Spec me a CCTV System

Caporegime
DH IPC-HDW4233C-A

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cWa6NH5A

£40 each after discounts.

If you really want the best night image then the new colour Starlights are superb.

https://us.dahuasecurity.com/product/2mp-full-color-3-6mm-epoe-bullet/

Only available as a bullet at the moment in the UK but the domes and turrets should be here by the end of September.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32832960951.html?spm=2114.12010610.8148356.2.53dd736dne49XP

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32580229073.html?spm=2114.12010610.8148356.8.53dd736dne49XP

are both of these not better than the 2mp option?

appreciate some help as I'm looking to buy ASAP.

Also what would be the best NVR?

And best way to mount them to a wall? I can't mount them under a roof will need to attach to wall so would I need the junction box or the wall mount?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32324940864.html

or this

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32815045525.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.1ecb3c006jPxVX&mp=1

if you click on this link

https://www.cctvaware.com/blog/correct-installation-height

that is how I will be installing them to a wall rather than under the overlap of the roof. so 2.6m high for back garden and 5.2m high at front of property.

so do you advise then 6mm for front for zoom? or 3.6mm for wider angles?

back garden i'm thinking 2.8mm because it will be low down so no need for zoom.

thanks for help in advance. i would like the best NVR with smart features. I want to be able to watch cameras off mobile other side of the world, etc. possibly even ping me a notification if a person comes into a certain area too would be great.

Soldato
For me, camera image quality at night takes precedence over almost everything else. So full colour starlight > starlight > IR with CMOS > everything else.

While high megapixel count sounds great on paper, the image quality is usually poor because the pixels are small and the sensors are not as sensitive.

For me the 2 megapixel starlight cameras are currently the sweet spot.

Generally, for wall mounting you want the PFA203W or PFA204W wall mount. That keeps the rain off the camera and gives you a good stable platform to mount it on. Those mounts are about £15 from AliExpress.

3.6mm is probably about right for most things. The 2.8mm can look a bit distorted.

Soldato
For me, camera image quality at night takes precedence over almost everything else. So full colour starlight > starlight > IR with CMOS > everything else.

While high megapixel count sounds great on paper, the image quality is usually poor because the pixels are small and the sensors are not as sensitive.

Generally, for wall mounting you want the PFA203W or PFA204W wall mount. That keeps the rain off the camera and gives you a good stable platform to mount it on. Those mounts are about £15 from AliExpress.

3.6mm is probably about right for most things. The 2.8mm can look a bit distorted.

I just got one of these Dahua's and looks like it's missing the starlight features you mention :( daytime quality is really decent '4k' but you would struggle to ID a face at >10m in pitch black night IR :( I thought it might be a bit better for £85.

Would you recommend spending less on the 2MP starlights for better night images?

Caporegime

Okay so I am going to get 3 x 3.6mm of the 2MP and 1 x 6mm of the 2MP. I will get the 4 wall brackets that will keep rain off.

I am thinking of 1 x switch with 4 x POE so I can shove it in the attic and all wires run outside from the attic.

I then need an NVR (which doesn't need POE).

Any recommendations on POE switches for 4 cameras? Also what NVR? Am I best buying the switch off of somewhere like amazon? NVR from Aliexpress? No point buying a switch from China right?

Man of Honour
I am thinking of 1 x switch with 4 x POE so I can shove it in the attic and all wires run outside from the attic.

This is basically what i've done - although the switch is in a cupboard upstairs with wires fed into the roof so its in a more stable environment. Then have a cable run down to my router separately :) Afraid i've got Hikvision for my cameras and DVR so not sure how much help i'll be.

Caporegime
This is basically what i've done - although the switch is in a cupboard upstairs with wires fed into the roof so its in a more stable environment. Then have a cable run down to my router separately :) Afraid i've got Hikvision for my cameras and DVR so not sure how much help i'll be.

Were you worried about the extreme temperature fluctuations of an attic? It's a breathing attic. Well insulated otherwise.

Man of Honour
Were you worried about the extreme temperature fluctuations of an attic? It's a breathing attic. Well insulated otherwise.
yes - lots of people run servers etc in their loft with no problem. Mine is breathing as well & well insulated from the house but having been up there in the height of summer and depts of winter its usually hotter than outside and as cold during the winter. For the effort of drilling 4 holes figured it was easier than risking the switch.

Soldato
I have a Hikvision 7608 DVR in my loft on a shelf between two trusses and it's been there for a few years now. - was a bit worried during the heat of this year but it was fine and it was stifling hot up there. I would prefer it out of the loft but I have nowhere to put it.
When I moved in here I did put a air vent in both gable ends but I have no idea if it does any good on hot calm days.

Caporegime
yes - lots of people run servers etc in their loft with no problem. Mine is breathing as well & well insulated from the house but having been up there in the height of summer and depts of winter its usually hotter than outside and as cold during the winter. For the effort of drilling 4 holes figured it was easier than risking the switch.

I'm in Scotland so I'm not too bothered about summer. Winter you would think it should be fine unless it goes minus outside. I might build a cover for it in winter. Like a large box that sits over it to keep it warm with it's own heat. Drill a tiny vent hole and hopefully be enough to stop it overheating and keep it warm enough to stop the cold getting to it. All I need to do is then remember to uncover it in March/April and put it back on in November.

Soldato
If you have a look in MM someone is selling a Dahua NVR...

Okay so I am going to get 3 x 3.6mm of the 2MP and 1 x 6mm of the 2MP. I will get the 4 wall brackets that will keep rain off.

I then need an NVR (which doesn't need POE).

Any recommendations on POE switches for 4 cameras? Also what NVR? Am I best buying the switch off of somewhere like amazon? NVR from Aliexpress? No point buying a switch from China right?
a

Caporegime
OK, no problem. Before you ordered did you do any other research about buying stuff from China?

I buy from aliexpress all the time. I know warranty, etc will be an issue. I will fully test everything. They say they come with English language support and are firmware upgradeable. So I'm hoping to just do that straight away.

Everything is made in China usually anyway so hopefully shouldn't be an issue.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Think I've settled on the following camera's but can't see what justifies the cost difference if anybody in the know can decipher please? Specs to my untrained eye are identical.

Grey HiLook by Hikvision IPC-T240H
Grey HiLook by Hikvision THC-T240

Soldato
I buy from aliexpress all the time. I know warranty, etc will be an issue. I will fully test everything. They say they come with English language support and are firmware upgradeable. So I'm hoping to just do that straight away.

Everything is made in China usually anyway so hopefully shouldn't be an issue.

Where does it say the firmware is upgradeable on the cameras? The cameras are Chinese market (Chinese text only on the box) forced-flashed by the seller with older European firmware and are not firmware upgradeable because the part number doesn’t exist in the Dahua flash file. Note the review from the Dutch user who says it has old firmware in it. And the same seller’s amazon store states ‘not user upgradeable’. From looking at the Dahua website and reviews on IPCamTalk forum, those cameras are not Starlight. And yes, I know the description says Starlight, but the review images say not Starlight.

Note that the image of the NVR doesn’t have a Dahua logo on it, so it’s Chinese B stock. Dahua sell their unlabelled B stock to Chinese resellers who then sell it on. It is made by a Dahua but it’s failed QA in some way. Generally it still works, but there may well be something very slightly wrong with it.

Soldato
Think I've settled on the following camera's but can't see what justifies the cost difference if anybody in the know can decipher please? Specs to my untrained eye are identical.

Grey HiLook by Hikvision IPC-T240H
Grey HiLook by Hikvision THC-T240

The H suffix means H.265 and/or H.265+ compression. The T240 only does H.264 and H.264+ compression.

Soldato
Reolink cameras can be bought from the Reolink shop on Amazon and they have a website with lots of info and firmware. Just mentioning it because of the possible warranty issues with grey imports. I've had 3 running now for 2 years via PoE and a QNAP NAS running the NVR software.

Back
Top Bottom