Spec me an LED Torch

Anyone ever buy one of those Boruit headlamps from eBay?

I'm still looking for a headlamp, max £40, after deciding the Zebralight was just too much dosh, and wanted a better runtime than a single 18650 would provide.

Preferably with the cree XM-L2 LEDs (those are the bestest right now, huh?)

What's a good bullet proof, long lasting, light weight head torch which takes AA or AAA for hiking.

Got a Chinese Cree 2000lm for work but takes 18650, heavy and easily broken.

Did either of you find something while you were looking? FoxEye I saw your recent post but I'm just looking for an 'off the shelf' solution.

Wanted something for a while and got a camping trip coming up soon it would be handy for.

Aldi is doing a CREE torch, it's only £6.99 but it looks as bright as my old XML one.

Takes 2xAA which is great for the car, I don't want to get stuck with a dead 18650 when I can keep a handful of AA's in the glove box.

Did either of you find something while you were looking? FoxEye I saw your recent post but I'm just looking for an 'off the shelf' solution.

Wanted something for a while and got a camping trip coming up soon it would be handy for.

I bought a 2200 "Chinese Lumens" headlamp from Amazon (same as found on eBay). The real out-the-front lumens is probably more like 400, but it's bright enough.

I've been recommended to get a Convoy torch, as they are a good modders choice, and apparently pretty good off the shelf anyhow. Output more like 800 to 1k lumens.

Just went to put a new battery in my old Fenix L-something or other (single AA model from 2007) and it's dead :(

Any recommendations for a single AA very casual use torch, say £20/30 max but if something like the Convoy above is decent enough that'd be fine :)

Just went to put a new battery in my old Fenix L-something or other (single AA model from 2007) and it's dead :(

Any recommendations for a single AA very casual use torch, say £20/30 max but if something like the Convoy above is decent enough that'd be fine :)

Your dead Fenix is probably an L1T. I've got two. One is my work torch and has seen all manner of abuse and is still going.

If you like Fenix I suggest a Fenix E12.

It was/is an L1D, I ordered an E12 yesterday afternoon then for some reason thought I'd try the old torch one more time (after it refused to work the previous day) and as if by magic it started working fine??

Very odd, so cancelled the order and have my L1D all working again :)

Nice, I EDC an EagleTAC 2014 D25A Ti with the Nichia 219 emitter :D
What's different about the 2015?

<edit> Oooh, the design/appearance of the 2015 is much nicer, I like the extra grooves and the rounded step at the threads.

Nice, I EDC an EagleTAC 2014 D25A Ti with the Nichia 219 emitter :D
What's different about the 2015?

<edit> Oooh, the design/appearance of the 2015 is much nicer, I like the extra grooves and the rounded step at the threads.

I have the XM-L2 U2 version , overdriven with Nitecore RCR123A batteries in it , more than bright enough.

Tempted to the 2015 version , but none of the usual UK Stockists have them in yet.

Might go for a Nichia emitter this time for a more natural light.

How is the head on yours doing thermally when overdriven like that? Even on Eneloops, the head of my D25A gets worryingly hot on max brightness after just a couple of minutes of use.

How is the head on yours doing thermally when overdriven like that? Even on Eneloops, the head of my D25A gets worryingly hot on max brightness after just a couple of minutes of use.

On high it does get warm , but it is manageable for long >10 mins use.

However on Turbo(Overdrive) it does get really hot and it needs to switch off after a few mins before it gets too hot to handle.

Its mentioned in the manual anyways not to use it for too long on Turbo (Overdrive) mode

On Li-Ion, sure, but I hadn't expected it to be an issue with NiMH!

Either way, I highly recommend the Nichia 219 LED, especially if you don't need more than ~150 Lumens. The quality of light is immense, things look the same colour as they do in sunlight which is really handy for detail work.

Also, because the light isn't saturated with blue, it's less tiring on the eyes :D

On Li-Ion, sure, but I hadn't expected it to be an issue with NiMH!

Either way, I highly recommend the Nichia 219 LED, especially if you don't need more than ~150 Lumens. The quality of light is immense, things look the same colour as they do in sunlight which is really handy for detail work.

Also, because the light isn't saturated with blue, it's less tiring on the eyes :D

:D time have a hunt around to see who can get them in stock in the UK 1st.

It was/is an L1D, I ordered an E12 yesterday afternoon then for some reason thought I'd try the old torch one more time (after it refused to work the previous day) and as if by magic it started working fine??

Very odd, so cancelled the order and have my L1D all working again :)

One thing to check is the battery cap. The spring holder inside can unscrew and if it's too loose the torch stops working.

I'm still looking for a torch with a decent flood, preferably a Chinese make (as it will be cheaper out here)? Probably in the range £40 to £60.

I've been using an Ultrafire C8 for several years now. It doesn't seem as bright as it once was, and it's too beamy - I need something to look into ballast tanks of ships so reach isn't so important.

I've seen the Nitecore EA41 selling for £43 out here - is that quite floody? Also, someone mentioned it takes 4xAA rather than a rechargeable battery so he didn't recommend it (I don't really understand why not, can't I just get rechargeable AAs for it?).

Anything better on the market at the moment?

LEDs are brilliant. Long lasting and very efficient. However, I would hate to use one to light up my bedroom. It's light is very 'artificial', not soft like the old incandescent light bulbs.

Last edited:
My cousin goes camping for 3-4 days at a time and has asked me for a good torch. He'll need batteries and a charger, total £100 budget.

Ive asked him and he wants it more throwy than floody, but a good all round torch.

Im thinking a Solarforce with a bunch of 18650s and maybe an 18650 solar charger?

Back
Top Bottom