Spec me an LED Torch

Got to admit I do like the look of that little BC25. Looks deceptively small though, its actually the same length as the L2P. Only thing that is putting me off is the secondary mode is only 100 lumens, which isn't enough. 200 or so would have been much more useful for me.

Anyone know how Jetbeam compare with Fenix in terms of build quality? They seem to be priced a bit cheaper, but looking at the packaging suggests they are a budget make to me.

I would ignore the packaging, the packaging is fairly “high street” but the build quality and material quality is way above what you’re expecting for the price. I'd rate it as good as anything costing double the price (LED Lenser, Fenix etc)

All B series torches also adhere to the same build spec, water proof, scratch proof mineral glass, AR coated lenses, shock proof and all the various protection and regulation circuits.

I also think the switches on the JetBeams feel the best, nice smooth action on partial press and dampened clicky action on full press.

They mainly make torches in accordance with US Military requirements too it seems so I would expect the build to be very high anyway :p They non B series torches do cost quite a bit as well though!

Last edited:
Short list so far. Fenix is around £10 more and has less lumen output. But it has 4 output modes, 5 - 58 - 180 - 468. The Jetbeam is more compact and is brighter and cheaper but only 2 modes :(. Any more to consider?

QE6Re.jpg

rHdwm.jpg

All pocket clips on all of these torches "look" flimsy though :p They are all removable (and flexible by design) so would look as such!

I'm too tempted by the BC10 or BC25 even after spending slmost £18 on the L2 the last 10~ hours!

Argh!

The only thing I don't like about Fenix is lack of tailstand ability, this is quite important for me because bouncing light off the ceiling to inspect a room is quite necessary most of the time on explores.

Yeah that is annoying. I think the TK series is aimed at Military so the tailcap is designed for use with gloves.

I wish they offered a tail stanable version.

EDIT: Seems the BC25 throttles down to 430lm after 5 mins on high. So about the same as the Fenix after 5 mins.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of buying this cheap front cycle light from ebay:

3x CREE 2400 Lumens XM-L T6 LED +2x XPE R2 LED Bike Bicycle Light 6400mAh

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3x-CREE-2...ighting_Lamps_Lighting_SM&hash=item2316598710

Whilst I realise this isn't going to be anything near 2400 lumens in reality, can anyone please give me some idea as to how long the batteries may last based on the limited spec given? It's got 3 main settings:
1) T6 on with both XPE R2 off
2) T6 off with both XPE R2 on
3) T6 and both XPE R2 on.

Quoting back to my first post on these lights, I've emailed a few people who have bought this set and they're telling me that they're getting around 3 hours run time with the lights on full. I've now bought myself a set!
I'm not sure if I can fix these to a standard universal mount so I'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Just FINALLY received my UltraFire C8 XM-L T6 today and jesus it's bright! Seems quite well built, seem to have got relatively good one! Only down side is it sometimes cycles modes when turning on and off, but the button was stiff when I first tried it and it's getting easier to press now and it's happening less.

How long do they last on full power?

EDIT: I'm already looking what other torches I can buy! I want something a little smaller now to replace my cheapo AA sized jobby! ARGH! Damn you OcUK!.... any suggestions? £30 max, ideally Li-ion powered now I've got my new charger etc :)

Last edited:
All pocket clips on all of these torches "look" flimsy though :p They are all removable (and flexible by design) so would look as such!

The Quark ones look miles better, still removable, but not going to pop off if you pull them.

Like their reprogramable modes too. Clever.

Just got my C8 Q5, I didn't realise the C8 had a plastic reflector and lens :(. The lens is covered in scratches and the reflector has a bubble in the silver paint lol. Still, it was £6, but I think this is the only budget light I will buy.

Je9qX.jpg

One of the reasons I like more expensive torches, just look at the thread difference :p.

Your switch seems different to mine, when I took mine apart it was more closer in design to the P60 host tail switches.

For how much these cost, just buy the cheapest C8 you can find and swap the tail cap over, job done :p

Just found a pack of ten on Manafont for $4.39. Buying a whole unit might be the better idea, but on the other hand I need it asap and I might buy the pack then stick the rest on eBay and see if they shift (and if not, keep them as spares).

Also need some 1mm o-rings as one has already split!

But they're not all the same. The one on my WF502-B is screwed on as opposed to just clipped on.

Last edited:
Hmm not seen those but I can't imagine these popping off randomly though!

dbmzk, BC10 is what you want by the sounds of it!

Looks very nice, but is a little pricey. When you consider this C8 was less than £10 spending £40 seems a bit much. I'd be looking for £25 max really - using 18650 cells is a plus as I've got a few of them now, but any will do.

Here are some pics of the C8! Next to is is the cheap AA LED thing I've currently got, it's a bit crap :p

20111129123654.jpg

20111129123707.jpg

Intend on getting some Sanyo Enolopes AA's would they suit a flashlight?

They work well with LED torches that take AA batteries, however I don't know of an AA compatible torch that can compete with these new fangled battery types.

Best torch i know of in an affordable price bracket that takes AA batteries is the Fenix LD20, however something in the same price bracket that uses 18650 batteries would be twice as bright. I have a Fenix L2D and it's bright enough for any average torch use (good enough for urban cycling at night too), it's well built and nice and compact, use it with Eneloops every day when i cycle to and from work.

The Jetbeam BA20 looks pretty good at 270 claimed lumens. But only 2 modes and the low mode is 30 lumens. Means you'd need to take a pile of AA batteries with you on a long bike ride.

Back
Top Bottom