Spec me an LED Torch

I would agree with Aod on that emitter in the C8, khan.

Here is the one you should have bought! The XM-L version ;) http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=11097

This C8 drives the XM-L hard. Many buyers of the above light are pulling over 3amps from their 18650 cell. Combine that with the reflector of the C8 means it will throw further any P60 XM-L drop-in equivalent.

It isn't all bad though khan, the small surface size of the emitter in your C8 means it will throw a smaller concentration of light further!

I say if you are going to buy the XM-L C8, then buy it now. KD and DX have had a nasty habit of changing drivers sooner or later. There have been times in the past where they end up sourcing the light with a different (crap!) driver which doesn't drive the emitter anywhere near what it is capable of.

You will love the L2P khan, while being a quality budget host it also opens up doors to upgrades.

On a different subject my cheapie DX AA Trustfire R5-A3 XP-G has arrived. Quite impressed really.. will try and get some sort of a review up in the next couple of days.

There is something very appealing about lights which are only powered by a single AA battery :).

Last edited:
The upgrading part of the L2P is most appealing, when you guys update with new info on new dropins etc it would make things a lot easier having the shell already so I think I will keep the C8 as it is (it's a pretty powerful torch afterall) and get the L2P and shove that in my camera bag for primary usage when out and about.

This could become a habit hehe!

With your L2P purchase also order this drop-in for it: http://www.manafont.com/product_inf...3mode-memory-led-dropin-module-42v-max-p-5178

I am still waiting for mine to turn up, been 3 long weeks now! People out there are reporting of crazy good brightness from this drop-in (draws around 3amps from an 18650!). It seems to be the leader at the moment for budget output madness for the P60 drop-in format.. sheer budget output madness!

Last edited:
It is hard to say for sure on the runtime as it depends on what driver was used. I am very eager to get a hold of this drop-in to test out this very subject.

I can guarantee the drop-in won't be drawing 3amps from start to finish. So we can't use the initial amp draw from a freshly charged 18650 cell as a gauge.

But I will have a guess and say around an hour. Brightness will not be constant, there will be some kind of decline in brightness over that hour. Budget lights/drop-ins are rarely regulated to give a flat output over time.

Heat can be an issue with these P60 drop-ins. Foil/aluminium is a good thing wrapped around the drop-in to help dissipate heat ;)

Edit: Yes ITC_shop are legit and they sell official Solarforce products. I have ordered quite a few items from them in the past.

Last edited:
Well the price seems to be right so I'll be ordering over the next week or two ta!

The C8 arrived within days so it's strange how other stuff from the other side of the world takes weeks!

Where did you get your C8 from?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Supper-Bright...ing_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item3f06842810

That's the one I bought, in fact all the Cree LED torches I have were from there :p

I just noticed, the auction title says it's a Cree Q5 so I guess that confirms the C8 emitter being used LOL :p

Edit*
Just had a late night thought while in bed actually and I think this might stop me from getting the L2P but I will await for your dropin to arrive and await your review before deciding.

I need at least 2 hours runtime and the Q5 gives at least this for when we're out exploring, if the T6 only gives an hour of runtime with a drop in levels over that hour then I'm going to need to carry additional 18650s which would be a bit inconvenient especially when carrying light for tunnels etc!

I'll await your review and hopefully you can do a runtime test or something which would be very helpful!

Last edited:
no, the Ultrafire has three modes (I hate modes with a passion) and also has a maximum voltage input of 4.2v which means it can't be used with 2xCR123A cells, which are my power source of choice.

I like the idea of the solarforce drop-ins, but would prefer to use eneloop-type AAs. I see that they sell a 2xAA body (L2R) but a) are you restricted to certain drop-ins because of the lower volts and b) I presume that the output would be lower?

I like the idea of the solarforce drop-ins, but would prefer to use eneloop-type AAs. I see that they sell a 2xAA body (L2R) but a) are you restricted to certain drop-ins because of the lower volts and b) I presume that the output would be lower?

I also own a L2R host. It isn't bad at all. My only criticism is about the finish, it will chip off in no time. But not much can be done about this and don't let it put you off ordering one!

You are correct, you are restricted to low voltage drop-ins (generally 0.8V-4.2V). You will get horrible runtimes if you try a drop-in which is meant for a 18650 cell.

Again you are correct: The light output is reduced when running on AA cells. The light will still be brighter than any other LED light you can buy in a shop.

I recommend this drop-in for the L2R: http://www.solarforce-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=RB&s=10&id=113

Last edited:
With your L2P purchase also order this drop-in for it: http://www.manafont.com/product_inf...3mode-memory-led-dropin-module-42v-max-p-5178

I am still waiting for mine to turn up, been 3 long weeks now! People out there are reporting of crazy good brightness from this drop-in (draws around 3amps from an 18650!). It seems to be the leader at the moment for budget output madness for the P60 drop-in format.. sheer budget output madness!

Decided to get the L2P, is this still the best drop-in to get for it?

Decided to get the L2P, is this still the best drop-in to get for it?

It is a good drop-in so they say.

There have been reports though that some recent buyers have received ones which aren't driving the emitter as hard.

I am currently using a kaidomain XM-L drop in, it is extremely bright but unlike the manafont it has 5 modes - SOS and strobe.. bloody annoying!

It is definitely worth a punt on that Manafont drop-in for the price there isn't much else to consider. I am still wanting for mine to arrive, it has been 3 and a half weeks now! DX, KD, Manafont and all based from China can take a ridiculous amount of time to arrive.

The L2P is a great host! I'm sure you will like it.

What do you reckon to this one, it uses the LT6:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UltraFire-C8-...1658092?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item230f5dc1ec

I could very easily make the money back from the Q5 C8 if T6 is as good as you guys say! It should do though, going to 800lumens from 350!

Sorry to pee on your cheerios Khan, but with the XR-E Q5 C8, i doubt you're getting more than 220 "out the front" lumens, and you're unlikely to get more than about 500 or so from an XM-L C8.

the cheap chinese torches simply don't have sufficient heatsinking capabilities to drive the XM-L at such currents, and their drivers rarely drive the LEDs that hard too :p

it's a bit complex :(

with your zoomy-torches, you're likely to be getting much much less actual output, simply because of the way that the optics work. i can explain if you want but it involves diagrams, so i'll only do it if someone asks. :)

<edit> you also seem to be calling the XR-E's "Q5s", and the XM-L a "T6" these are the binning codes (which refer to the categories of luminous flux that the LED's are sorted into by Cree). you shouldn't refer to the LED's by these because there's overlap between different models of emitters and it can lead to confusion. it doesn't help that Retailers seem to do it to but it's a bad habit nonetheless. :)

Last edited:
I also own a L2R host. It isn't bad at all. My only criticism is about the finish, it will chip off in no time. But not much can be done about this and don't let it put you off ordering one!

You are correct, you are restricted to low voltage drop-ins (generally 0.8V-4.2V). You will get horrible runtimes if you try a drop-in which is meant for a 18650 cell.

Again you are correct: The light output is reduced when running on AA cells. The light will still be brighter than any other LED light you can buy in a shop.

I recommend this drop-in for the L2R: http://www.solarforce-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=RB&s=10&id=113

Thanks! :)

Ta AoD, that clears up some confusion on the official model branding - I thought the Q5 was just that across the board, a Q5 :p

the R5 XP-G looks great linked above. I will look at that I think as the runtimes quoted in the spec are just what I (we) need!

So an L2R and XP-G = The business :D

The C8 I have will still be used of course as its pretty powerful but I'm very interested in seeing how much more powerful something like the XP-G is so will post back when the combo arrive :)

Edit*
Ah maybe not the L2R as that's AA batteries only.

Edit2*
Ordered the XP-G and L2 tailstand body @ £20 - bargain!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom