Spec me: Thief deterrents for the garden fence

Soldato
yermum said:
Try growing a Pyracantha AKA firethorn bush, or an Ilex aquifolium 'Ferox' AKA hedgehog holly. There are pretty, ornate versions of both, plus once these really get going, you cannot get past them for thorns.

pyrocanthus is brilliant, an evergreen bush with BIG thorns, lovely white blossom in the spring and loads of bright red berries all winter.

I'll take you some cuttings for nowt if you cba to come down to surrey to pick them up

Paul

Soldato
Liverpool-Lad said:
'Fits to walls, fences, pipes, gates and sills to deter unwelcome visitors.'

I dont see why it wouldnt work...
You're right, I stand corrected. No excuse either because I read that catalogue all the time! :o

I didn't realise they could be attached to curved surfaces and fences! The ones I've seen are very sturdy strips that attach to the top of brick walls.

Zip

Zip

Soldato
Get a box thorn Bush growing on both sides of the fence. They grow fast and are really a ***** of a plant(literally :p )

Lycium%20ferocissimum1.jpg

Not the enormous Thorns on this plant? The whole bloody thing is thorons growing on thorns :D

Description:
Box thorn forms a large intricately branched shrub, which may sometimes climb into trees. The plant is covered in long sharp thorns and the wood is very tough. The leaves are small, bright green 1-3cm long, smooth and slightly fleshy. Flowers are white with purple markings. Fruits are small fleshy berries ripening to red, rather like a small (to 12mm) egg tomato.

anyone brave enough to climb through one of those deserves to get into the backyard TBH :p

dun

dun

Soldato
phykell said:
ALARM MINES: [url]http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/ALARM_MINES.htm

Yep i'd go with the above. When I tested our old trip wire I nearly carped myself and i knew it was coming so a sly fence hopper in the middle of the night should get a nasty shock.

Associate
Stick some spikes or broken glass on the wall and then put up a proper sign (no diy job) on the other side of the wall, saying warning do not attempt to climb the wall etc due to spikes etc. Get someone to take a picture of you standing next to the sign on the wall with the date imprinted on the picture.

Then just remove the sign and you can not be done if they hurt themselves while climbing the wall because you took appropriate steps to warn the intruder. If you are taken to court show them the picture. its not your fault if someone removes the sign ;)

Caporegime
One of my workmates who came home to a intruder in his garden shed, silicon sealed broken glass to the top edge of the fence. Although not legal he said he woulddeny he'd done it. Say the previous owner must have done it and he hadn't noticed.

I doubt that would stand up but the burgler would still have to go to the police to say he cut his hands trying to break in.

Suspended
You can legally use spike strips to stop this, they look like the strips of spikes you get around buildings to keep the birds away. They use them on that burglary program with that blad Don guy and the big black burglar.

The other thing is to put lattice down the tops of the fence, if anyone tries to climb it it will make a hell of a noise when it breaks under there weight.

Or smash up some glass, put cement around the top of the fence and stick glass pieces in.

Man of Honour
You can get rubber spikes. These make it very uncomfortable to put weight on and you cant get in trouble, like you can with barbed wire.

You can also get thick black grease like stuff, which makes it slippery and covers them as well.

Soldato
With my previous occupation being a teenage yob, i can offer you some advice!

Glass/nails/paint wont deter anyone but casual vandals, as they will throw a thick coat over and climb on the coat.
Trellising is got around by climbing over at the post (it also gives handy footholes)

Lights and CCTV are the best option, but the fake ones are really obvious to someone in the know. Its best to get one thats enclosed with black glass, so you never know where its pointing.

Caporegime
Why not have a pool of ribena at the bottom of the fence on the garden side.

That is sure to stain there chavish cloths. Or something more extreme like molten tar.

Or even better Marmite. :eek: :eek: :eek: Imagine drowning in a pool of Marmite. :eek:

Associate
I have a row of nails pointing upwards from my fence to deter thieves.
I also have 2 dogs, who bark when anybody gets near the gate.
If they are stupid enough to try and climb over after hearing them bark, then it's their own fault if they get impaled.

Oh and to all the do-gooders, I reckon that they would come off better dealing with the nails than if they actually got into my garden and had to deal with my bat ;)

Soldato
I recall years ago when I was a child some large walls had broken glass cemented into the tops of them. These years Im sure your not allowed to do that though!

Anyhow, you break into my garden/house and if I catch you, you will then leave my property:
A) arm in arm with the police
and
B) injured. 100% trust me.

I will deal with the consequences later. I have 3 family members in the police. I know exactly what can and cannot be "got" away with.

People do "injure" themselves every now and then. I will protect my property and family.

End of!

Back
Top Bottom