Spec me a CCTV System

Associate
To those that have installed their Turret or Dome cameras at first floor level i.e. about 2.8 to 3m above the ground how have you hidden the wiring. I looked at various installations when out for a walk earlier and online posts from various installers and it seems some have managed such a clean finish whereby they only have the camera mounted on a back base and its neat and very tidy.

When I was getting various quotes most said this is possible when on the soffits but anything lower level could or would mean some wiring it visible before it is re-routed to the attic.

Ideally I wanted a really clean install but seems the type of house and location would determine the final installation of wiring externally before it is fed into the house.

Associate
Quick question if I may. I have a Hikvision DVR a DS-7208HUHI-F1/N using iVMS-4200 software on my laptop. I have the DVR set up with 8 cameras connected via BNC connections. I seem to recall the system allows you to connect IP cameras to the DVR. My questions are...

1) given I am using 8 channels for BNC driven cameras, how many IP cameras could I add to the system? Is there a maximum number?

2) is anyone able to recommend a decent IP camera for outdoors usage. Ideally looking to spend not much more than £50, unless that is way too optimistic.

Thanks!!!

Associate
To those that have installed their Turret or Dome cameras at first floor level i.e. about 2.8 to 3m above the ground how have you hidden the wiring. I looked at various installations when out for a walk earlier and online posts from various installers and it seems some have managed such a clean finish whereby they only have the camera mounted on a back base and its neat and very tidy.

When I was getting various quotes most said this is possible when on the soffits but anything lower level could or would mean some wiring it visible before it is re-routed to the attic.

Ideally I wanted a really clean install but seems the type of house and location would determine the final installation of wiring externally before it is fed into the house.

All depends on how much money you want to spend on the install. Either way the wiring will either be visible externally or internally. On new builds you can run the cabling up the cavity walls or if you're lucky and have a network port nearby you simply plug it into that. That's why POE cameras are so popular, you have just the single cable to deal with.

Soldato
Currently 75% renovated our house, and for my last task I am going to be installing CCTV. Partly due to us living in a village, and partly due to nice cars etc.

I am thinking 4 cameras:

1 x mounted first floor corner looking at driveway (FRONT) (Corner Dome)
1 x mounted first floor looking down side of house (Potentially Corner Dome)
1 x rear of house looking at rear garden/door (standard bullet shape)
1 x mounted ground floor front door (reachable to a human) looking at garage and outwardly at front door guest (DOME camera)

I was going to take them all into the loft via Cat6 (I have several reels of the stuff from other network jobs) where they'd be connected via a POE NVM, and then connect the NVM to switch so I can access it internally.

My questions however:

1. Any issues with this idea?
2. Any recommendations for brands? I was considering going Samsung Wisenet
3. Do you think I am better off doing this now or after I have had the loft boarded out and sealed?

Soldato
Quick question if I may. I have a Hikvision DVR a DS-7208HUHI-F1/N using iVMS-4200 software on my laptop. I have the DVR set up with 8 cameras connected via BNC connections. I seem to recall the system allows you to connect IP cameras to the DVR. My questions are...

1) given I am using 8 channels for BNC driven cameras, how many IP cameras could I add to the system? Is there a maximum number?

2) is anyone able to recommend a decent IP camera for outdoors usage. Ideally looking to spend not much more than £50, unless that is way too optimistic.

Thanks!!!
Not got any experience with the Turbo HD stuff, but I think you should have 2CHs for IP.

That is quite optimistic, you can have up to 4MP on your DVR. You wouldn't even get a Hik 4MP for 50 ex VAT usually.

Soldato
Currently 75% renovated our house, and for my last task I am going to be installing CCTV. Partly due to us living in a village, and partly due to nice cars etc.

I am thinking 4 cameras:

1 x mounted first floor corner looking at driveway (FRONT) (Corner Dome)
1 x mounted first floor looking down side of house (Potentially Corner Dome)
1 x rear of house looking at rear garden/door (standard bullet shape)
1 x mounted ground floor front door (reachable to a human) looking at garage and outwardly at front door guest (DOME camera)

I was going to take them all into the loft via Cat6 (I have several reels of the stuff from other network jobs) where they'd be connected via a POE NVM, and then connect the NVM to switch so I can access it internally.

My questions however:

1. Any issues with this idea?
2. Any recommendations for brands? I was considering going Samsung Wisenet
3. Do you think I am better off doing this now or after I have had the loft boarded out and sealed?
I don't usually recommend bullets, preference for me is usually Turrets or Domes at low level (higher IK rating usually).

I like Dahua dependant on price :)

Get the cables in now, I like the idea of the loft mount, that's what I tend to do in domestic installs as its out of theft reach.

Soldato
I don't usually recommend bullets, preference for me is usually Turrets or Domes at low level (higher IK rating usually).

I like Dahua dependant on price :)

Get the cables in now, I like the idea of the loft mount, that's what I tend to do in domestic installs as its out of theft reach.
What about heat issues in the loft?

Soldato
What about heat issues in the loft?

I've had a network stack in the loft for best part of 9 months - right through the crazy summer, and no issues. That is, assuming you mean overheating issues?

If it is to do with the coolness, then that is surely a winner with IT equipment? Although all my kit is in a 12u cabinet up there, it kept fairly free from dust and insects.

Soldato
Yeah I meant heat. Fair enough. My cousin went to the effort of bringing an air feed in from outside, fans, etc... But you guys seem to be OK with just nothing special and simply just leaving the kit up there?

Doing an install soon so may do this if you say you've had no issues

Soldato
Well, touch wood, i've not had any issues due to heat. That may change with a NAS and NVR up there, however it is quite a large space. I'm getting it boarded out by a professional firm 3rd December, so i'll be able to go truly OCD with the cabling and layout then!

Caporegime
So I am thinking as a starter for 10, to get 4 POE cameras and a DVR for the new house.
vgLyGBS.jpg

I'm thinking a 8 camera DVR so I can expand with some internal ones in the future.
For now a wide angle dome for the front door, and turrets for the other 3 locations seems about right.

What do you think the best bang for buck set up would be?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I ended up with cabling running through the loft and back down to a poe switch in an upstairs wardrobe.
Thats then cabled down to my router with the NVR on.

Wasn't overly keen on putting a load of hardware in the loft as the roof will need re-felting and tilling at some point in the next year or two. That being said theres no drip loop in the cat 5e running to the switch so it could still go horribly wrong i guess!

Associate
Guys,

I'm thinking of setting up a CCTV system in my new house. Previously I've used my old HP microserver, 1 Hikvision bullet POE's, 1 Hikvision indoor cam and generic brand POE camera. I found this okay but would prefer a complete solution.

I'm thinking of using the current Hikvision camera and buying two dome camera's to cover the front (soffit fitted) and side (wall mounted) wired back to a NVR instead of the microserver.

Which NVR should I be looking at, and which 4k Hikvision domes? Otherwise, I could go the Nest route or alternative brands?

Cheers, Pete

Soldato
I've had 5 Hikvision cameras for 3 years now but recently had problems with some not working. The problems were twofold, password corruption and firmware updates. This brings home the necessity to have bought these cameras from a proper Hikvision dealer because only they can provide the software keys to reset the camera passwords, they get these from Hikvision themselves.
I have had them networked with an Hikvision NVR via homeplug networking but I'm fed up with the cr@ppy Hikvision software so tomorrow I'm putting together a dedicated pc to handle the cameras and recording using Blue Iris as a video monitoring system.
The camera quality is good, they are all 4 megapixel cameras, expensive but worth it for the quality, particularly for night recording.

Caporegime
I've had 5 Hikvision cameras for 3 years now but recently had problems with some not working. The problems were twofold, password corruption and firmware updates. This brings home the necessity to have bought these cameras from a proper Hikvision dealer because only they can provide the software keys to reset the camera passwords, they get these from Hikvision themselves.

Are you sure about this, i though you could reset using the factory reset buttons on the camera? I know my TRENDnet cameras with Hikvision firmware on can.

Back
Top Bottom