Spec me an LED Torch

Associate
I've just bought one too :) Damned flashlight addiction

I was thinking about ordering a ''Samsung 30T 21700/3000mAh/35A'' for £6.99. Would you recommend the ShockLi over this and if so where can they be purchased? (in UK)

Thanks

Not sure tbh - I'm no expert on these things. There were (are) some concerns that very high drain cells might burn out the LED in the FT03, and I just know that the shockli were recommended on the Budget Light Forums. I got mine from Torchy on ebay ( https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303092379868?ViewItem=&item=303092379868 ) who I've used before, is reliable and only deals in the genuine article. They are a bit more expensive and only come in pairs though.

Soldato
Not sure tbh - I'm no expert on these things. There were (are) some concerns that very high drain cells might burn out the LED in the FT03, and I just know that the shockli were recommended on the Budget Light Forums. I got mine from Torchy on ebay ( https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303092379868?ViewItem=&item=303092379868 ) who I've used before, is reliable and only deals in the genuine article. They are a bit more expensive and only come in pairs though.

I actually ordered these yesterday after reading a couple of concerns about the higher drain batteries, reading your post about recommendations and others on blf and candlepower :)
Having owned a tk75, this should be interesting as its a LOT cheaper

One other thing, can the USB-C be used to charge the 26650 in the torch all the time? (as in no need for an external charger) I have a Nitecore i4 but the old one and it says it only supports up to 18650s, sure a 26650 will charge in it though if it fits

Thanks

Associate
One other thing, can the USB-C be used to charge the 26650 in the torch all the time? (as in no need for an external charger) I have a Nitecore i4 but the old one and it says it only supports up to 18650s, sure a 26650 will charge in it though if it fits

Yes, it works fine with a 26650. The only point to note is that the cell must be below 4V for the internal charger to start charging, so you can't use it to 'top up' a lightly depleted cell.

Soldato
Soldato
The BLF Q8 arrived in the post this morning, and it has some ridiculously complicated mode programming. I'm not sure I can work out how to use it properly. The manual is not very good.

I've got it on ramp mode at the moment, which is adequate, but I'd like to be able to flick through different brightness settings just by hitting the power button once. If anyone has one of these and can offer some advice, I'd appreciate it.

Associate
The BLF Q8 arrived in the post this morning, and it has some ridiculously complicated mode programming. I'm not sure I can work out how to use it properly. The manual is not very good.

I've got it on ramp mode at the moment, which is adequate, but I'd like to be able to flick through different brightness settings just by hitting the power button once. If anyone has one of these and can offer some advice, I'd appreciate it.

One of the Pros (or Cons depending on your point of view) of buying a light designed for 'flashaholics' is that you will likely get many/complex UI options. The Q8 uses a variant of the narsil firmware (similar to the Astrolux FT03 I bought recently). I really like the ramping mode, but there are a number of options to program it to 'mode set' operation which will flick through different brightless levels with each single-click.

This page has a bunch of detail about the narsil firmware: http://budgetlightforum.com/comment/922763#comment-922763

Have a look at the 'mode sets' section which shows what options are available (there are 12 options with different brightness setting levels - ranging from 1-7 levels). The 'Configuration UI operation' section describes how to program the light to change the mode settings.

Yes - it is complicated. Just take it steady and follow the instructions carefully and you'll be fine :)

*edit* beaten by Deluxe1 :p

Soldato

One of the Pros (or Cons depending on your point of view) of buying a light designed for 'flashaholics' is that you will likely get many/complex UI options. The Q8 uses a variant of the narsil firmware (similar to the Astrolux FT03 I bought recently). I really like the ramping mode, but there are a number of options to program it to 'mode set' operation which will flick through different brightless levels with each single-click.

This page has a bunch of detail about the narsil firmware: http://budgetlightforum.com/comment/922763#comment-922763

Have a look at the 'mode sets' section which shows what options are available (there are 12 options with different brightness setting levels - ranging from 1-7 levels). The 'Configuration UI operation' section describes how to program the light to change the mode settings.

Yes - it is complicated. Just take it steady and follow the instructions carefully and you'll be fine :)

*edit* beaten by Deluxe1 :p

Thank you both. I can see that getting into torches is a lot more complex than I originally thought :). I'm looking forward to being able to go out at night and test them out though. Should be a good laugh. Might even take a couple of beers with me.

Soldato
Does anyone rate the olight S2R baton ii rechargeable? I'm looking for a internally rechargeable torch that's pocketable but impressively bright. I'm paramedic so it's mostly going to be used for: occasional wondering about it the dark alleys, being stuck on a table with the expectation to illuminate a room, or if someone's particularly annoying pupilary reflexes.

Soldato
I think a few of us in this thread bought the LuckySun D80 which was dirt cheap well they are making a new model, I'll keep this thread updated.

Soldato
I've been doing a bit of reading up on the BLF Q8 while I try and figure out all of its features and I saw that the software for the firmware seems to be open source so you can change it if you want. Is that correct? As a programmer that would open up some interesting possibilities.

Soldato
Really impressed with it actually, nice simple ui which makes a change.

I got the 5000k version but I might buy another in 6500.

If you want one I can point you in the direction to get a fiver off.

Back
Top Bottom