Spec me..

Soldato
A car! :o

Healing is going to take longer than I expected so will primarily be using a car for the next 6 months!
So I want to take spend as little out of my bike fund as possible! so budget is £2-2.5k
I wont be doing massive miles in it, trip to work is 20 miles a day and just general running about.
I really like the Fiat Coupe :D but I bet that wont be recommended here?
What about 2001 VW Golf/Polo GTI's?
I would love anything that will do 60 in under 10 seconds :p otherwise I will go mad seeing as I cant ride yet!

So you experienced people of Motors what do you recommend :)

Soldato
Anything that fun is going to be expensive, even large engined hot hatches.

Looking at PH clasif. It should be possible to get a Coupé with a full service history in budget and under 100,000 miles, maybe even with a reasonably recent cam belt service. You're just looking at 1998 & earlier, but I think this will be better than a lunar 2000 model. Just look for corrosion on the sills and inner arches. This would be as cheap to run as the Coupé could get.

Something with a 2.0L VTEC could provide the thrills, anything in budget? I know the S2000 is still too expensive.

Soldato
surely this is the answer ;)

stabilisers.jpg

Soldato
OP
Haha :D cant still wont work with my arm :(

Anything that fun is going to be expensive, even large engined hot hatches.

Looking at PH clasif. It should be possible to get a Coupé with a full service history in budget and under 100,000 miles, maybe even with a reasonably recent cam belt service. You're just looking at 1998 & earlier, but I think this will be better than a lunar 2000 model. Just look for corrosion on the sills and inner arches. This would be as cheap to run as the Coupé could get.

Something with a 2.0L VTEC could provide the thrills, anything in budget? I know the S2000 is still too expensive.

Yea I thought as much, anything fun that will last a year? :p
How likely are engine probs with the cheap older quick cars?

The expensive to run stuff aside anything just reliable to recommend for around £2k?
2001 Golf/polo GTI's a not recommended then?

Don

The expensive to run stuff aside anything just reliable to recommend for around £2k?

Mondeo tbqfh :)

Soldato

2001 Golf GTi means a Mark IV and trust me you dont want one of them. They are dullsville personified! Comfy enough to cruise but dont expect it to raise even a smirk on your face.

How about a something like a 306 GTi-6? Or even it's ugly brother the Xsara VTS which is identical car but with more goodies and cheaper to purchase. If the thought of owning French puts you right off though, which it shouldn't do as you even considered a Fiat Coupe which lets face it isn't the holy grail when it comes to reliability - then possibly a Civic VTI-S?

Or how about a Mk1 MR2? ;)

Soldato
OP
French is fine just I find them boring :D normal car I use is a 106 and hate how it always feels like it needs another gear!
Prefere the look of the 306 out of those 3, and not sure on the MR2 :p they all look like they have been abused.

Associate
I was going to say 306 gti-6 as im biased. Its a lot of car for the money though. Only thing they are prone to snapping cambelts at about 35-40k so most people change the belts before 35k to be on the safe side. That will cost about £300 to get done so allow for that if you look at any.

Having ridden bikes for many years then having to chose the more practical vehicle I got one of these and have some great fun in it. I was no riding god and the only place I could corner as quick on a bike as in the car was on my fave roundabouts! With decent tyres and decent suspension the 6 does handle well for an old car :D

Associate
Change the belt, tensioner and pullies every 35k miles. It is getting harder to find a low miler Gti-6 now though. You could always go for a 306 Rallye. Slightly lighter and less electrics to go wrong. You'll be lucky to find a Gti-6 that has working air con anyway so the lighter car with it removed makes more sense.

Soldato
MKIV Golf 1.9tdi 150pd, 0-60 in 8.3, cheap to run, relatively cheap to insure, nice to drive. With a remap it's an easy 200bhp and a mountain of torque too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom