Spec me an LED Torch

Last edited:
I'd say the cheaper one is more practical if its going to get damaged, lost or swiped by the local magpie anyway

Out of these 10 dollar lights which is the best for a schoolkid walking home

http://www.dealextreme.com/c/cree-flashlights-901?page=1&pagesize=52&pagesort=price

This one looks related to the tesco one mentioned and maybe I can upgrade them to a proper battery later
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mini-cree-q3-220-lumen-3-mode-white-led-flashlight-1x14500-1xaa-102627

I wouldn't go for that one, it's probably not going to be very durable.
you could try one of these:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/trustf...umen-memory-led-flashlight-1-aa-1-14500-28544

I had one and it was great until i lost it (i was rather upset about that).
Takes nice and cheap AA batteries, on which it'll be acceptably but not blindingly bright. It also won't get hot on AAs so if it gets left on until the battery runs out it won't cook itself.

Build quality is very very good for the price.

Morning all. Please could someone spec me a new torch.

At the moment I have a couple of decent Fenix lights (P1D and P3D) which are OK in terms of brightness but just don't feel chunky enough to hold if I'm walking the dog. I used to have a LED Lenser Police Tech Focus (until number one son decided to leave it on a bus) which was perfect size-wise but not bright enough for trying to locate a Springer Spaniel if he decides chasing a pheasant across fields is more appealing than obeying my commands (which is most of the time). I like the look of the LED Lenser T7 but it seems a bit overpriced.

Ideally, the torch would have a similar look/size to the T7, emit 250 lumens at the very least, have decent runtime, have 3 or more modes (high, medium, low), have good build quality and preferably use AA batteries (preferable, due to me having hundreds of the things, but perhaps not essential). Budget is not that important but it should probably be less than a T7!

I quite like the Ultrafire C8 and 502B but would rather avoid eBay if at all possible - never used it and no intention to do so - and don't seem to be able to find them anywhere in the UK.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Morning all. Please could someone spec me a new torch.

At the moment I have a couple of decent Fenix lights (P1D and P3D) which are OK in terms of brightness but just don't feel chunky enough to hold if I'm walking the dog. I used to have a LED Lenser Police Tech Focus (until number one son decided to leave it on a bus) which was perfect size-wise but not bright enough for trying to locate a Springer Spaniel if he decides chasing a pheasant across fields is more appealing than obeying my commands (which is most of the time). I like the look of the LED Lenser T7 but it seems a bit overpriced.

Ideally, the torch would have a similar look/size to the T7, emit 250 lumens at the very least, have decent runtime, have 3 or more modes (high, medium, low), have good build quality and preferably use AA batteries (preferable, due to me having hundreds of the things, but perhaps not essential). Budget is not that important but it should probably be less than a T7!

I quite like the Ultrafire C8 and 502B but would rather avoid eBay if at all possible - never used it and no intention to do so - and don't seem to be able to find them anywhere in the UK.

Ignoring the huge cost for a moment, what do you think of this;
http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/olight/olight-s65-baton.html

Uses 6xAA cells and is ultra-bright? form factor ought to be acceptably chunky I would have thought :)

The C8 uses 18650 cells, so you would need to buy a charger and cells, if you don't already own them. Or use CR123.

You don't need to buy from ebay, I believe they sell them at Dealextreme and a few other places, im sure someone can link you to a decent site. I'm sure some UK sites will sell it, but you'll pay a premium. Best to buy from HK if you can wait a week or so for delivery IMO.

Hmm, I cant find many places selling it in the UK. Found one here: http://www.tacticalairsoftshop.co.u..._Lumens_Flashlight_w|Pressure_Switch_TAS00610

£28 from the UK store and I just bought one last night for £6 from ebay. I think you should take this opportunity to make an account :D

Last edited:
Thanks, guys.

Ignoring the huge cost for a moment, what do you think of this; http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/olight/olight-s65-baton.html Uses 6xAA cells and is ultra-bright? form factor ought to be acceptably chunky I would have thought :)

Certainly looks good but the price is difficult to ignore! For that price I would expect it to come with a brace of vestal virgins to hold the torch for me. :D But, yes, form factor, battery configuration and brightness all look excellent.

£28 from the UK store and I just bought one last night for £6 from ebay. I think you should take this opportunity to make an account :D

That's an incredible price. I think I may just have to venture down the eBay route. If I can pick up a C8 so cheaply, it doesn't matter if it proves to be the wrong item.

That doesn't matter^^ Older can be better when you're looking at XP-G (R5), XR-E (Q5) and XM-L (T6) torches. There are certain reasons to get one or the other. The Q5 version is plenty bright and its advantage is that the emitter surface is smaller so the throw is far longer. The XM-L emitter has a larger surface area so the throw and centre beam is wider, that gives more flood power but as you have probably guessed, illuminates less distant objects.

On a torch like the JetBeam BC40, the reflector is quite deep so an XM-L is capable of lighting several hundred meatres. The C8 isn't as deep even though the diameter is about the same so won't be lighting up stuff as far.

If you need to light up for long distances then get the Q5 version, if it's short distances then the XM-L version.

I've got a P60 Ultrafire XM-L Drop-in for trade if anyone is interested, I'll bung it on MM if there's interest. It's with a smooth reflector (which is new) and I've decided to keep the SolarForce XP-G in my L2 purely for the above reason, the centre beam is tighter on the XP-G so suits my need for the L2 host.

The drop-in has 5 modes (low, mid, high, strobe, sos) and is rated to 650 lumen at 4.2v and was bought from Manafont quite some time ago.

Pics:

ultrafireXM-L_3.jpg

ultrafireXM-L_2.jpg

ultrafireXM-L_1.jpg

The postman left a package for me today..
IMG_2244.jpg

wonder what it could be?
IMG_2245.jpg

Dad's Christmas present.. done :p.
IMG_2252.jpg

...and some random free gift.
IMG_2249.jpg

Couldn't help but try it and it's fairly bright it has to be said even on 'low' :D. Need to test the batteries with the multimeter and charge them really, shame the multimeter has gone missing!

Looking good everyone! :D

I got my 4Sevens Maelstrom G5 from Amigafan2003 today, it's outstanding :D
Almost as much throw as mrk's Ultrafire C8 XR-E but with more light output and better build quality, which you'd hope for, given that it retails for about ten times as much :p :eek:

Off to SA tomorrow... furious day of packing and prepping awaits :(

Looking good everyone! :D

I got my 4Sevens Maelstrom G5 from Amigafan2003 today, it's outstanding :D
Almost as much throw as mrk's Ultrafire C8 XR-E but with more light output and better build quality, which you'd hope for, given that it retails for about ten times as much :p :eek:

Off to SA tomorrow... furious day of packing and prepping awaits :(

Glad you like it Aod :-)

So, do you want first dibs on my McGizmo Haiku? :D

It's been a while!

Don't ask me how, but I have managed to lose my Sky Ray 3xT6 , probably a good thing as it did burn a hole through my carpet :p. But the annoying this is, it has NOT been taken outside of the house. Pretty frustrating as I've looked everywhere I can think of. I have no idea where it has gone. All I can say is good thing it has protected cells fitted, I'm sure 6 months down the line it will pop up somewhere?!

The itch needs scratching and I am eyeing up a Zebralight again. Noticed that Zebralight are starting to ship SC600w... it's my birthday at the weekend so.. Mmmm?!

Anyone else been experiencing the love for neutral or warm emitters? Since my Zebralight H51w was delivered I've been using every night for reading/night light.

Last edited:
can someone recommend me a torch?
i want it to be
- very bright (but not blind everyone within 5 miles bright)
- pocket size (about 20cm length, 4cm diameter at widest point)
- long battery life
- will run using rechargeable (i have AAA, AA and 18650 rechargeable currently, but will get others if they give a better option)
- fairly weighty
- have fairly easy to obtain replacement parts (this means available on sites like ebay and amazon etc or major retail chains)
- be able to take some abuse
my budget is nothing stupid, if the torch that will suit my needs cost £5, £20, £50 or even £100.

the torch will be for walking in poorly lit areas when its dark, currently I use my galaxy s2, but i want something
more suitable ie a torch.

if possible and allowed, please link to seller's website

Last edited:
It's been a while!

Don't ask me how, but I have managed to lose my Sky Ray 3xT6 , probably a good thing as it did burn a hole through my carpet :p. But the annoying this is, it has NOT been taken outside of the house. Pretty frustrating as I've looked everywhere I can think of. I have no idea where it has gone. All I can say is good thing it has protected cells fitted, I'm sure 6 months down the line it will pop up somewhere?!

The itch needs scratching and I am eyeing up a Zebralight again. Noticed that Zebralight are starting to ship SC600w... it's my birthday at the weekend so.. Mmmm?!

Anyone else been experiencing the love for neutral or warm emitters? Since my Zebralight H51w was delivered I've been using every night for reading/night light.

Sorry to hear about your SkyRay, i'm sure it'll turn up eventually.
The SC600 has a bulletproof rep, i say go for it :D

My EDC's has been a light with a beautiful Warm-white HCRI XP-G for several months now, it's exactly the same as an incandescent but three times the efficiency :D

I'm after a little bit of advice. I've ordered myself a Sunwayman V10R and I'm a little unsure on batteries.

It uses a single CR123A but I noticed these come in various voltages 3V and 3.7V. I presume there is no problem using either in the torch as it has a working voltage of 0.9~4.2V.??

The other thing is I can get a small extension to allow me to use a single AA battery (at around half the light output) does this mean I could use a 14500 battery with the said adapter?

Finally is there any benefit in using a 14500 over a CR123A? I'm just trying to work out what batteries/charger would be best to buy.

Thanks in advance :)

Back
Top Bottom