Spec me an LED Torch

think ive completed full circle of torches... started with cheap £1.99 plastic incan torch onto maglite incans then onto big lumen china torches. Now ive picked up a small maglite mini Pro (226lumen led) only does on or off and candle stick mode.

to behonest its a great small pocket light with maglite durability.

think ive completed full circle of torches... started with cheap £1.99 plastic incan torch onto maglite incans then onto big lumen china torches. Now ive picked up a small maglite mini Pro (226lumen led) only does on or off and candle stick mode.

to behonest its a great small pocket light with maglite durability.

That's pretty much what I did too! I started with an ancient incan thing, then a mini-mag AAA, progressing on to China-cheapies, then to china megalumens before getting acquainted with SureFires (oh god, my wallet still bleeds).

I ended up settling on a ~120 lumen 1x AA Quark Tactical, modes set to "max" and "low". Perfect.

Hey folks right spec me time :p

So need a small very bright and very robust torch.

Requirements;

Length:ideally the handle no 4longer than the width of the palm (head can stick out though) so about 4-5 inches length
Robust; will be exposed to strong vibration (and potential fretting), cold down to -10, heat up to about 60c, will be exposed to salt, water, oil, grease but shouldn't get much solvents on it.

Bright as possible, easily cleanable lense/maybe a removable lens cover?

Run of rechargeable batteries (replaceable not an inbuilt one that when it's dead the torch is dead)

Button to activate on base.

And yeah its gonna get battered about so tough as possible body, and be serviceable.

Life time at least 5 years before anything hut batteries need changing.

Sub £100 ideally

Last edited:

I keep a wind up Led torch in car - If you never touch it for month's a normal one might be dead when you need it.

Dave

Hey folks right spec me time :p

So need a small very bright and very robust torch.

Requirements;

Length:ideally the handle no 4longer than the width of the palm (head can stick out though) so about 4-5 inches length
Robust; will be exposed to strong vibration (and potential fretting), cold down to -10, heat up to about 60c, will be exposed to salt, water, oil, grease but shouldn't get much solvents on it.

Bright as possible, easily cleanable lense/maybe a removable lens cover?

Run of rechargeable batteries (replaceable not an inbuilt one that when it's dead the torch is dead)

Button to activate on base.

And yeah its gonna get battered about so tough as possible body, and be serviceable.

Life time at least 5 years before anything hut batteries need changing.

Sub £100 ideally

I would recommend a Fenix torch.

My work torch is a Fenix L1T (1xAA, over 5 years old) which has been dropped onto concrete, dunked in water and concentrated Sodium Hypochlorite and still going. Just a little silicone grease on the threads every few months.

wheres a good place for rechargeable cr123 lithium batteries?

dont want to risk ebay and getting fakes, also good brand?

Hey Tefal, what do you need them for?

Strictly speaking there are very few rechargeable "CR123A" batteries, as CR123As are 3v, and rechargeable Li-ion cells come in at 4.2v nominal, 3.7v load.

There are some batteries that have a small cell and then a small voltage regulator for 3v, but they're uncommon and not entirely suitable for use in torches.

On the other hand, if the higher voltage isn't a problem, then what you want is a 16340 Li-ion rechargeable cell, same dimension as a CR123A but Li-ion and without any voltage-changing nonsense :D

Hey Tefal, what do you need them for?

Strictly speaking there are very few rechargeable "CR123A" batteries, as CR123As are 3v, and rechargeable Li-ion cells come in at 4.2v nominal, 3.7v load.

There are some batteries that have a small cell and then a small voltage regulator for 3v, but they're uncommon and not entirely suitable for use in torches.

On the other hand, if the higher voltage isn't a problem, then what you want is a 16340 Li-ion rechargeable cell, same dimension as a CR123A but Li-ion and without any voltage-changing nonsense :D

hey i got an inforce 6vx for some airsofting and general torching duties would rather just have rechargeable cells than keep buying new ones.

Am i best off keeping that for the airsoft and picking up a cheap AA battery torch to keep in the bike tool kit with some eneloops?

Any recommendations for an LED torch around £20-£25 mark?

@Aod I think that might be a sea eagle?, Namibia is a beautiful country.

RAC aluminium torch was on sale in Sainsbury's the other day iirc reduced from £30 to £15, good size about 25cm handle, led lights.

Currently using one of these:

http://www.princetontec.com/eos

For outdoor/general use. 1x Maxbright LED, rated 105 lumens, 121 hours regulated. Cost me £18.

Looking for something a little brighter for caving/outdoor use. Don't want to lose too much battery life if possible.

Do people still rate the EOS or have LEDs got better since then? When I was buying it one thing I learned is that not all LEDs are created equal :) People were talking about modding the EOS with more powerful LEDs, but that probably isn't something I'm capable of doing, tbh :p

Back
Top Bottom