Speeding

Associate
I was pulled over for speeding recently and didn't get any penalty. I am curious as to why I got away with it. Do they need to have tracked your speed using a speed gun?

Thanks

Mat

Mat

Soldato
Were they following you in a car? If not, how would they have known you were speeding unless they had a gun?!

The question still stands though, how did you get away with it?

Associate
For a radar gun it needs to be pointed at the target for a certain amount of time to get a clear reading of speed. so what probably happened was the copper didnt get a clear enough reading on the radar gun to prosecute but knew you were speeding.

Edit: Oh just read that you were pulled over. how far were you over the speed limit? if it's not by much burnsy is probably right.

Associate
OP
hm

Were they following you in a car? If not, how would they have known you were speeding unless they had a gun?!

The question still stands though, how did you get away with it?

Yeah they were following me in a van. At first I just thought they wanted to get past so I pulled to the side of the road a bit (I drive a small car) - they did not pass.. so I took the hint this time.

So I guess thats it then? They need to have proof of my speed with a speed gun?

Caporegime
I got pulled over doing 110Mph and got away with it some how.

A) Could it have been because he was on his own?
B) Could it have been because he got an urgent call on his radio?

Associate
OP
For a radar gun it needs to be pointed at the target for a certain amount of time to get a clear reading of speed. so what probably happened was the copper didnt get a clear enough reading on the radar gun to prosecute but knew you were speeding.

Edit: Oh just read that you were pulled over. how far were you over the speed limit? if it's not by much burnsy is probably right.

The policeman thought I was doing 80 in a 60.

Associate
OP
Or the Officer decided no penalty was necessary as you had taken the words of advice on board.

I was very humble. I don't know what to make of it really. I want to drive at 80mph on that road - but I also want to keep a clean license. I suppose this is the wake up call I needed.

I only got my license end of last year so I am yet to figure out how careful to be about speed.

Soldato
I was followed a few years back for the full stretch of the M18 doing a stupid speed that I should not have been travelling at.

He told me his dissapointment and that I could face a ban. He did say that my signalling, general control of the car, stopping distances and lane discipline were very good.

I think he could see that I wasn't driving recklessley, just taking advantage of the clear / quiet road on a long journey home and then let me on my way with a stern ticking off.

I think they use common sense. If you are driving like a loon then expect to be punished to the full extent, but speed on its own doesn't always mean you will get done.

That said, I no longer drive at the speeds I was stopped at and I did learn a valuable lesson. Which shows his approach worked.

Soldato
So say you are doing 100mph and get stopped.

The police man asks, sir do you know how fast you were going?

Do you respond with:

- Um not really, 70?
or
- yes officer I was doing 100 and I am sorry I will not do it again.

Associate
OP
I was followed a few years back for the full stretch of the M18 doing a stupid speed that I should not have been travelling at.

He told me his dissapointment and that I could face a ban. He did say that my signalling, general control of the car, stopping distances and lane discipline were very good.

I think he could see that I wasn't driving recklessley, just taking advantage of the clear / quiet road on a long journey home and then let me on my way with a stern ticking off.

I think they use common sense. If you are driving like a loon then expect to be punished to the full extent, but speed on its own doesn't always mean you will get done.

That said, I no longer drive at the speeds I was stopped at and I did learn a valuable lesson. Which shows his approach worked.

Interesting. If only all police managed to garner this reputation.

Soldato

Do you respond with:

- Um not really, 70?
or

I was totally honest and told him I was fully aware of the speed I was doing. Pretending otherwise gets you nowhere.

Caporegime

Do you respond with:

- Um not really, 70?
or

I responded with:

He then said no,

I said 95

He said and the rest, told me he saw me get to 110 Mph, he then got a call on his radio, walked off, came back and told me if I'm caught speeding again at that speed my licence will be gone.

Soldato
Lucky sod OP.

Last (and final might I add) time I was caught for speeding, I had to go to court and stand infront of the magistrates behind the glass, felt like an absolute convict.

2 week ban, £300 fine. Was more than deserved and I got away very lightly.

In hindsight, going through that was necessary, never again will I be caught speeding in such a manner.

(97 in a 50.. :o)

Back
Top Bottom