Spec me: Thief deterrents for the garden fence

Permabanned
Joined
10 Apr 2004
Posts
13,122
Location
Darlington, County Durham
Basically mother-in-law had somebody try to climb the fence tonight, and she got a hell of a shock. She opened the door, to see them trying to climb over :eek:, and they made a run for it.

So basically we're looking for some thief deterrents for her garden now.

She already has a flood light, but it's PIR view to the back gate is blocked (use handle as a ledge to climb over gate/fence).

Thinking of a PIR sensor which beeps when it picks somebody up.

Also thinking of carpet tacks along the run of the fence and gate, with generous slops of anti climb (?) paint to help put them off.

Will definitely be getting some padlocks for the back gate now, so if they do get over then they'll have to climb back over the gate - rather than just undo the bolts, and open the gate.
 
Soldato
Joined
26 Aug 2003
Posts
24,262
basmic said:
Also thinking of carpet tacks along the run of the fence and gate, with generous slops of anti climb (?) paint to help put them off.

Anything spiky could potentially land you in trouble. Sad, and retarded, but there we go. Just cover the thing in greasepaint, it'll stop it being worth their while with any luck.
 
Soldato
Joined
2 May 2004
Posts
19,946
basmic said:
Basically mother-in-law had somebody try to climb the fence tonight, and she got a hell of a shock. She opened the door, to see them trying to climb over :eek:, and they made a run for it.

So basically we're looking for some thief deterrents for her garden now.

She already has a flood light, but it's PIR view to the back gate is blocked (use handle as a ledge to climb over gate/fence).

Thinking of a PIR sensor which beeps when it picks somebody up.

Also thinking of carpet tacks along the run of the fence and gate, with generous slops of anti climb (?) paint to help put them off.

Will definitely be getting some padlocks for the back gate now, so if they do get over then they'll have to climb back over the gate - rather than just undo the bolts, and open the gate.

Metal fence, attach mains to fence.

Huge shock when touched :p
 
Permabanned
Joined
24 Jul 2005
Posts
15,697
Location
R'lyeh
Bloody big nails sticking out of the top, that's what you want. If you get any hassle from the jobsworth loony left brigade just do what I did and tell 'em where they can stick their big noses.
 
Soldato
Joined
20 Oct 2002
Posts
3,467
Location
London, UK
have lots of these waiting for em at the bottom :cool:

view.jpg
 
Associate
Joined
16 Nov 2006
Posts
2,220
Location
Cardiff
any fencing with a foot or 2 of trellis on the top will make them think twice, as the trellis is weak and will break when climbed making a lot of noise = they will choose a softer target.
 
Associate
Joined
6 Feb 2007
Posts
1,259
Location
Derbyshire
barbed wire coiled accross the top.

We used to have a fence that backed onto a school, the kids used to try and climb over tree stumps and trees against the fence. I drove 6 inch nails into the stumps and bolt-cropped the ends off folowed by smaller tac-nails into srategic "hand grab" points on the tree.

A few days later I was approached by some chav at the school who complained "you've bust me new nike airs".

We also spoke to the local police force about what we could do to deter the garden jumpers, they basically said you can do anything you want (from razer wire to paint mines) aslong as you put a sign up. Not sure how true this holds today as this was 10 years ago now.
 
Associate
Joined
23 Feb 2006
Posts
1,597
Location
croydon,surrey
put some nails in the top of it saw the heads of so lil spiky bout 1.5 cm sticking out means there not sharp so they won't cut themselves but still hurt like hell when they have there hands on then with there weight aswell.
i dunno if legal but a lot of places around my area cement glass ontop .
 
Soldato
Joined
13 Aug 2004
Posts
8,329
Location
England
taske said:
Not sure how true this holds today as this was 10 years ago now.

You can still use barbed wire:

(From a Gov. website) If you use barbed or razor wire, under the Occupiers' Liability Act 1984 you may take reasonable precautions to prevent injury to other people caused by dangers on your property. If you are building a wall on the boundary with your neighbour, you may need your neighbour's permission (under the Party Wall Act). If you live somewhere, such as an estate, where there are restrictions in force, you may need to get special permission.

http://www.crimereduction.gov.uk/yp/ypgcp01.htm
 

FTM

FTM

Soldato
Joined
10 Dec 2003
Posts
6,173
Location
South Shields
carpet gripper rods attatched just under the top of the fence on her side...not visible from the other side and really bites in when they put their hands over to grip the fence to pull themselves over...anti vandal paint on the top
 

Mat

Mat

Soldato
Joined
18 Oct 2002
Posts
13,928
millsy888 said:
any fencing with a foot or 2 of trellis on the top will make them think twice, as the trellis is weak and will break when climbed making a lot of noise = they will choose a softer target.

As far as I know this is the standard approach these days. Cheap, not unsightly and doesnt appear as damaging to the criminal as I imagine it would be.

A few spiky bushes at the bottom of the fence will also help as will a 500W halogen light. Although if you're Scottish, it would have to be thistles as we all know criminals in Scotland all walk aboot barefoot ;) :D
 
Back
Top Bottom