Spec me a nitro RC buggy....

Soldato
Caporegime
its 129 because its made out of chinese cheese plastic...

brushed electric are faster than nitro aswell much faster... and you dont have the problems with tuning them all the time because the weather is different
if you want nitro get something from a half decent brand like this
http://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=370301

£119 4wd rally car from a make ive actually heard of

it will be so cheap because the remote is crap but you can always replace the electrics with a decent 2.4ghz set at a later date.

hobbyking are awesome for stupidly cheap but good transmitters and recievers

Last edited:
Permabanned
its 129 because its made out of chinese cheese plastic...

brushed electric are faster than nitro aswell much faster... and you dont have the problems with tuning them all the time because the weather is different
if you want nitro get something from a half decent brand like this
http://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=370301

£119 4wd rally car from a make ive actually heard of

it will be so cheap because the remote is crap but you can always replace the electrics with a decent 2.4ghz set at a later date.

hobbyking are awesome for stupidly cheap but good transmitters and recievers

I agree with this. My first nitro RC was a Thunder Tiger and while it was of lower quality than my Dad's HPI it was easy to get replacement parts for and ran quite well.

Soldato
OP
I am no stranger to HobbyKing. I fly a HK450 GT.
HobbyKing has nothing even approaching this sort of value for money.
The quality is incredible, the only downside (if you can call it a downside) is its 2wd.
4wd upgrade kit is £50.

Associate
Lets just get one thing straight, it's an entry level RC buggy, not a pro or racing model

I agree with arknor, it's cheap because it's made out of cheese. Have you got any experience with nitro engines? They can be fickle beasts and get affected by the weather.

Are you looking for a 1/8th buggy specifically or would go with something smaller?

Caporegime
I have no doubt its cheese.
the first crash and it will disintegrate into a million cheese pizzas or something on the car like a suspension arm will bend and snap after a few tumbles that will no doubt happen

It's best to properly research your first buy and not just got with something because its cheap.

head over to somewhere like http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/index tell them your budget and ask for advice.

Associate
For people looking for starter buggy kits then this one is very good for the price -

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/team-c-jekyll-rear-engine-2wd-buggy-kit/rc-car-products/369400

Its a proven design thats been around for a long time, used to be called the Mad Rat when Ansmann sold it but now Team C have relaunched it as the Jekyll, it was originally a Team C car anyway.

A 1/10th 2wd buggy kit but you will need to get an ESC, motor,batteries and radio gear. Loads of spares available as well as upgrades to strengthen it up a bit. Main items to get are aluminium shocks and a full bearing kit.

Just google Mad Rat to get an idea of how good it is for the money. My 5 year old has been using one now for about a year and its still in 1 piece so thats got to count for something!

Last edited:

ajf

ajf

Soldato
I have had two HPI models in the past and they are very good and easily upgradeable. Huge range of parts available online etc.

However as others have said nitro is very tempremental. The first one I had was fine, the second was just constant adjustment everytime I wanted to use it.
I only had them as 'fun' items and didn't race, so with that and the noise I ended up with a Traxxas electric R/C. Can't remember the model but it was a dual motor 14.4v monster truck. Really very good.

Don
For people looking for starter buggy kits then this one is very good for the price -

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/team-c-jekyll-rear-engine-2wd-buggy-kit/rc-car-products/369400

Its a proven design thats been around for a long time, used to be called the Mad Rat when Ansmann sold it but now Team C have relaunched it as the Jekyll, it was originally a Team C car anyway.

A 1/10th 2wd buggy kit but you will need to get an ESC, motor,batteries and radio gear. Loads of spares available as well as upgrades to strengthen it up a bit. Main items to get are aluminium shocks and a full bearing kit.

Just google Mad Rat to get an idea of how good it is for the money. My 5 year old has been using one now for about a year and its still in 1 piece so thats got to count for something!

Alas that is already £300 before you even look at adding radio gear and the other bits. I would imagine that the cost would be close to £500 all-in, which really isn't entry-level budget :(

Back
Top Bottom