look more at Hikvision?

I had budgeted about a grand but may have to spend more on an IP setup?

IP is better, easier to install and more future proof, but as you said, does cost more.

Here's typically what you would be looking at for a Hikvision IP setup:

Cameras:
5x DS-2CD2355FWD-I, with junction box mount: £670

NVR:
DS-7608NI-KS-8P: £200

HDD:
WD Purple 4TB: £110

Cable:
300m of Cat 5e or Cat 6, outdoor rated: £100

That's about £1100 once you include the RJ45 connectors.

Associate
IP is better, easier to install and more future proof, but as you said, does cost more.

Cameras:

NVR:

HDD:

Cable:

Thanks for the heads up. Everyone I spoke to including installers have said go down the IP route and having done more research will go down this path.

I got a quote back for a Qvis/Adata IP setup with 6 cameras and had another chap come out for a Hikvision setup who'll send a quote today.

The Qvis cameras are 5MP with motorised zoom and varifocal lens. They are eyeball cameras and a couple of bullets.

The Hikvision is 6MP and fixed 2.8mm all around and are anti-vandal domes.

I have the ability to swap some or all out for different cameras but unsure I need to or should.

Both isntallers suggested different positions for the cameras so need to get my head around that and choose where.

Any tips on which path to take?!

Thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
I recently installed CCTV above my garage using the following:

Seagate SkyHawk 4 TB
HiWatch by Hikvision NVR-104M-A/4P
HiWatch by Hikvision IPC-D140 4mm 4MP

Will look to add more cameras over time. I used power-line adaptors for LAN/internet access.

I am impressed with quality of the video and the infra-red at night although my drive isn't in pitch black.
The web browser plugin is still an issue but there are multiple mobile apps you can use. When i switch the app to HD sometimes the feed hangs. Not sure if this is a bandwidth issue or the apps.

Associate
Is it worth getting a varifocal and motorised camera over a fixed camera? I'm having 2 cameras front, 1 side and 2 at the back of the house.

The Qvis range seems to offer this with their 5MP cameras at same price as Hikvision fixed 2.8mm price point.

Such a minefield looking at cameras and setups.

Soldato
I went for fixed as it was just covering my drive from the garage. I rarely look at the live feed.

A fixed lens doesn’t let you adjust the focal length, angle of view, and level of zoom. Almost all fixed lens cameras have a wide angle. If you need to specifically focus on something and the position of the camera not being great then maybe look varifocal cameras. Cost is something else to consider.

Associate
Anyone got the 6MP Hikvision Turret cameras? I've been given quotes from local installers for these for 5 cameras to go around the front, back and side of my house.

Is 6MP overkill? I've seen guys running lower resolution and seem to be happy. There isn't much in the price difference and want to make it future proof as possible.

I've also been given a quote for Qvis/Ony-x 5MP setup that's a tad cheaper and has varifocal lenses.

Clueless as what I actually need that just does the job for motion alert and viewing when away from home.

Thanks.

Associate
Are the Hikvision 3MP 2335 Turrets still recommended over say the newer cameras out for residential setup? Had a couple of local suppliers finally come back and mention them.

Some have said 6MP others 3/4 being the optimum. Still none the wiser as can't really test these devices or get a demo. Don't want to drop just over a grand and be disappointed.

Thanks.

Associate

Cameras:

NVR:

HDD:

Cable:

Cheers for this. I ended up something similar to this.

Associate
I have a chap coming to install the DS-7608NI-KS-8P next week. I want to be able to access the footage while I am away and any intrusion alerts. Is there anything I should be wary off when someone else is setting up the system?

When a few guys came to quote they showed me footage of other installations. I found this a bit odd and an invasion of the customer's privacy?

I can understand if someone is being paid to monitor something but to have footage of client installs accessible is a step too far?

I want to ensure only me and my family can view the footage and it is configured to be safe as possible. What should I be looking out for?

If I wanted to view it on my MacBook then I guess it picks it up internally via the browser or was going to side-load the app onto my Fire TV.

Thank you.

Soldato
I want to ensure only me and my family can view the footage and it is configured to be safe as possible. What should I be looking out for?

Make sure you have the admin account password (and possibly Hik-connect password), and change it after the installer leaves. Also remove any other accounts that might have been created or change the passwords on those if you want to use them.

Soldato
I have a chap coming to install the DS-7608NI-KS-8P next week. I want to be able to access the footage while I am away and any intrusion alerts. Is there anything I should be wary off when someone else is setting up the system?

When a few guys came to quote they showed me footage of other installations. I found this a bit odd and an invasion of the customer's privacy?

I can understand if someone is being paid to monitor something but to have footage of client installs accessible is a step too far?

If I wanted to view it on my MacBook then I guess it picks it up internally via the browser or was going to side-load the app onto my Fire TV.

Thank you.

That's far from ideal.

I would expect they're setting up the Hik-Connect account and sharing it.

Ensure you get admin details from the installed, login to the GUI and change the verification code.

Associate
Thank you guys for the quick response.

I only want me and the Mrs to have admin access. I would also grant access to my parents so when on holiday they can help out if anything is detected. I do not want the installer to snoop on my property.

I assume I need admin account password to the NVR?

Is Hik-connect needed to open up my router/NVR to allow access via the mobile/tablet/laptop? Is so I will definitely ensure I get Hik-connect password password and check it all post installation.

I do not mind sharing the Hik-connect password with my parents if it allows them access.

When mentioning login to the GUI and change the verification code are you referring to Hik-Connect?

I have read do not lose your admin password as it can lock you out of the system so just want to be wary of anything I should know.

Is everyone in this thread using Hik-Connect to access their footage remotely?

Thank you.

Soldato
You can use the HikConnect app but there are others you can use as well.

You create an admin password when you setup the NVR.

When you are in the config page of the NVR it tells you what ports it uses so you can then forward them on your router to the IP address of the NVR. If you dont you wont be able to connect outside of your LAN. You can use the web console as well to access the NVR.

Soldato
Thank you guys for the quick response.

I only want me and the Mrs to have admin access. I would also grant access to my parents so when on holiday they can help out if anything is detected. I do not want the installer to snoop on my property.

I assume I need admin account password to the NVR?

Yes :)

Is Hik-connect needed to open up my router/NVR to allow access via the mobile/tablet/laptop? Is so I will definitely ensure I get Hik-connect password password and check it all post installation.

Also yes, it uses UPnP to do so if available.

I do not mind sharing the Hik-connect password with my parents if it allows them access.

You can create them a Hik-Connect account and share the device with them.

NESsocK.png

When mentioning login to the GUI and change the verification code are you referring to Hik-Connect?

No, the physical NVR GUI. You can do it through a web browser too (navigate to the NVRs IP address and enter admin username and password)

I have read do not lose your admin password as it can lock you out of the system so just want to be wary of anything I should know.

Yeah, if this happens drop me a message mate, if your installer doesn't play ball I can get you back in.

Is everyone in this thread using Hik-Connect to access their footage remotely?

Yes

Thank you.

You can use the HikConnect app but there are others you can use as well.

You create an admin password when you setup the NVR.

When you are in the config page of the NVR it tells you what ports it uses so you can then forward them on your router to the IP address of the NVR. If you dont you wont be able to connect outside of your LAN. You can use the web console as well to access the NVR.

This ^ But chances are, it'll auto port-forward for you using UPnP

Associate
Thank you chaps and thank you @Hyburnate for your answers. This whole CCTV stuff has gone way over my head from choosing kit to finding an installer but I am nearly there. Just want it installed, setup and then left alone to do it's job safely in the knowledge I can monitor it from time to time when alerts go off or playing back anything suspicious.

Glad to hear UPnP will push all the ports. One installer mentioned he had a server to allow static IP to ensure the NVR always had the same IP address but sounds like the NVR/Hik-Connect can talk easily to my Sky Fibre.

I will pay special attention to it getting configured so have all the above with me rather than a third-party.

On a sidenote I nearly ordered the Hikvision WiFi Doorbell but then found out it needs power and would mean extra work and wiring to make it worth it's while.

The cameras are going either side of the house to lock of the drive and anyone walking up-to the front-door overhang.

Any ideas on what I could add to make getting the door easier for the Mrs looking after the kids or allowing comms with delivery drivers when I am out. It might be overkill once the CCTV kit is installed so just seeing if there is a simple solution to work for basic tasks such as the door area.

Thank you once again.

Soldato
Thank you chaps and thank you @Hyburnate for your answers. This whole CCTV stuff has gone way over my head from choosing kit to finding an installer but I am nearly there. Just want it installed, setup and then left alone to do it's job safely in the knowledge I can monitor it from time to time when alerts go off or playing back anything suspicious.

Glad to hear UPnP will push all the ports. One installer mentioned he had a server to allow static IP to ensure the NVR always had the same IP address but sounds like the NVR/Hik-Connect can talk easily to my Sky Fibre.

Sounds like more of a hostname sort of thing.

I will pay special attention to it getting configured so have all the above with me rather than a third-party.

On a sidenote I nearly ordered the Hikvision WiFi Doorbell but then found out it needs power and would mean extra work and wiring to make it worth it's while.

The cameras are going either side of the house to lock of the drive and anyone walking up-to the front-door overhang.

Any ideas on what I could add to make getting the door easier for the Mrs looking after the kids or allowing comms with delivery drivers when I am out. It might be overkill once the CCTV kit is installed so just seeing if there is a simple solution to work for basic tasks such as the door area.

Thank you once again.

Nest Hello seems pretty well reviewed? I got a Ring Video Pro pretty cheap and love it :)

Soldato

I don't think I'd bother with any smart doorbell, be it Ring, Nest or otherwise if it isn't hard wired. Gotta do the smart doorbell right and wired if it's going to last. At least if you run the right cabling now it should last you at least a few generations of doorbells I'd have thought :)

Associate
I don't think I'd bother with any smart doorbell, be it Ring, Nest or otherwise if it isn't hard wired. Gotta do the smart doorbell right and wired if it's going to last. At least if you run the right cabling now it should last you at least a few generations of doorbells I'd have thought :)

After thinking about this some more and seeing my current setup this will be the route post CCTV installation.

I currently have a Friedland 752 chime / bell transformer that has 220-240 volt input and 3-5-8 volt output, 1.0 Amp and need to investigate whether this can be enough to feed the new fancy bells that simply state switch out the old one and connect the two wires. I will probably need some sort of new transformer to handle the different power. Need to understand it some more before make a decision on which bell.

Back
Top Bottom