Spec me an LED Torch

All my lights except my tk30 are packed for a camping trip after work tonight finnish about 9pm then 3 hour to devon set tent up in the dark sorry edit Light :) other wise id take a pic of them all.

Tk30 is my finding houses at night light when delivering.
Why canr people Number or name there house so you can see it clearly from the road without a light.
Why hide there number on the side or in a tree or on a gate thats open or even better not use black writing on brown wood or gold numbers on white should be law to label house's clearly white on black or vise versa and location that can be seen even at night.
What would these people do if they need an ambulance or something in an emergency some roads people dont even name or number then at all ?????

Back on topic spec me a light

Fenix PD30 R4 CR123 batteries or LD20 R4 AA batteries both about the same power and price £50 beat a ledlenser P7 on power and battery life plus more settings all easy to use.

Got my boss a pd30r4 he was very happy, bit more floody than the pd30q5 but keeps the same range with the extra power.

Back on topic spec me a light

Fenix PD30 R4 CR123 batteries or LD20 R4 AA batteries both about the same power and price £50 beat a ledlenser P7 on power and battery life plus more settings all easy to use.

Got my boss a pd30r4 he was very happy, bit more floody than the pd30q5 but keeps the same range with the extra power.

Also look into the Quark AAs.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=254775

I have the aa2 turbo and its a fantastic torch so far. Very well made, easy to program, very bright, moonlight mode is easy bright enough for around the house in pitch black (once your eyes have adjusted)

Those that want lights from over sea dont for get you pay inport tax over £18 or $28

Out of the 16 flashlights I've bought from abroad this year, I've been charged import/duty on only one of them. It'll be pot luck whether an item gets stopped though - overall, I could have 8 lights out of 16 stopped but I'd still be better off overall.

I have recently got the LED Lenser P7. However I have now read about it not being regulated so will just get dimmer and go flat. My brother said he would like p7 so rather than buy him another one I could give him mine and get a different one.

From what I can see the most popular other torches are the Fenix LD20 R4 and the Quark AA 2 Turbo.

Do either of these have the switch on the side rather than the end? Like P7 do you have to hold the button in on them for the turbo mode?

Cheers

Russell

I came home today to find this waiting for me.

43137690.jpg

This is the new version of the ITP EOS A3 which now includes 1khz PWM and new mode sequence of low-med-high.

I had to order from the US as no where in the UK to my knowledge has these updated models yet.

12943217.jpg

First impressions are that it is well made, tiny and very bright! Quite impressive the light output from such a small light. It certainly packs a punch! It will take residence on my keyring where I can see it being extremely useful.

Advertised brightness/runtimes.
80 lumens for 55 minutes
18 lumens for 4 hours
1.5 lumens for 50 hours

I will run some tests on what kind of runtimes I get on this new model soonish.

Last edited:
I was just wondering, imagine you had an led which could convert 100% of the energy its given to light, what would a single AAA or AA battery be capable of in lumens?

Also how good are todays leds in energy to light conversion?

I was just wondering, imagine you had an led which could convert 100% of the energy its given to light, what would a single AAA or AA battery be capable of in lumens?

The LED isn't the limiting factor - it's the battery itself.

You can use a 10440 li-ion which is the same size as a AAA battery and you'll get 200+lumens out of an ITP A3 EOS. A 14500 li-ion (same size as an AA battery) in a Quark Mini AA gives about 280 lumens.

Also how good are todays leds in energy to light conversion?

It's roughly 80% energy converted to light depending on the make/model of LED.

Last edited by a moderator:
The LED isn't the limiting factor - it's the battery itself.

You can use a 10440 li-ion which is the same size as a AAA battery and you'll get 200+lumens out of an ITP A3 EOS. A 14500 li-ion (same size as an AA battery) in a Quark Mini AA gives about 280 lumens.

It's roughly 80% energy converted to light depending on the make/model of LED.

Thats really good, didn't expect them to perform so well.

Yeah, there are LEDS out theer capable for drawing 9 amps + - SST-90 for example - about 3500 lumens.

I went through a LED Lenser phase where I bought a few of them. They're good for what they are and its convenient because they can use normal AA batteries. But if I remember the power isnt regulated so the brightness varies a lot as the batteries run down.

Got a few different Fenix flashlights, the TA21 is very good and on a rechargeable 1850 seems to last ages. Though the selector ring seems to add a little to the size of the torch.

I keep a small Nitecore EZ AA on my keyring. Very nice little torch that.

I want a solar force l2p as a p60 host for my next light but dont know what p60 drop in to get yet, will be something that runs 18650 unprotected so will need over discharge protection.

Also waiting for 2 olight's 1 t20m and 1 t20t from 4sevens garage sale for the gf and my dad.

Well I have just ordered myself an ITP A3. Got the updated version but ordered within the UK. Will look into using lithiums at some point though. Will be interesting how it stacks up against my Fenix L2D Q5.

Ok can someone torch boffin kindly give me some advice??

I want the best torch that I can get thats a reasonable size..

So something about the size of a 2 x AA maglite..

Are there any of these super bright LED torches that are really good at this size or do you have to go bigger to get mega impressive brightness?

Its a present for my dad, and I want to get him the best torch money can buy, but thats not too big.

Also I see there are 2 x AA torches and these lithuim 1850 or whatever versions of the same one. Is it always better to go with the lithium? Better brightness?

Last edited:
Ok can someone torch boffin kindly give me some advice??

I want the best torch that I can get thats a reasonable size..

So something about the size of a 2 x AA maglite..

Are there any of these super bright LED torches that are really good at this size?

Its a present for my dad, and I want to get him the best torch money can buy, but thats not too big.

If its a 2 AA and money isnt a issue then this:

http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/nitecore/nitecore-infilux-ifd2-r5.html

Im in the process of buying a MTE SF-15 SSC P7-D-SXO 4-Mode Memory 900-Lumen LED Flashlight (1*18650) Its only made in China but has MANY 9/10 reviews from around the world from indipendant reviwers. It doesnt use AA bats tho only 18650 (best to get rechargables) It has 900 Lumens (but a lot of reviwers say its more like 400-500) Im using it for early morning bike rides my self :)

Also.. it has a low price tag at £24. Ive pretty sure its been featured on the gadget show too! (not 100% sure about that tho :( )

Back
Top Bottom