Spec me: Thief deterrents for the garden fence

Soldato
She needs an upgrade

Image5.jpg

Permabanned
Try growing a Pyracantha AKA firethorn bush, or an Ilex aquifolium 'Ferox' AKA hedgehog holly. There are pretty, ornate versions of both, plus once these really get going, you cannot get past them for thorns.

Man of Honour
Mat said:
As far as I know this is the standard approach these days. Cheap, not unsightly and doesnt appear as damaging to the criminal as I imagine it would be.
Definitely, trellis makes a horrendous noise if it breaks and will not break off completely without leaving bits sticking up etc.. that is what I am planning to do this spring, and grow some bush/creeper along it :)

Soldato
yermum said:
Try growing a Pyracantha AKA firethorn bush, or an Ilex aquifolium 'Ferox' AKA hedgehog holly. There are pretty, ornate versions of both, plus once these really get going, you cannot get past them for thorns.

Yup I'd go for this - I did this where I used to live to stop anyone trying it - it worked. This and a trellis are your best bets

Associate
FTM said:
carpet gripper rods attatched just under the top of the fence on her side...not visible from the other side and really bites in when they put their hands over to grip the fence to pull themselves over...anti vandal paint on the top

This works a treat. We've got something similar because we used to get people trying to climb over our 6 foot fence often, every few weeks for a number of years we'd get someone hopping the fence and breaking stuff during the night. Doesnt help that we have those fire hydrant posts on the outside of the fence that they can use to climb over the fence.

The strip of wood we fixed to the top of the fence (the fence is those vertical panels that are thick and one end thin at the other that overlap) we cut that piece of wood in half, top to bottom, hammered loads of nails about every centimetre though the half that is on the inside of the fence horizontally. Fixed the halves together again and fitted it. The nails stick out about 6-7mm

Three days later we were in the kitchen when we heard a massive scream about 11pm at night. Looked out of the window to see a pair of hands disappear from the top of the fence. We yelled out of the window "that'll teach you". We've only had one other person try and jump the fence about a month later. I had to clean the inside of the fence after that one cause i could see 8 lines of blood down the top 18 inches of the fence. That was about 4 years ago and we havent had any more attempts of people jumping the fence since. Although no one actually knows about the nails as they are painted the same colour as the wood.

Best of all, no one ever complained or contacted the police because they cant exactly say "i was trying to break into their garden by climbing over the fence and impaled my fingers of something sharp" :D

Permabanned
Byron5184 said:
Best of all, no one ever complained or contacted the police because they cant exactly say "i was trying to break into their garden by climbing over the fence and impaled my fingers of something sharp" :D

But they could just as easily say 'I was trying to escape an angry dog, so tried to climb up the fence. I injured myself, and am therefore suing you.'

It would then be up to you to prove that you had known in advance that they were going to burgle you.

The whole point is that someone is innocent until proven guilty, so to justify the pre-emptive injury you have inflicted you would have to prove that, without the gripper rods (or whatever deterrent you have in place) they would have committed a crime.

And its hard enough to prove things that have happened in the pat - its even harder to prove that something would have happened in the future ;)

Back
Top Bottom