Spec me an LED Torch

Something arrived in the post :D

It sure does look and feel nice in the hand and the variable output ring is silky smooth! :p More pics to follow.

V10RBox.jpg

How much again? :D It has a re-enforced AR coated lens too by the looks of it on that video! Really like the smoothness of the power dial.

Come on mrk don't remind me of the price! :p

Yep the lens looks really impressive, super clear and has some sort of coating that gives it the blue/purple tint.

I've been looking at the Jetbeam too. I wouldn't mind getting myself something bigger like the BC40. I've got a few bits including an ultrafire mcu c9 coming from manafont at some point too.

I've had cheap LED torches in the past including a zoomable R5 off an auction site which is suprisingly good but just fancied something beautifully made for a change.

The Jetbeams do looks decent though.

I would like the Ti but I can't justify the price as I'd only be wanting it for the design over anything else since all my lighting needs are covered by the C8, L2 and BC40 but having another torch that feels as professional as the BC40 would be nice!

As an upgrade to the BC40 I've been eyeing up the T40CS:

http://www.sunwayman.com/html/products/201109/63.html

So much want! Everything the BC40 has but with more run time and more range! All in due time :p

Last edited:
I'd originally looked at the Nitecore Infilux IFE1 but that's a £100 torch too and from reading reviews on it a lot of people recommended the V10R. The black aluminium bodied one can be had for around £50 but I guess it's still expensive when you can pick up brighter torches for less money. It's just nice to have something that looks and feels nice to hold :p Get one you know you want to!

Certainly looks impressive for the money.

500 metres range! are you planning on joining a search and rescue team or something!? :p

Just as a quick note, I bought mine from http://www.sunwayman.co.uk - ordered about 2pm and it came the next day. They were also cheaper than places like flashaholics.
That T40CS is £85 on there.

Last edited:
Just got my Jetbeam last night! took it out for a spin! and jesus it puts the maglite to shame!! :D

thanks a lot guys really chuffed with it ;0

Certainly looks impressive for the money.

500 metres range! are you planning on joining a search and rescue team or something!? :p

It will come in handy when the world ends in 2012 and/or Zombie apocalypse ;)

Just got my Jetbeam last night! took it out for a spin! and jesus it puts the maglite to shame!! :D

thanks a lot guys really chuffed with it ;0

Hehe I assume it's the BC40? It's not hard to beat a Maglite though but the BC40 is tremendous at everything it does :p

The review here of the T40CS looks good but I notice the run time is only at close to rated specs using 3100mAh batteries. Perhaps I could improve the run time of my BC40 by buying better batteries too, would be a cheaper increase for run time as well. Hmmm!

I did vow not to buy a new torch for a while after the BC40 before too lol

Edit*

I just realised the T40CS has a smooth reflector, no wonder the throw is so long. Once I get a smooth on the BC40 it will no doubt exceed 500 metres as it's 345 with the orange peel one.

I guess this means I no longer desire a T40 :p

Also anyone else with a BC40 try this, close your eyes, stick the BC40 on max and at arms reach and aim it at your face, turn it on. Feel your face heat up very very quickly!

Such a powerful torch!

I might try toasting some bread with it, or ants ¬_¬

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend me a torch. Needs to work off RCR123s, have a pocket clip so I can clip it on pointing downward, and have a low mode (just enough to read by). Preferably so I don't have to cycle through modes to turn it on and off too. A floody beam would be better than a spot really, but I don't think I'm going to have much choice with the other requirements.

I like the looks of the Jetbeam BC20, looks pretty much ideal except the clip looks a bit flimsy, being removable. Ideally the clip needs to be part of the body, or at least attached by screws or something.

(I'd also like the moon on a stick please, and all this for less than £10. )

I know thats quite specific and asking a lot, but anyone got any suggestions?

Last edited:
What brand 2900? If you're going to get a high mAh battery then go for a good brand such as AW.

Otherwise the tried and tested 2400mAh protected cells from various brands will be perfectly fine.

In other news, my BC40 appears to have died! I was out exploring today and when I got back gave it a quick wash. It appears to not turn on any more. Obviously it's waterproof to 2 metres so washing it is not a problem and I checked the seals and nothing is broken either, spontaneous emitter death?

I've emailed JetBeam and JetBeam UK to see if they will repair/replace under warranty but it was bought from an eBay power seller so I'm not sure what they will say about that. I hope they do replace it.

If they say no I will try via the seller and if he says no then I'll probably just have to upgrade to the Sunwayman T40CS....!

I'm thinking of buying this cheap front cycle light from ebay:

3x CREE 2400 Lumens XM-L T6 LED +2x XPE R2 LED Bike Bicycle Light 6400mAh

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3x-CREE-2...ighting_Lamps_Lighting_SM&hash=item2316598710

Whilst I realise this isn't going to be anything near 2400 lumens in reality, can anyone please give me some idea as to how long the batteries may last based on the limited spec given? It's got 3 main settings:
1) T6 on with both XPE R2 off
2) T6 off with both XPE R2 on
3) T6 and both XPE R2 on.

Last edited:
Never seen those before so no idea, perhaps some cyclists will shed some...light ¬_¬

*edit
Interesting turn of events.

I checked my Ultrafire 2400 protected batteries and found one to have erratic readings n the multimeter. I noticed that after a short charge to above 2.75v the faulty cell when connected to the meter started to show decreasing voltage, about 0.1v every few seconds.

The cell is completely buggered!

I’ve decided to use the remaining UF 2400 in the zoomable torch and have ordered a pair of FJD 2600 protected cells.

Hopefully this ends the issues :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom