Spec me an LED Torch

Can’t say if it’s the best as there are thousands out there in the £20 range! But I’ve had myC8 (Q5) for over a year and it’s been just fine, long throw and good flood quality. Gina shipping may take a while but I’d still be inclined to save a bit and buy via eBay/dealxtreme etc as you save some money.

It is waterproof and will take a bashing as well :)

Thanks mate for the advice

Just got my Spark SL6-740NW.

They sent me the wrong version as i had ordered the SL6S, no difference in output so i'll keep it too much of a hassle returning it to China!

It does go well with my Zebralight SC600 tho.

1447aza.jpg

Give in to Eagletac 18650 3400. Any advice guys if I need to charge it first or I can use it straight away?

Thanks

PS: I was happy with my Maglite solitaire and Led Lenser P7 until, unfortunately (for my pocket :(), I stumbled into this forum.

thank you :)

do bare in mind that the UV output from these torches is very high intensity, if you don't wear UV-protective goggles you'll seriously damage your eyes.

I'm talking higher intensity UV light than direct sunlight on a bright day.

When I first got mine, I used it for a couple of hours around the house without any eye-protection, my eyes were watering and unbearably itchy for an entire week. :eek:

Just a quick one guys i never got around to ordering my Shadow VG10 so i am just about to.

Which batteries shall I go for from flashaholics?

Remembering that I need to also get a charger too and was going to get the one that Mrk Suggested from flashaholics. Might as well go for the 4 bay charger as its only a few quid more.

Last edited:
Just a quick one guys i never got around to ordering my Shadow VG10 so i am just about to.

Which batteries shall I go for from intl outdoors? Will these be ok?:

http://www.intl-outdoor.com/2-pcs-panasonic-ncr18650a-3100mah-liion-battery-p-213.html

Remembering that I need to also get a charger too and was going to get the one that Mrk Suggested from flashaholics. Might as well go for the 4 bay charger as its only a few quid more.

those batteries are fine, but bare in mind that they are unprotected which means that they can explode if short-circuited, and you have no protection against over-discharge unless the light has over-discharge protection, and even if it does, do you want to rely on it?

As for the charger, I know the Nitecore Intellicharge i4.v2 is getting rather popular, but please do note that as far as charging quality goes, it's not the greatest charger. It's a significant improvement over the first version (which was actively dangerous) but it does still have shared charge-channels, a feature which I find abhorrent.

If you spend just a couple of pounds more from Flashaholics, you could get the Xtar WP6 II, which has six totally 100% independant charge bays and is reputed to be of excellent quality.

Interesting reading;
NiteCore Intellicharger i4 V2 Review

Intellicharger i4 v1 Review :eek:

Xtar WP6 II

Super-Cheap USB-powered 18650 charger!

What's the ideal charge voltage the charger should be taking cells to again?

The Nitecore v2 is taking my Eagletac cells to 4.24v, not actually charged the other cells yet but have charged NiMH batteries too and that's one of the main reasons I got this, the fact that it can charge normal batteries too!

Ah yes it's coming back slowly, as you probably recall, my FJD and Yezl cells were charging to 4.22/3v on the Ultrafire charger that was quite popular on cpf too but I've not had any issue in performance from those fingers crossed!

This is why I like my iCharger 106B+, it charges cells with a perfect CC/CV method and they come off the charger at exactly 4.2v every time :D

Of course, it was a little expensive :p

Actually thinking about it, my multimeter may be slightly off too, it's digital but about a decade old, any way to measure accuracy other than going and getting a new one to compare with?

Actually thinking about it, my multimeter may be slightly off too, it's digital but about a decade old, any way to measure accuracy other than going and getting a new one to compare with?

yes, there are things called "voltage references" but they're more expensive than just buying a new multimeter. If you live near any universities/colleges, they should have calibrated meters that you can compare against.

<edit>
You've also nearly surpassed me on posts in this thread, you ******* :p

Either my multimeter is off or my i4 v2 is undercharging (which isnt that bad as it will prolong the battery life) as they all come out at 4.17v

That's probably not a bad thing :) you'll only be losing about 6% capacity but gaining more than 100 or more charge cycles per cell :D

Last edited:
Hi,

Can anyone recommend me a torch that would meet the below...

* Max £50'ish, but would prefer £30'ish
* Small and lightweight, as I want it as part of my EDC
* MUST take normal batteries (AA/AAA/etc... don't mind if multiple... I just want the ability to be able to easily buy batteries for it from a local shop etc).
* Twist focus ideally... I've seen a few that you pull the end to focus, and don't like the sound of it
* Brighter the better
* Regulated
* Ideally from a brand that also does accessories, as I'll probably want to get a bike mount for it and a holster

I had seen the Led Lenser Police Tech Focus which seemed spot on, but it's un-regulated and the lumen ratings are apparently only relevant for the first few mins before it starts to dull.

I've looked at surefire and fenix, but there are so many i need advice. I've also read about some of the torches talked about on here, but many seem to be running on rechargeables or are too big.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom