Spec me an LED Torch

If they drive the LED at a higher voltage then they may actually not last as long as AA batteries despite having a greater energy capacity. 14500 batteries don't have anywhere near the capacity of 18650 batteries in any case so I recommend torches that use those instead.

Nothing beats the 3,400 mAh 3.7v 18650 batteries on the market at the minute.

What a faff, I don't actually like the beam pattern of the U2 bulbs, both of them, on any reflector :/
There's something unclean about them compared to the XP-G that I got when I bought the L2 host. I'm going to stick with the XP-G, cleaner and whiter light.

I think the U2s work best in bodies that have bigger reflectors.

Knocking this one down on trial and error :o

Also found out the L2 unscrews at the barrel on the head end too meaning the head has 2 sections, was wondering why the head started unscrewing in another area...

l2_pieces.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Jigsaw. I have a trustfire f20 with a knackered circuit at the top, but seeing as it does not come apart like that I cant really fix it
Did you pick up one of these? Any good?

No, it was sourced from china so I wouldnt have it before Jan and now its not for sale

Wow, what torch is that?
The video has no link to the product so its hard to say. So many clones, pot luck to get one that good I think

Another imressive demo, no link

Last edited:
That's one of the benefits of the SolarForce, you can drill down to every part, the tail cap comes apart as well but I didn't go that far :p The emitter board itself unscrews from its housing.

Makes working and upgrading bits in a modular way really easy. Or maintaining :)

Edit*

Saw this Torch (zoomable) lamp combi in a local homewares store today, for £4 it was a no brainer and can be kept in the car or around the house for those times you don't want hundreds of lumens shining on everything but just an ambient lamp. It takes 3xaaa batteries in its own holster tube thing but I inserted a 14500 900mAh cell and that seems to be powering it just fine. Should provide ample run time and not need to worry about discharge over time :)

ATTJXrs.jpg

hndb0GA.jpg

UfXNwo2.jpg

Last edited:
Did you pick up one of these? Any good?

back in stock i saw. still coming from china though.
Ive had a U2 before, cheap like that and it was good. I dont think its any brighter then a t6 in theory but it does use less power which means it may be more effective as a cheaply made torch then otherwise.
I wonder if 26650 lends much advantage

RS9UfHJ.png
Im waiting for sh-98. Whens it likely to turn up, I dont suppose the bog standard tracking would reflect it arriving in UK until after I receive it

That's one of the benefits of the SolarForce, you can drill down to every part, the tail cap comes apart as well but I didn't go that far :p The emitter board itself unscrews from its housing.

Good recommendation as always mrk, really liking the SolarForce and is definitely more powerful than the VG-10.

Did you get that ebay upgrade in the end? How did you find it if so?

Good recommendation as always mrk, really liking the SolarForce and is definitely more powerful than the VG-10.

Did you get that ebay upgrade in the end? How did you find it if so?

I did but sadly I wasn't too impressed with either U2 emitter. The hotspot is bright and big yet focused but the colour is too yellow for my liking. I prefer an almost pure white like the XP-G is. The TN31 spot is off white with a hint of blue thanks to the AR coated lens. I think a U2 emitter is too much power for such a small head, really needs a C8 sized head to properly work.

Gone back to the trusty XP-G on the SolarForce and will keep it at that! Will save the U2 if I get a deal on a bigger host at any point though. One with an AR lens to offset the yellow hotspot.

Still waiting

GBtSTtw.jpg

:p

Lol, it's actually still raining. There have been clear nights but I've not been around to have a play. Soon... soon.

Well my Zebralight SC600 Mk II XM-L2 has finally arrived, time to put it to the test. Just glad I managed to find a proper 1,100 lumen torch and a not one of those fraud torches like Nitecore ones which automatically step down massively after a few mins.

Back
Top Bottom