Spec Me a DSLR For Video

Soldato
OP
You are right of course but for me it's about the target audience, most of our target audience don't care about 4k 60fps or such things.
If I'm honest I still don't know single person that watches anything in 4k consistently and certainly not over the interwebs due to the bandwidth requirements.

4K will come around. I know it's not a fair comparison now, but can you imagine watching someone with 460p content? In a few years I think 4K will be more common and I guess it will eventually get to the place that 1080p is now. I still have converted family VHS video from many years back which looks terrible these days. Would I rather have it in 1080p? Of course.

60fps, I guess I'm so used to the gaming culture of higher is better. I do often grab stills off video, which will/can be better at a higher fps, right? I also sometimes go sporting events where I would think a higher fps would be better. I tend to prefer to have these options than to not, I guess.

24fps is what you want, it's what our eyes are comfortable with for a film.

What if my eyes are used to 90fps from playing games :) (I do that a lot more than I watch films)

Andy, guessing you've done some searching on the subject? Lots of Youtube videos with various solutions and settings. Looks like there's no 'one size fits all' setting though.

Tbh, not huge amounts just yet. Just starting to look into now really.

Soldato
4K will come around. I know it's not a fair comparison now, but can you imagine watching someone with 460p content? In a few years I think 4K will be more common and I guess it will eventually get to the place that 1080p is now. I still have converted family VHS video from many years back which looks terrible these days. Would I rather have it in 1080p? Of course.

60fps, I guess I'm so used to the gaming culture of higher is better. I do often grab stills off video, which will/can be better at a higher fps, right? I also sometimes go sporting events where I would think a higher fps would be better. I tend to prefer to have these options than to not, I guess.

What if my eyes are used to 90fps from playing games :) (I do that a lot more than I watch films)

It will come around yes you are right but the infrastructure is just not there to support it reasonably even if the demand was there but it isn't and both are years away still in my view. Also phone and tablet screens are far and away the biggest consumption method of internet based media and they aren't 4k anyway.

Also are these videos for you personally or your youtube channel as I would have thought that could make a difference and also what would the primary content be..
FYI I'm also a gamer and use a 144hz screen but much prefer 24fps for video consumption but higher frame rates for gaming obviously. I remember going to see The Hobbit in 48fps at the cinema and hated every second of it!

Soldato
I work in video production and we still output at 1080 25/30 and that's typically web based video ads for multinational companies. I find it funny that the consumer/prosumer market are pushing 4k at high frame rates more than we are. Outputting at higher resolutions, frame rates and thus bit rates kills our workflow massively, and adds a huge amount of time ingesting, transcoding and rendering, amending, rendering again...

That said we often shoot at 4k so that we can reframe in post, and sometime at higher frame rates if we want to time remap/slow down footage for a specific look.

Caporegime
I work in video production and we still output at 1080 25/30 and that's typically web based video ads for multinational companies. I find it funny that the consumer/prosumer market are pushing 4k at high frame rates more than we are. Outputting at higher resolutions, frame rates and thus bit rates kills our workflow massively, and adds a huge amount of time ingesting, transcoding and rendering, amending, rendering again...

That said we often shoot at 4k so that we can reframe in post, and sometime at higher frame rates if we want to time remap/slow down footage for a specific look.

When it is work, it is all about time and money and need.

When it is a consumer...it's about want, rather than need.

Soldato
When it is work, it is all about time and money and need.

When it is a consumer...it's about want, rather than need.

Same, our video dept at work output exclusively 1080 / 25fps as there just isn't mass consumer demand for 4k or 60 fps. My own experience in my 2nd job tells me the same.
However if you want to produce 4k 60fps content that's a very different thing and demand is irrelevant.

Soldato
OP
I do get all of your points and I'm sure I'm really just chasing specs for the sake of specs in some ways.

It will come around yes you are right but the infrastructure is just not there to support it reasonably even if the demand was there but it isn't and both are years away still in my view. Also phone and tablet screens are far and away the biggest consumption method of internet based media and they aren't 4k anyway.

Also are these videos for you personally or your youtube channel as I would have thought that could make a difference and also what would the primary content be.

That's kind of my point with the future proofing. What I mean is, video I make now, will look good in 10 years still (hopefully). This is more for personal videos I might make, due to my dad being into photography and video from the early days of needing two units for video (the shoulder mounted camera and a separate unit for the VHS tape) I like to make family videos too :)

Soldato
You don't shoot in 4k to publish in 4k...you shoot in 4k to correct mistakes in post via crop etc...

As for framerates that totally depends what your doing. we shot equally in 60 and 24.

We also shoot in a mix of gamma curves and bitrates again totally down to what we are doing and how quick it needs to get published. Is the work due in a few days ,you better believe were going 4k 8bit basic curve to get it out quicker.

As someone said above , it is hilarious how these youtubers preach the latest video tech but in actual work none of it rarely matters.

I get excited over more buttons on a camera or how easy it is to rig all the gear onto it,rather than fps, or resolution.

Back
Top Bottom