Spec me a winter jacket

Soldato
If you feel the cold they are worth every penny, I got mine a week before the beast from the east arrived.

My jacket is XL, although I could have got away with Large, but in XL I can comfortably get a hoodie underneath it if it’s really cold!
I’ll check the sleeve length tomorrow for you.

Cheer's, I'm quite slim and tall and I have trouble with sleeve length sometimes, I'm normally a medium in jackets.

Associate
Thanks very much for doing that, I think I will try to find it on the high street though as it’s a lot of money to spend online for something that I might not be happy with.

No problem, agree 100% - I bought mine in a shop, would never have dropped that amount of £ on a coat online! Local mountaineering/hiking shop.

Soldato
I bought a winter coat online the other day. It's just arrived. It's 600 fp...but it's unbelievably light. It says on it that it's been tested to -15C, which frankly means nothing as it doesn't say what the results are.

Questions I have - are they supposed to be this light? I find it hard to believe this will keep me warm down to -5C (what I'm aiming for).

Is it actually going to be warm? I realise they're basically the same question, I'm just quite surprised.

Soldato
You know, I bought myself a new coat the other day, a nice plain barbour jacket, its light, fairly windproof, keeps out the rain, and while it may not be good for those sunday strolls across the arctic tundra, I realise that I live in the middle of a city, and commute to work and don't need to worry if my coat is rated to -30 degrees or what, I need it to do what I need it to do, and if I get cold, I'll put a jumper on underneath.

Soldato
You know, I bought myself a new coat the other day, a nice plain barbour jacket, its light, fairly windproof, keeps out the rain, and while it may not be good for those sunday strolls across the arctic tundra, I realise that I live in the middle of a city, and commute to work and don't need to worry if my coat is rated to -30 degrees or what, I need it to do what I need it to do, and if I get cold, I'll put a jumper on underneath.

Did the same and am more than happy with it.

Associate
I bought a winter coat online the other day. It's just arrived. It's 600 fp...but it's unbelievably light. It says on it that it's been tested to -15C, which frankly means nothing as it doesn't say what the results are.

Questions I have - are they supposed to be this light? I find it hard to believe this will keep me warm down to -5C (what I'm aiming for).

Is it actually going to be warm? I realise they're basically the same question, I'm just quite surprised.

If it’s a down insulated jacket, yes it will keep you warm. I have a Rab Microlight jacket and it’s great at keeping you warm however when raining leave it at home. Despite the water repellency statements they are hopeless in the wet. If it’s dry and cold they are fine - I took like to Iceland and on the dry cold days it worked a treat, I had my down parka for when the heavens opened though!

Soldato
I got a last season dare2b jacket cost £29 and its too warm to walk in but great for long days storm watching ,very waterproof and windproof .keep a cheapo quencha packable in my rucksack and thats surprisingly useful (i walk full time ,out of work last 3 months ,1.5 of those in spain)
dont even know if its a good spec probebly not but so toasty
  • Aep kinematics, waterproof and breathable ared v02 20000 polyester 4-way stretch fabric
  • Detachable performance fit technical hood with adjusters and wired peak
  • 100% Polyester
  • Fastening: Zip
  • Jacket
  • UTRG1440_9
  • Breathability rating 10,000/m2/24hrs, durable water repellent finish, taped seams
  • Detachable wind/ snowskirt with gel gripper tape, internal mesh stow pocket
  • Part stretch mesh, part polyester taffeta lining with wr, 1 x zipped internal pocket incl. mp3 port

Soldato
Just picked up one of these Stormgate jackets (be rude not to at half price). It's actually more like coat length (mid thigh), and is waterproof, windproof, breathable, warm etc. I have another winter jacket that is quite heavy, so if you don't do it up, it can put pressure on the back of your neck rather that sitting on your shoulders. I wanted something lighter, but also longer than just a normal jacket, and this fits the bill. It's also very adjustable, including the hood, so it won't just blow off your head like so many do.

Soldato
I've been eyeing up this Rab jacket lately. I get an extra 20% off at Go Outdoors, but I'm thinking it might be overkill for dog walks and low level hiking, so if anyone has any real world experience?

I love buying outdoor clothing though! :D

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15902755/rab-men-s-resolution-down-jacket-15902755

Rab do great jackets, really good hoods. I had one a few years ago, the only problem (like all jackets) is the waterproofing wore off over a couple of years.
20% off discount price items at Go Outdoors is a good saving, mind me asking how you get this? (email also in trust)
Many stores now price match to retail stores and online too now, so can even match the discounted price if the item is exactly the same

Back
Top Bottom