Spec me a winter jacket

Associate
Rab do great jackets, really good hoods. I had one a few years ago, the only problem (like all jackets) is the waterproofing wore off over a couple of years.
20% off discount price items at Go Outdoors is a good saving, mind me asking how you get this? (email also in trust)
Many stores now price match to retail stores and online too now, so can even match the discounted price if the item is exactly the same

I get an extra discount for being a Scout Leader.

Soldato
I just go to somewhere like The Original Factory Shop and try a few on and buy the one I like the best. WTF are all these brands and even model names and numbers all about?? It's a jacket FFS!

Soldato
I just go to somewhere like The Original Factory Shop and try a few on and buy the one I like the best. WTF are all these brands and even model names and numbers all about?? It's a jacket FFS!

Depending what you are using the jacket for requires a different one. e.g. Dog walking, high activity jacket, Arctic expedition etc.
You wouldn't wear a huge arctic down jacket in 0c weather because you would sweat your balls off and it wouldn't be very breathable... unless you are one of the idiots that buy a Canada Goose to wear with shorts and Ray-bans in summer in UK indoors.

I bought a jacket specifically for skiing (snow skirt, arm zip pocket for ski pass etc.) I've got a waterproof thin shell jacket for when its hammering it down with rain but not cold and an ''everyday'' synthetic down jacket that's warm but still reasonably waterproof for 0-15c weather. Standing around in it at almost freezing does get chilly though so thinking of upgrading this to something a little warmer but still waterproof

Ideally, i want something like this but with a chest zipped pocket as it's useful - https://rab.equipment/uk/valiance-jacket

Something like this you would bake in any UK weather - https://rab.equipment/uk/batura-jacket

People must not read/see the rating of -30 and below for CG expedition coats. More fool them when they are boiling hot and need to take it off -
https://www.canadagoose.com/uk/en/expedition-parka-801688665839.html

Last edited:
Associate
For the UK moderate Winters often a heavy jacket will only be wearable a few times a year without being too hot.

That's why I'm of the opinion that the best Winter jacket for the UK is actually a layer of 2 or even 3 lighter jackets that can be worn individually throughout the year.

I have a North Face fleece style inner jacket, then a Patagonia windproof outer layer which is a super warm and comfortable combo, I also have North Face thin cycling jacket with a hood that can go between the two for a triple layer jacket with three level of zips for cooling variation, though generally the 2 layers will do the job.

All three jackets can be worn individually throughout the year except Summer, definitely better than having a large separate Winter jacket unless you need to go skiing or something, but I bet the Patagonia would probably do alright for that too as a outer layer.

Cob

Cob

Soldato
For the UK moderate Winters often a heavy jacket will only be wearable a few times a year without being too hot.

That's why I'm of the opinion that the best Winter jacket for the UK is actually a layer of 2 or even 3 lighter jackets that can be worn individually throughout the year.

I have a North Face fleece style inner jacket, then a Patagonia windproof outer layer which is a super warm and comfortable combo, I also have North Face thin cycling jacket with a hood that can go between the two for a triple layer jacket with three level of zips for cooling variation, though generally the 2 layers will do the job.

All three jackets can be worn individually throughout the year except Summer, definitely better than having a large separate Winter jacket unless you need to go skiing or something, but I bet the Patagonia would probably do alright for that too as a outer layer.
Who can be arsed putting on 3 jackets?

Associate
Who can be arsed putting on 3 jackets?

Takes 2 seconds per jacket, by that logic why bother putting on shirt at all when you can could just have one bulky jacket instead, such a great time saver and all.

Anyway, the vast majority of cold winter days is wearing two. Have you never worn a zip up hoody under a jacket? It's not exactly inconvenient to do.

Soldato
Soldato
Soldato
For general out and about when it might rain but not torrential downpour I have my trust Barbour Cole coat. Really warm but not bulky and a nice fit.
I have just ordered a Regatta Elmore jacket for when it is chucking it down after trying one on at Go Outdoors. The fit was lovely, and it feels like a normal material rather than a plastic waterproof yet it has a very decent hydrostatic head for waterproofing. Unfortunately they only had a foul colour in stock so ordered directly from REgatta at a lower price even including delivery.

I still want to replace my old Ridgeline Monsoon smock (sold it on due to going from 3XL to M/L) for utterly foul weather, but I have too many coats at the moment to sneak another under the wifes nose!

Soldato
If you’re looking at more technical wear, if it’s just light rain then for the UK temps you won’t need anything more than a decent fleece-lined windproof jacket with a DWR (water resistant) treatment... which can be reapplied in future once it wears off, or a mid to heavy weight fleece + a water resistant windbreaker if going the layers route. Layers offer more flexibility as far as using different weight fleeces for different temps (or none at all for going out when there’s a chance of spring showers etc) but obviously you need to try them together to make sure they fit together nicely. Always look at the mountaineering stuff though as anything snow sports carries the associated snow tax with little difference to show for it other than a lift-pass pocket, snow skirt or gaudy colours.

You can layer in a packable down gillet or jacket from Uniqlo or somewhere if it’s bizarrely cold like when we had that ‘Beast from the East’ a few years ago but normally the high levels of insulation you get with some of the more fancy technical jackets just isn’t needed, and if it’s only light rain then there’s no need for Goretex or any of the other layered waterproof membranes which cost a bomb.

Also side-note but re the fur post a few up from here... one of the reasons the proper expedition jackets use real fur is that it deals with the ice crystals that form in extreme cold very, very well - as the animals whose fur it belonged to live/evolved in the harsh conditions it’s designed to be worn in - versus the plastic-based faux-fur which just clumps up and loses it’s protective properties. That’s why it’s used. Entirely unnecessary if you’re not a Canadian in winter or the like, dealing with the kind of conditions that will kill you quickly if you’re not layered up properly though.

Back
Top Bottom