Spec Me a DSLR For Video

Soldato
OP
Thanks, will likely just get new lenses. I only actually have 2 for my Canon, I have a third in a box, in it's return period, so will send that back and likely sell the Canon with the two lenses.

Generally quite happy with the GH5 so far. Took me a little time to get the external mic working, turned out it just didn't like being plugged in while recording, which is fine of course. Had a bit of a focus issue when I walked through a pitch black room and back into a dull, but reasonable room, it took about 10 seconds to find me. I wont often be doing that in use though. Testing in my usual conditions I think it looks a pretty amazing image and I've only tried 1080p 50fps so far. Just charging battery to full to I can patch the latest firmware.

So, do I just look out for M4/3 lenses, or does it have to be Sony E or something? Any good lens suggestions? I might be after mic suggestions too, but I'll start a new thread for that.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks. I use a Rode NT1 when at my desk and sync it in post, although I've found now how I can patch that directly into the camera, which will save a little time. Will look into some reviews of the Rode VideoMic, thanks.

Soldato
OP
Definitely I'm finding a few focus issues. I've put a few bits together from a couple of videos...

The first clips are rather annoying. What's difficult about focusing on me there?! I think I have it set to find a face and focus (whatever that setting is). The second clip, I realised after, I probably wasn't zoomed all the way out, which would have helped had I done so I guess?

Any thoughts on the best settings? I'd be happy enough to lock the focus, but I don't see how this is possible with me at the camera and not in front of it when needing to manually focus it?

Soldato
This is exactly why I suggested the Canon's Andy, we tested the Panasonic's but for our limited uses (short weddding clips) which are mainly faces the Canon's AF is light years ahead of the Panasonics, as I'm no manual focuser and we don't need all of the pro options the GH5 has, the AF is pretty important to us more than anything else tbh.

I did 3 jobs with the GH5 and in the last 2 I had to resort to manual focus with the focus being stuck on a fixed point. I then made the people who were on camera stand within that plane of focus but it's not great for flexibility. This was quite a while ago though so presumed that the firmware updates had fixed the hunting issue.

Some other options would be to ensure the back ground has less contrast / is less 'busy' / darker than your face or make sure whatever you want in focus is the most prominent thing in frame. Grab a 3 stop ND, use 1/50th shutter speed and mess around with the minimum ISO for your preferred look (thats not AF related though!)

Soldato
OP
I don't think any of the Canon's did 4K 60fps? I realise that's massively overkill, but I guess I'm looking for future proof :) If it wasn't this, it would have been the Sony A7(R?) iii... which I guess is still my other option. I could maybe even still take the GH5 back to John Lewis on grounds it's not fit for purpose.

Caporegime
I don't think any of the Canon's did 4K 60fps? I realise that's massively overkill, but I guess I'm looking for future proof :) If it wasn't this, it would have been the Sony A7(R?) iii... which I guess is still my other option. I could maybe even still take the GH5 back to John Lewis on grounds it's not fit for purpose.

You have to go to their cinecam to get 4k/60. Actually it does 6k/60 in the new one announced yesterday....

Soldato

You are right of course but for me it's about the target audience, most of our target audience don't care about 4k 60fps or such things.
If I'm honest I still don't know single person that watches anything in 4k consistently and certainly not over the interwebs due to the bandwidth requirements.

Is there any reason specifically you want 60fps? I've supplied a few samples of 60 vs 24 fps to a few customers in the past and 100% of them have chosen 24fps.
For review type / commentary videos I would have thought 24fps would be fine as it has that cinema / TV look and in my experience only gamers prefer the 60fps for when they are watching gaming vids.

Future proofing is one thing but against what? 24fps is going nowhere and is still preferred, most of the tech channels shoot in 24fps and there is a reason for it.

Back
Top Bottom