Spec me an LED Torch

i just bought (direct from Solarforce) an L2 body (empty) and the newly released Solarforce XM-L T6 (single-mode) P60-dropin.

this bad-boy should be good for 860 lumens otf :D

only came to £22.60 shipped, which was nice!

Beamshots (of the moon!) will be taken when it arrives.

That sounds awesome! I'd be interested to see the results.

Ive got a real nice LED torch that actually has a wind up handle. Its great ive used it so much and ive never had to worry about batteries.

LFWindUpTorch.jpg

This drop in?

http://www.manafont.com/product_inf...3mode-memory-led-dropin-module-42v-max-p-5178

Cree T6, hmmm interesting, the price is very appealing for a DIY torch creation project!

A lensing one is what I'm used to now though, hmmm.

no, the Ultrafire has three modes (I hate modes with a passion) and also has a maximum voltage input of 4.2v which means it can't be used with 2xCR123A cells, which are my power source of choice.

i got mine from here:
http://solarforce-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=RB&s=40&id=160
i went for solarforce because they provide lots of details, are based in HK instead of China and i hear very good things about all their stuff.

Also, the solarforce module has no modes and is designed to take 2xCR123A cells :)

here's a review of that Ultrafire though:
http://www.jayki.com/flashlight_review_board/12151

:)

Last edited:
Guys, I'm hoping someone can help me out, rather than start a new thread I thought I'd just tag on to the end of this one - I've just started playing around with light graffiti, see this guys work for an example:

http://www.michaelbosanko.com/portfolio50325.html

So far I have managed to find a LED Lenser V24 which is cool but I need something that I can draw vivid lines // shapes etc with without the lines being too wide, anyone got any ideas what would be a good choice for this? (the coloured gels are no problem)

So far I've been looking at the LED Lenser range (though they all seem to have too large a beam), Fenix and Inova.

Anyone do this or have any ideas as to what would be ideal? I'm guessing the trick is the size of the LED not the beam itself.

Thanks
wow how do you do them?

Guys, I'm hoping someone can help me out, rather than start a new thread I thought I'd just tag on to the end of this one - I've just started playing around with light graffiti, see this guys work for an example:

http://www.michaelbosanko.com/portfolio50325.html

So far I have managed to find a LED Lenser V24 which is cool but I need something that I can draw vivid lines // shapes etc with without the lines being too wide, anyone got any ideas what would be a good choice for this? (the coloured gels are no problem)

So far I've been looking at the LED Lenser range (though they all seem to have too large a beam), Fenix and Inova.

Anyone do this or have any ideas as to what would be ideal? I'm guessing the trick is the size of the LED not the beam itself.

Thanks

Hello matey, the most throwy (aka, least beam divergence) torch i've seen recently is the solarforce Skyline I, which is apparently like a laser.

affordable too:
http://solarforce-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=LF&s=26&id=123

fair enough then :)

still, it's certainly cheaper than the masterpiece.

a masterpiece head combined with the solarforce XM-L unit would be a beastly sight to see though! :eek:

My ITP SA2 Eluma has stopped working today after only a few months.

Usually I use it once or twice a week, and it had been running on the standard alkaline batteries included (until I got better ones). Today, after 2 weeks maybe of no use, it wouldn't come on. Unscrewing the cap revelaed their batteries had leaked, causing a greyish flaky/powdery deposit between the connections, inside the housing, in the screw thread etc.

Is this likely to be covered by warranty? I am fully aware of having to remove batteries when not using things for a long time, but just 2 weeks!? And it's their own batteries as well.

Usually I use it once or twice a week, and it had been running on the standard alkaline batteries included (until I got better ones). Today, after 2 weeks maybe of no use, it wouldn't come on. Unscrewing the cap revelaed their batteries had leaked, causing a greyish flaky/powdery deposit between the connections, inside the housing, in the screw thread etc.

Is this likely to be covered by warranty? I am fully aware of having to remove batteries when not using things for a long time, but just 2 weeks!? And it's their own batteries as well.

Unlucky :(. I had better tell my sisters bf about this as I got him the same torch for christmas and it came with 2 AA batteries.

I'd imagine if you take pics and send to the supplier they would help you out.

If not though, you could try cleaning the threads and contacts off with some cotton buds soaked in alcohol. They tend to stop working if the contacts get dirty.

Unlucky :(. I had better tell my sisters bf about this as I got him the same torch for christmas and it came with 2 AA batteries.

I'd imagine if you take pics and send to the supplier they would help you out.

If not though, you could try cleaning the threads and contacts off with some cotton buds soaked in alcohol. They tend to stop working if the contacts get dirty.

Tried a quick clean and it's working intermittently. Had to take it apart a bit, and the negative terminal contact (a 2mm thick ring) is corroded. I'll need to clean it properly and see if that solves it. If not, I'll ask get in touch with the manufacturer.

What sort of distance are you guys able to illuminate, those with Solarforce etc? On another board someone asked to do a quick test of my cheap Cree one and managed 182 metres with amber street lighting on the side of a block of flats.

If you have an Android phone then just enable the Ruler in Maps and measure from point to point. Otherwise you'll have to use Google Earth.

Example:

cree-beamdistance.jpg

cree-beamdistance2.jpg

Harsh lessons learnt there - NEVER leave alkaline batteries in high drain pricey electrical item

I only use lithium of ninh cells in my torches.

It is very doubtful that this will be covered by warranty, but try your luck.

Alkaline batteries are the pits when it comes to flash lights, alkalines are prone to leaking and especially so in the use of a light.

Do not use them unless it is an emergency situation and especially do not keep a light with alkaline batteries inserted for stand by situations.

Alkalines are poor at high current loads meaning you will not achieve full brightness with them from your light.

If you like your lights then please ditch the alkalines.

Alkaline batteries really are for true emergency usage.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom