Spent two to three days in Edinburgh - ** Here's my video **

Commissario
OP
Flights and hotel are booked. I'm staying at the Ibis Edinburgh Centre, South Bridge - Royal Mile. The Premier Inn (which had rooms yesterday) was full.

So I don't think I'm quite as central as I was but it'll do.

Soldato
Which bit of this

didn't you get?

Which bit of this

didn't you get?

:rolleyes:

easy sorted out the hotel turn left and keep walking till you reach Waverley station and jump a train to Glasgow, these are easily identified as the ones with the scorch marks and used needles littering the floor.

you are packing a stab vest aren't you?

joking aside take a day in Glasgow, much nicer place than that hole your staying in :)

Associate
If you get a nice day then walk from your hotel down Leith Walk to the Shore and have a pint or two at Teutcher's Landing. Leith & The Shore are the nicest and most interesting parts of the city, and you'll end up at a cracking pub by the waterside. It's downhill all the way and you can get a bus straight back up the road afterwards for £1.60. The Royal Yacht Britannia is nearby too if you fancied checking that out.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/5...8e9c3b65c!2m2!1d-3.187988!2d55.949698!1m0!3e2

Think you've covered most of everything else. Arthur's Seat will give you just about the best view going. Camera Obscura at the top of the Royal Mile has lots of optical illusion sillyness and is good fun (particularly with kids or a SO) - if you do that make sure you hang around for the actual camera obscura show at the top of the tower as it's a memorable experience.

Are you looking for food recommendations of a particular sort? Reekie's Smokehouse is just down the road from you and one of my favourite places to eat in town. It's almost exclusively BBQ style slow cooked meat though. I believe he now does haggis but haven't yet tried it myself.

http://www.reekiessmokehouse.co.uk/

Soldato
For drinks: Panda & Sons, Bramble or Dragonfly for a cocktail. Panda and Sons is quite a cool speakeasy affair.
The Guildford Arms is my favourite place for an ale.
Scran and Scallie for dinner. It's a bistropub owned by Tom Kitchin. Really good and reasonable money.
Get to Ghillie Duh one night and join in the celidih. Great fun, and they teach you the dances if you don't know them. Walking distance from Panda and Sons as well!

So I actually went to Edinburgh last night and heading back on the train now.

I'd like to add Hanover 99 to the list of good cocktail bars! A new one for me but very good drinks and great staff.

And get down to Leith shore. It's nice.

Caporegime
Edinburgh is such a fantastic place, you're spoiled for choice really. Having said that, I recommend:

IMG_1426-L.jpg

Soldato
I've stayed in that Ibis before. It's nice enough and still feels very central.

National Gallery, National Museum and Scottish Parliment building are all worth checking out.

Man of Honour
I too have stayed in that Ibis, a very nice place as I recall.
The restaurant 20 Princes Street was excellent, and there is a road behind it,
parallel with Princes Street, which had a couple of decent pubs in it.

Back
Top Bottom